Saudi oil facilities bombed by drones

Aviation Trivia, Jokes & Humour

Moderator: Moderators

ou toppie
Taxiing
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:43 pm
Closest Airfield: LEAX Aeropuerto de la Axa
Location: Pilarejo Spain(ex Cullinan SA)
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Saudi oil facilities bombed by drones

Unread post by ou toppie » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:10 am

Orthin Opter wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:58 pm
Darren wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:49 pm
Orthin Opter wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:36 pm
The simplest answer is usually to satisfy the simpletons, somehow I figure you are not one of them. So don your tin hat once more, make sure it is a loose fit and open your mind. A group named Architects and Engineers for the truth of 9/11 have won the right to convene a Grand Jury in the USA. (Google Grand Jury.) This means they have produced documented proof that the mainstream media BS is just that. The jury will look at the evidence produced, no media, no coercion, just decide based on evidence supplied, true or not.
https://www.ae911truth.org/grandjury

I have a challenge for you, light a bonfire in your backyard, use as much Jet A1 as you want to, plus office furniture, desks, carpets and even a few bags of your favourite braaihout. Then lay an I beam on the fire. See if you can melt it?
You have to be joking.

First of all, AE911 have not won the right to convene a grand jury, they have only petitioned a US Attorney under 18 U.S.C. § 3332 and have received a response that he'll comply with that statute and look into it. Like most such petitions the US Attorney will find that it is baseless and take it no further.

Second, we have actual materials scientists on AvCom who can tell you that steel beams lose most of their structural integrity at temperatures well within those seen in the towers.

In fact I don't even know why I'm addressing this. The 9/11 conspiracy theory has been disproved so many times.
OK Darren. Why did a skyscraper burn for three weeks in Italy without collapsing? That building is still in use today. I am confused.
Interesting documentary on UK TV recently re 9/11. Combination of molten aluminium from aircraft meeting with water from fire suppression system equals massive explosions. See instances of past explosions in aluminium refineries.

OT
User avatar
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5248
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 80 times

Re: Saudi oil facilities bombed by drones

Unread post by Fransw » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:45 am

About half Saudi's oil is blown away and that amounts to about 7% of the worlds oil. Not a train smash..
chartoftheday_19367_share_of_global_oil_production_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2485
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:41 pm
Closest Airfield: GRJ
Location: On my bed
Has liked: 313 times
Been liked: 58 times

Re: Saudi oil facilities bombed by drones

Unread post by MadMacs » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:27 am

Eish, I can only shake my head at the false info put forward here. The steel used in the trade centres was specifically made to withstand much higher temperatures than ordinary steel, they should not have weakened under any conditions except maybe a volcanic eruption or thermite.

As for the US going to war, please follow both parties public statements and you will find that the only common thing between the two parties, is that they both want war. Any politician who goes against the war narrative is severely ostracized publicly and branded a traitor.
I'm not old, I'm 18 with 46 years of experience :D
User avatar
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2485
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:41 pm
Closest Airfield: GRJ
Location: On my bed
Has liked: 313 times
Been liked: 58 times

Re: Saudi oil facilities bombed by drones

Unread post by MadMacs » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:38 am

Ask yourself how was it possible for those drones to hit the oil facility after Saudi Arabia has spent billions of dollars in recent years purchasing US Patriot missile defense systems and supposedly cutting-edge radar technology from the Pentagon. If the Yemeni rebels can fly combat drones up to 1,000 kilometers into Saudi territory and knock out the linchpin production sites in the kingdom’s oil industry, then that should be a matter of huge embarrassment for US. So the question to now ask is: who benefits from the loss of Saudi oil production and of course the answer is the US, who is now the largest exporter of oil.
I'm not old, I'm 18 with 46 years of experience :D
User avatar
snoopy
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 661
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:02 pm
Closest Airfield: FASH
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 94 times

Re: Saudi oil facilities bombed by drones

Unread post by snoopy » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:12 pm

Some SA context, and why this will impact us. Crude oil is one of South Africa's biggest imports and most of it comes from Saudi Arabia (by far the most of it 42.29%) followed by Nigeria and Angola in much smaller quantities. :arrow:
Vivere come se mai dovessimo morire
User avatar
Darren
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1240
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:56 pm
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Location: JHB
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 97 times

Re: Saudi oil facilities bombed by drones

Unread post by Darren » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:48 pm

MadMacs wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:38 am
Ask yourself how was it possible for those drones to hit the oil facility after Saudi Arabia has spent billions of dollars in recent years purchasing US Patriot missile defense systems and supposedly cutting-edge radar technology from the Pentagon. If the Yemeni rebels can fly combat drones up to 1,000 kilometers into Saudi territory and knock out the linchpin production sites in the kingdom’s oil industry, then that should be a matter of huge embarrassment for US. So the question to now ask is: who benefits from the loss of Saudi oil production and of course the answer is the US, who is now the largest exporter of oil.
First of all, the general assumption is that they're being smuggled into Saudi and launched at shorter ranges. Those recovered are not long-range systems. The UAE has previously criticised Saudi for weak internal security in this regard.

Second, lightweight composite or plastic drones are notoriously difficult for even the most advanced air defence systems to detect and shoot down, as has been shown time and time again in both demonstrative exercises and cases like this. Chat to anyone in the Air Defence Artillery role in the SANDF and they'll tell you the same thing. Why do you think counter-drone technology is such a hot product area right now?

Longer-range rockets are also not the easiest to shoot down. Israel has the world's best counter-rocket system in the world at the moment in the form of Iron Dome and even that sometimes lets rockets through. They're also frequently forced to scramble fighters to target drones at closer range rather than using Iron Dome or other air defence systems.

This is also not the first attack, the Houthis have hit airports and oil facilities in Saudi over half a dozen times in the past year or two.
User avatar
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5248
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 80 times

Re: Saudi oil facilities bombed by drones

Unread post by Fransw » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:53 pm

snoopy wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:12 pm
Some SA context, and why this will impact us. Crude oil is one of South Africa's biggest imports and most of it comes from Saudi Arabia (by far the most of it 42.29%) followed by Nigeria and Angola in much smaller quantities. :arrow:
Thanks for these facts! So we will feel it. But who cares about us... :?
User avatar
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3822
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:15 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Muizenberg
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 181 times

Re: Saudi oil facilities bombed by drones

Unread post by Jack Welles » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:03 pm

They're now saying that there's evidence it was low-flying cruise missiles launched from Iran.
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
User avatar
Darren
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1240
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:56 pm
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Location: JHB
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 97 times

Re: Saudi oil facilities bombed by drones

Unread post by Darren » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:12 pm

Jack Welles wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:03 pm
They're now saying that there's evidence it was low-flying cruise missiles launched from Iran.
Yes I saw, presumably a Quds-1, Soumar, or similar variant. It's not entirely impossible, given that Iran has given these to the Houthis in the past. Launching from Iranian soil would be quite an escalation though.
User avatar
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3822
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:15 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Muizenberg
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 181 times

Re: Saudi oil facilities bombed by drones

Unread post by Jack Welles » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:47 pm

Darren wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:12 pm
Jack Welles wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:03 pm
They're now saying that there's evidence it was low-flying cruise missiles launched from Iran.
Yes I saw, presumably a Quds-1, Soumar, or similar variant. It's not entirely impossible, given that Iran has given these to the Houthis in the past. Launching from Iranian soil would be quite an escalation though.
The claim is that some missed their targets and landed in the desert to the NORTH of the refinery (Yemen is to the South) and didn't detonate and are clearly of Iranian manufacture. Until now they've always worked through proxies, eg, Houthis, Hezbollah etc. So if true a major development.
These users liked the author Jack Welles for the post:
excolonial
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
User avatar
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 10152
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 332 times

Re: Saudi oil facilities bombed by drones

Unread post by cage » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:50 pm

Jack Welles wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:47 pm
The claim is that some missed their targets and landed in the desert to the NORTH of the refinery (Yemen is to the South) and didn't detonate and are clearly of Iranian manufacture. Until now they've always worked through proxies, eg, Houthis, Hezbollah etc. So if true a major development.
They were planted! It's a setup!
RT journalists have blurry photos of Ivanka Trump with a bucket and spade in the desert.
Case closed! :twisted:
User avatar
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2485
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:41 pm
Closest Airfield: GRJ
Location: On my bed
Has liked: 313 times
Been liked: 58 times

Re: Saudi oil facilities bombed by drones

Unread post by MadMacs » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:49 pm

Darren wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:48 pm
MadMacs wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:38 am
Ask yourself how was it possible for those drones to hit the oil facility after Saudi Arabia has spent billions of dollars in recent years purchasing US Patriot missile defense systems and supposedly cutting-edge radar technology from the Pentagon. If the Yemeni rebels can fly combat drones up to 1,000 kilometers into Saudi territory and knock out the linchpin production sites in the kingdom’s oil industry, then that should be a matter of huge embarrassment for US. So the question to now ask is: who benefits from the loss of Saudi oil production and of course the answer is the US, who is now the largest exporter of oil.
First of all, the general assumption is that they're being smuggled into Saudi and launched at shorter ranges. Those recovered are not long-range systems. The UAE has previously criticised Saudi for weak internal security in this regard.

Second, lightweight composite or plastic drones are notoriously difficult for even the most advanced air defence systems to detect and shoot down, as has been shown time and time again in both demonstrative exercises and cases like this. Chat to anyone in the Air Defence Artillery role in the SANDF and they'll tell you the same thing. Why do you think counter-drone technology is such a hot product area right now?

Longer-range rockets are also not the easiest to shoot down. Israel has the world's best counter-rocket system in the world at the moment in the form of Iron Dome and even that sometimes lets rockets through. They're also frequently forced to scramble fighters to target drones at closer range rather than using Iron Dome or other air defence systems.

This is also not the first attack, the Houthis have hit airports and oil facilities in Saudi over half a dozen times in the past year or two.
Typical main stream media reply.
I'm not old, I'm 18 with 46 years of experience :D
User avatar
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 10152
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 332 times

Re: Saudi oil facilities bombed by drones

Unread post by cage » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:10 pm

MadMacs wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:49 pm
Typical main stream media reply.
That is a constructive post which does little other than reinforce the lack of depth to your debate skills nor the wobbly foundation of belief.
If you prefer fiction, I am certain RT will oblige.
Fiction, however, doesn't tend to survive scrutiny nor structured discussion.
These users liked the author cage for the post:
RiNCEw1ND
User avatar
Induna
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1239
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:01 am
Closest Airfield: FASD
Location: Port Owen - Western Cape
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Saudi oil facilities bombed by drones

Unread post by Induna » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:53 pm

cage wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:10 pm
MadMacs wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:49 pm
Typical main stream media reply.
That is a constructive post which does little other than reinforce the lack of depth to your debate skills nor the wobbly foundation of belief.
If you prefer fiction, I am certain RT will oblige.
Fiction, however, doesn't tend to survive scrutiny nor structured discussion.
Uncle Cage, I think you deserve a holiday for a few days where there is no internet... AVCOM can be a stressful place sometimes, and we all understand this. Have a few beers (or a bottle of your favourite orange juice brand) and enjoy the countryside.

(Pun intended.. don't take it too personal)
Jacques van der Westhuizen
ZS-WSW | Sonerai 2L
User avatar
rare bird
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2231
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:47 pm
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Saudi oil facilities bombed by drones

Unread post by rare bird » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:50 pm

Haha - Cage has grown old quickly! the first time someone called me "oom" I was quite insulted - now they call me "oupa" and I actually miss being called oom!
Your avitar has given me a clue to how they got they missiles/ ordinances through! distract them with pretty ladies with a bomb between their legs!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “123.45”