Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 146 times

Re: ConCourt - spanking unlawful

Unread post by Whirly » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:57 am

So now it is legal to grow and smoke pot at your home but not spank your kids?! Talk about absurd! :roll:

I had to laugh at all the Capies on TV last night, most said stuff the law and Government, they are their children and they would spank them. The rest said they were going to take their kids to the Constitutional Court to deal with them when they run out of ideas!! :lol: :lol:

Whirly.
These users liked the author Whirly for the post (total 2):
Ugly Ducklingrare bird
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
Ugly Duckling
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 309 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:37 am

Just saying :D

You can grow and use pot legally.

You can abort an unwanted pregnancy.

You can't [-X
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users liked the author Ugly Duckling for the post (total 3):
SNIPERV5 - LEOJean Crous
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
thelsa
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by thelsa » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:33 pm

Heard a discussion on Radio 702 yesterday regarding this matter. Some 'informed source' was quoted that the specific Bible scripture about spanking your child. According to this person the verse is taken out of context and should not even be in the Bible. :(
What I find very frustrating and rude of 702 is that whenever somebody differs from the talkshow host, the call is cut and the bad telephone line blamed for this.

If one can just realise why our country and younger generation is in such a state, ons must look at the lack of discipline as well the the lack of consequences for bad behaviour.
In our days we could discuss with our superiors should there be any difference of opinion. Today all you hear is WE DEMAND, WE DEMAND and when demands are not met our people burn and vandalise.

Why were there no disruption of service delivery in 'our day'? We were 'bl!ks!med' if we dare to behave badly. We respected our elders and authority.

Taken corporal punishment away we have the results we are seeing in our country. Why are we amazed. We have left the discipline of our children to schools (and the church in some cases).

Now lets start a new fight. This is my opinion
These users liked the author thelsa for the post:
Jean Crous
richard C
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 159 times
Been liked: 148 times

Unread post by richard C » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:38 pm

I am amazed at how neutral and evenly balanced the posts on this topic are. Would have expected more of the 'beat the little buggers senseless', but no.

I was youngest of three brothers. My Dad was as a reasonable gentle soul and would have to dish out the rare formal thrashing on occasion. My two older brothers were a handful, and went an enormous distance out of their way to be ungovernable. I came a few years later, and looked at that lot, took careful notes, and came to the considered conclusion that there was no gain in looking for trouble.

My mother, on the other hand, would lash out in a millisecond using anything handy. The most likely way to lose an eye on my household was from the hook of a coat-hanger that my mom would be beating you to the floor with. My notes read: "Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES make kak with that woman".

My own kids got smacks, and now they are young adults, said that they were grateful for a home with proper discipline. But we were light with it, and chose battles carefully. Half the challenge is researching, understanding, and then accepting the behavior your kids dish out. Expecting a teenage to act in any other way than a teenager is unnatural and illogical. Same with toddlers.

Once their behavior is demystified, it is far less annoying, and you can get on with enjoying the growing process with your kids.
These users liked the author richard C for the post (total 4):
POJean CrousFrontiersmanexcolonial
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 146 times

Unread post by Whirly » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:13 pm

richardC,

We are on the same page, for once! :D I got spanked at school and deserved 90% of it, for the other 10%...........................it was not my fault that I sucked at woodwork (compulsory in Std 6 & 7) and my table stood out like a sore thumb among all the other 30 odd tables and so all my other woodwork projects. :lol: I can tell you thought that if it was not for all those teachers that knew I was capable of much better and " motivated" me every now and then, I would not have passed school. We did not have any teachers that spanked us because they loved it Not only did I pass matric with university exemption, I did well enough to qualify for SAAF pilot training.

My own kids were spanked very few times, my son only till about the age of four and then never again and he turned out great. I left our daughter to my wife and she did the occasional spanking, but in such a manner that we had a good laugh afterwards. She is also doing great and we suspect she will one day be very much stricter with her own kids than we were with her.

At home I got spanked much less than I deserved, mostly by my mother and I can honestly say I pushed them to the limits. :lol: My dad hardly ever did and only when I was really cheeky and also way past the limits.

I think this law once again is not aimed a the majority of well balanced parents but those few that will abuse their powers and hurt their kids badly. :(

It really is an absurd law.

Whirly.
These users liked the author Whirly for the post (total 3):
richard CFrontiersmanexcolonial
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
Christo
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 54 times

Unread post by Christo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:31 pm

Also on that page. My 3yr old son gets a smack every once in awhile, I cannot see me doing that if he gets older and a conversation with him is actually fruitful, right now he just shrug his shoulders and will do exactly what I told him not to do 2 minutes ago. So first time we talk, second time he gets a raps on his bum and that is usually it, won't do it after that again. Taking his toys away means absolutely nothing to him, his attention span is so short he just goes on playing with something else 30 secs after you took it away. Time outs do work but with very very limited success. It will get him to stop throwing a vloermoer but if he was in timeout for something he will in most cases repeat that within minutes once het gets out of timeout.

Been a looooong time since I had to give my 6yr old daughter a smack on the bum. She is still stubborn like hell, for example she absolutely hate to clean up after she played with something and will just leave it there on the ground but these days taking those toys away is effective enough.
These users liked the author Christo for the post (total 2):
Jean Crousexcolonial
Due to the price increase in ammunition, do not expect a warning shot.

Sig Sauer, kinda like Glock except for men.
Cornell Blok
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by Cornell Blok » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:10 pm

I've never gave my son a hiding switching off the internet is much worse :lol:
Petrol attendant in Training/Car Wash Supervisor

http://www.travelairva.com
excolonial
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: komani
Has liked: 186 times
Been liked: 64 times

Unread post by excolonial » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:40 pm

Kids are calculating clever little terrorists, mine occasionally slips up mid wail and starts singing nursery rhymes. Not too funny at 2am.
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
rare bird
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 35 times

Unread post by rare bird » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:35 pm

I vaguely remember hearing about a book or article about the con court and the con artists that preside - can't recall the name of the article unfortunately - it seemed quite well researched - went into the moral (or immoral) back-grounds of some of the characters. yes there were a few good men, but most of them seemed to have lost hope, lost their faith, lost their morals and lost any common sense they ever had.
These users liked the author rare bird for the post:
flysouth
Wildcat_004
Flaps set for Take off
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 37 times

Unread post by Wildcat_004 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:43 pm

Here are a couple of guys who spanked their kids.....and suddenly Falafel is surprisingly absent. Talk about double standards...! I don’t care a hoot what your point is. Nobody will tell me what I do in my household. Fullstop. The Bible is very specific and I will use that because it’s a very straightforward instruction. And then you have the audacity to say you are right.....take a hike.
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 183 times

Unread post by Jack Welles » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:57 pm

rare bird wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:35 pm
I vaguely remember hearing about a book or article about the con court and the con artists that preside - can't recall the name of the article unfortunately - it seemed quite well researched - went into the moral (or immoral) back-grounds of some of the characters. yes there were a few good men, but most of them seemed to have lost hope, lost their faith, lost their morals and lost any common sense they ever had.
You're kidding, right? :shock:
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 183 times

Unread post by Jack Welles » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:02 pm

Wildcat_004 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:43 pm
Here are a couple of guys who spanked their kids.....and suddenly Falafel is surprisingly absent. Talk about double standards...! I don’t care a hoot what your point is. Nobody will tell me what I do in my household. Fullstop. The Bible is very specific and I will use that because it’s a very straightforward instruction. And then you have the audacity to say you are right.....take a hike.
There's a lot of things the law doesn't allow you to do in your own household. And it's secular and applies to everyone .

The Bible is only appropriate for one segment of society so doesn't in any way represent an all-encompassing law about anything for everyone.
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 73 times

Unread post by SlowApproach » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:11 pm

Another problem is that some parents are just incapable of- or unwilling to- see their brood as brats - and, when visiting, will usually just sit back all smug while their "Sweet Little Preciouses" run amok and destroy one's home and garden. (Much like the syndrome of neighbours who just cannot see a problem with their dogs barking incessantly all night long)

I think from now on a Tazer and some pepper spray will come in real handy...
Behind every angry woman is a man who has absolutely no idea what he did wrong.
rare bird
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 35 times

Unread post by rare bird » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:24 pm

Romeo E.T.
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:08 am

When I was growing up, the "whip" was NOT SPARED.....on more than one occasion blood was physically drawn
My parents, especially my father ruled like a tyrant, and respect was beaten, not earned

so much so, that post matric, I broke all communications with the parents, and proudly sing the famous by "Ole Blue eyes" ..I did it my way

Well the father passed away around 5 years ago, and I hadn't seen him (them) or spoken to them (or even a christmas card) for over 25 years, and I barely had a lump in my throat when I heard of his passing.
Since then my mother, being a lonley old woman, has tried to reconcile, and make up, but there is too much traumatic childhood memories, and too much time apart, for me to see her as anything other than someone I am supposed to be acquainted to/related to.

I was engaged for 7 years to another woman, that came with instant kids (baggage), and since they were not my own, I felt no need to discipline them, but rather preferred the "transactional analysis" approach first, and if that didn't work, then the stern deep serious voice.
It worked perfectly for me (I think), and I never had the need to resort to violence, although their mother DID.

I believe a stern serious voice and action can achieve the desired level of discipline and respect, without resorting to violence and pain, to instill fear.
I classify my relationship with my parents, as one where respect and discipline where achieved thru pain and fear, which is why I never looked back when I broke ties with them.
These users liked the author Romeo E.T. for the post (total 3):
MikemccrsaJack Wellesrichard C
sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz

Return to “123.45”