Aviation Trivia, Jokes & Humour

Moderator: Moderators

Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 183 times

Re: Nation-building, you can do it too...

Unread post by Jack Welles » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:12 am

PO wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:57 am
Why do you think one is 'miserable and negative' if one doesn't join the 'church of the happy back slappers'? :? We still have freedom of choice?
(I am not criticising the movement but will not join - it is my choice. I am (trying to be at least) a good / responsible citizen (and all that comes with it) of this wonderful country but really, I don't have to join a movement to just behave 'normal', or to see other people behaving 'normal'.
To stay or not is a personal matter and I am not sure how it is even linked to many of the stuff that is being posted there.
Methinks Roger was referring to the fact that the relevant negative posts were "emigration" posts (for which there is already a thread). This is a #Iamstaying thread. I thought he was quite polite :twisted: - he could have just wielded his great big green axe 8-[

As an aside: there's no question a great deal of the stuff in #Iamstaying is pretty inane, but the concept is basically a super one, so happy to boost the numbers.
These users liked the author Jack Welles for the post (total 2):
POMfezi
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
PO
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: H2Oklf
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by PO » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:21 am

100% Jack - but I have seen other groups / forums / fb etc also pushing this # are getting now so 'aggressive / intimidating'' that if you don't support or join you are persona non grata and actually gets attacked and shunned for it :?
This is actually causing divisions in some situations now. (The normal issues that arises when followers take a 'movement' thing too serious)
These users liked the author PO for the post:
Christo
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by Jack Welles » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:35 am

PO wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:21 am
100% Jack - but I have seen other groups / forums / fb etc also pushing this # are getting now so 'aggressive / intimidating'' that if you don't support or join you are persona non grata and actually gets attacked and shunned for it :?
This is actually causing divisions in some situations now. (The normal issues that arises when followers take a 'movement' thing too serious)
Okay, we're on the same page. Agree that no-one should be forced to join any movement (also don't think Roger was saying that either). Just thought that the relevant posts were inappropriate in this thread.

Don't think anyone was saying that the said posters must clap hands and be happy. If they want to be miserable that is their right ... just do it somewhere else was the suggestion ...
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 63 times

Unread post by Iceberg » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:03 am

People are like sheep.

The latest is the happy-clappy I'm staying thing. Let's sing Kumbaya and everything will be fine. And criticise anyone not joining in whole heartedly.

Not much different from the doom and gloom gang. The sky is falling, we're going to have everything taken from us. And if you don't see the doom on the horizon you are short-sighted and will soon be brought back to earth.

This is all emotional hype.
Well, I just prefer to look at the facts on both sides and make rational decisions. There is good and bad - always will be. It just depends where the good outweighs the bad for each person.
These users liked the author Iceberg for the post (total 4):
POMarius SchrenkMrb13676excolonial
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 332 times

Unread post by cage » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:11 am

Iceberg wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:03 am
People are like sheep.The latest is the happy-clappy I'm staying thing. Let's sing Kumbaya and everything will be fine. And criticise anyone not joining in whole heartedly.
No one is critising anyone, it's more a case of those that are unhappy can't help themselves but come and pee in the pool.
This is a case of people getting fed up with the constant stream of negative news and content while ignoring everything else.
Surrounding yourself with some positive energy is a good thing and has little to do with pretending there aren't issues, it is being reminded that there is good among all the bad.

There are more than enough outlets for anger and hate, so rather go vent there.
In some respects expats whining isn't a bad thing, it reminds us that we aren't just losing skills, we are also losing some crumby attitudes that won't help us get any better locally. There's always a silver lining. ;)
These users liked the author cage for the post (total 2):
ACE MANTFD
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by Jack Welles » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:14 am

Iceberg wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:03 am
People are like sheep. The latest is the happy-clappy I'm staying thing. Let's sing Kumbaya and everything will be fine. And criticise anyone not joining in whole heartedly. Not much different from the doom and gloom gang. The sky is falling, we're going to have everything taken from us. And if you don't see the doom on the horizon you are short-sighted and will soon be brought back to earth. This is all emotional hype. Well, I just prefer to look at the facts on both sides and make rational decisions. There is good and bad - always will be. It just depends where the good outweighs the bad for each person.
Critisized for not joining in? Not sure I've seen that anywhere. Where did you see this?

As for the rest it's just a bit of fun (Facebook, what can you expect?) in the face of relentless negative propoganda (media generally: if it bleeds, it leads). Seems pretty harmless really ...
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 172 times

Unread post by Roger » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:35 am

Pretty much the request I posted. Not going to chastise anybody if they don't wish to be 'happy clappy', that is your right. Was a request to keep this thread positive, and yes you are still welcome to contribute as much negativity you wish on the other appropriate threads .

In turn, we will refrain from posting positive items on those threads. :lol:
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Iceberg » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:05 am

Roger wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:35 am
Pretty much the request I posted. Not going to chastise anybody if they don't wish to be 'happy clappy', that is your right. Was a request to keep this thread positive, and yes you are still welcome to contribute as much negativity you wish on the other appropriate threads .

Requesting only positive posts is akin to criticism - like don't spoil our "happy-clappy" thread or else.... Not very objective. #-o
As I mentioned earlier - just another emotional feel good thing that people understandably crave in SA.

It's like a million people going to listen to Angus Buchan. Afterwards they feel good, they did 'something' for the country etc etc. Until the next year when the feel good thing has faded.
These users liked the author Iceberg for the post:
Marius Schrenk
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 332 times

Unread post by cage » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:29 am

Iceberg wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:05 am
Not very objective. #-o
In this case, posts should at least then be related to the topic, not random, incoherant negative ramblings about stuff that has nothing to do with the subject.
It seems to be a new form of anti-SA Tourettes..
I doubt if anyone had something on-topic or constructive to add that there would be objections.
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 172 times

Unread post by Roger » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:50 am

Iceberg wrote:
Roger wrote:

Requesting only positive posts is akin to criticism - like don't spoil our "happy-clappy" thread or else.... Not very objective. #-o
As I mentioned earlier - just another emotional feel good thing that people understandably crave in SA.

It's like a million people going to listen to Angus Buchan. Afterwards they feel good, they did 'something' for the country etc etc. Until the next year when the feel good thing has faded.
But it would be inappropriate for a person to attend the event just to tell people why they should not be there or should not feel good. :lol:
These users liked the author Roger for the post:
cage
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Iceberg » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:19 pm

Roger wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:50 am
Iceberg wrote:
Roger wrote:

But it would be inappropriate for a person to attend the event just to tell people why they should not be there or should not feel good. :lol:
Exactly what you are doing by asking unhappy people not to come to an open event or posing a different view. #-o
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 64 times

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:16 pm

"Feeling happy" is such a short term event....you can get it from alkohol/sex.....or longer term by having a low enough IQ.
These users liked the author Marius Schrenk for the post:
Freddie v
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 64 times

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:18 pm

cage wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:52 pm
Marius, we get it. You’re miserable, want to leave, but can’t.
Instead of trying to make everyone else unhappy how about a happy pill , or a brandewyn and coke?
At least it will put a temporary smile on your dial.
#cheers
I have a permanent smile on my dail.....when I think of you. :roll:
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
Swartbok
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by Swartbok » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:09 pm

Roger wrote:

Ahhhhhhh, if you look back at those threads, there’s always been a guy or 2 just popping in, just to air a balanced, objective, critical thinking view. (or stir a little?). Weren’t some spats there specifically about this ?

The irony.

#entitledtomyopinion
Flying is like sex. I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I could stand.
Swartbok
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by Swartbok » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:12 pm

cage wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:29 am
Iceberg wrote:
Not very objective. #-o
In this case, posts should at least then be related to the topic, not random, incoherant negative ramblings about stuff that has nothing to do with the subject.
It seems to be a new form of anti-SA Tourettes..
I doubt if anyone had something on-topic or constructive to add that there would be objections.
Like the constructive posts on the other threads??
Flying is like sex. I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I could stand.

Return to “123.45”