Moderator: Moderators

snoopy
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FASH
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 94 times

Re: Deep Fakes!

Unread post by snoopy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:17 am

excolonial AI is alive and well, and deployed successfully even in SA ... and its very useful in the right environment (applied to get a specific task done), oh and that doesnt just mean on the internet for the IoT. :wink:

We've all to a greater or lesser extent become data capital for others...thats a fact. And business loves to sell your profile to 3rd parties without your consent. Illegal in terms of the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013, but ...gha-ching.

Just today - I got a call from a 3rd party - to whom my personal information was sold by Telkom (so the 3rd party claims) - so that the 3rd party could attempt to solicit business from me. Only reason Telkom has my personal cellphone number is for technical support, if any lines should crash...and lately they ask you if you have any other number when you log a support call - than the cellphone number they already have...why? To expand data capital. All very subtle...but thats how its done.

Telkom is desperate for money - currently losing clients by the hordes. So they sell their client database for extra bucks. Despite this statement

https://www.telkom.co.za/about_us/downl ... e_2018.pdf

just one example of many...
Vivere come se mai dovessimo morire
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 332 times

Unread post by cage » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:44 am

Snoopy, I would suggest that was was deployed is not AI (the default label stuck on anything that uses advanced algorhythms) and is much closer to machine learning tech. The latter are just adaptive, advanced algorthyms and pattern recognition/prediction.
Giving it sci-fi terms makes it sound cool and adds a few $$$ to the consulting fees but these are both terms that have been raped and pillaged by marketing departments to make the mundane sound more exciting.
It's just a progression of previous tech, enabled by the vast amount of data that everyone now collects and cheap, fast compute that allows continuous processing of large data sets.
These users liked the author cage for the post:
excolonial
snoopy
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by snoopy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:48 am

Agh cage, you can call it whatever you want (it really doesn't bug me)...its teaching a computer to do the work of many people...making life easier and making processes far more accurate - without human error, once the machine (in this case a network of devices) has been taught how to run the system. What to collect and what to report on. Its programmed to know whats important and what isnt.... :wink:
Last edited by snoopy on Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by cage » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:52 am

snoopy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:48 am
Agh cage, you can call it whatever you want (it really doesn't bug me)...its teaching a computer to do the work of many people...making life easier and making processes far more accurate - without human error, once the machine (in this case a network of devices) has been taught how to run the system. :wink:
yep, and that has been around a long time. It now just has a shiny,new, expensive label on the tin and loads of hype.
Not one of those systems without being programmed and monitored, by humans, will do or keep doing the right thing.
snoopy
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by snoopy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:55 am

You need to do that with humans as well, until they learn...how to do anything themselves. Only thing a human doesn't have to learn is how to make its heart beat.

The system operates itself - without supervision, other than making sure its got energy to run. And all the network's devices are alive.

Call that whatever you want. It makes selective judgement calls by itself.
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by cage » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:05 pm

snoopy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:55 am
Call that whatever you want.
It's called automation..
Semantics may not matter to you, but in the tech industry, education and cutting through all the BS and hype is most of the job.
rainier
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by rainier » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:12 pm

Cage is quite right, the term "AI" is getting a bit misused.
It boils down to just what is "intelligence". The definition of this is in itself is somewhat vague and very open to interpretation and opinion.

"AI" as in what could go for something that would be indistinguishable from that of an intelligent human - is inherently frightening - for good reason. We are not quite there yet but are getting there rapidly.

Most of what goes under "AI" at the moment is relatively dumb data mining using clever but relatively inflexible algorithms. Neural networks, the electronic equivalent of the wiring in our brains is pretty good at learning by stimulus and outcome, just as it works in nature. This is in widespread use mostly in interpreting images - from security systems to autonomous cars and also to find patterns of just about anything. But that is not really intelligent (in my interpretation anyway). Even if it can look that way.

My worry lies in the rapidly increasing density of dedicated neural network chips and the vast arrays that can be built right now already with them. I do believe that we are not too far from something that will exceed the human brains ability to "think" (whatever "thinking" actually is). Now all that needs to happen is for something like this to be given autonomy and control. Something like this is not static - like a human it can learn and create. Unlike humans however it has the ability to create itself or its own next level. This is not sci-fi. OK, maybe it is. But not for long.

So Telkom mining your data to flog for a few Rands - heck, that's not even important in the big scheme of things. Annoying - yes.

Now let me get back to writing firmware for MGL's next little product - decidedly not "AI" but not dumb either...
Who said the sky is the limit ? I think not.
excolonial
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: komani
Has liked: 186 times
Been liked: 64 times

Unread post by excolonial » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:22 pm

snoopy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:17 am
excolonial AI is alive and well, and deployed successfully even in SA ... and its very useful in the right environment (applied to get a specific task done), oh and that doesnt just mean on the internet for the IoT. :wink:

We've all to a greater or lesser extent become data capital for others...thats a fact. And business loves to sell your profile to 3rd parties without your consent. Illegal in terms of the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013, but ...gha-ching.

Just today - I got a call from a 3rd party - to whom my personal information was sold by Telkom (so the 3rd party claims) - so that the 3rd party could attempt to solicit business from me. Only reason Telkom has my personal cellphone number is for technical support, if any lines should crash...and lately they ask you if you have any other number when you log a support call - than the cellphone number they already have...why? To expand data capital. All very subtle...but thats how its done.

Telkom is desperate for money - currently losing clients by the hordes. So they sell their client database for extra bucks. Despite this statement

https://www.telkom.co.za/about_us/downl ... e_2018.pdf

just one example of many...
I don't agree with you on this one, it may be semantics, but, as with many similar technologies the devil is in the detail. This sounds like simple database correlation, using quite simple analytical overlays to analyse historical behaviours, and then (usually) a fairly linear(and in my opinion almost meaningless) projection of future behaviours. Some would argue that projecting future behaviours from observed historic ones is better than nothing, I would argue that that depends....

Horsepower and storage are the biggest changes we are seeing at the moment.

I was speaking to a self appointed "genius" who patronisingly explained to me how data lakes and the cloud would change the face of banking. Data lake is just new bs name for data warehouse, and without structure they are meaningless. It may change the way we store things, and the reduced costs means we can be less efficient than we would otherwise need to be. Progress? I am not so sure. For companies like harmfulgoogle and Fakebook these lakes are gold mines. For those requiring carefully structured, relational data, the very idea has little meaning.
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 73 times

Unread post by SlowApproach » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:27 pm

One thing to always keep in mind: "Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"
These users liked the author SlowApproach for the post:
Ugly Duckling
Behind every angry woman is a man who has absolutely no idea what he did wrong.
rainier
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by rainier » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:48 am

SlowApproach wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:27 pm
One thing to always keep in mind: "Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"
"Artificial Stupidity" ?

Why not ?
Who said the sky is the limit ? I think not.
SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 73 times

Unread post by SlowApproach » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:18 pm

rainier wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:48 am
"Artificial Stupidity" ?
Now there's a thought :lol:

Can just imagine the scene:
"So the AI got it wrong, huh?"
"No, some ASS fed it dud info."
(ASS: Artifical Stupidity System)
Behind every angry woman is a man who has absolutely no idea what he did wrong.
rare bird
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 35 times

Unread post by rare bird » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:41 am

I remember in the '70 s we had a saying " to err is human, to really foul it up takes a computer"

(and going paperless meant you used a punch card instead!) :wink:

Return to “123.45”