Moderator: Moderators

crazydoc
Rolling
Closest Airfield: kittyhawk
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 1 time

Geyser Question

Unread post by crazydoc » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:27 pm

I have solarwise geyser. Works well .But i have an idea.
As you know once you open warmwater tap,cold water runs in and cools geyser down .So i want to install second electric only geyser in serious with solar geaser which(electric one) will then be closer to bathroom. Solar geyser without electrics then closer to watersupply . We consume a lot of warm water at night , so my idea is to fill the secondary geyser (electric/closest to bathroom) from the solargeyser at night with solar geyser warmwater .It will still drop the solargeyser temp and the sun can heat up the next day again .So my electric geyser at least gets filled with warm water needing less electricity to heat. So just delaying the shift of cold water to the electric geyser.
Will this make a difference?
These users liked the author crazydoc for the post:
Rotor kop
V5 - LEO
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 80 times

Re: Geyser Question

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:48 pm

....not an expert, taking own experiences into account only, yes and no. Yes on it will help with the cost because it is heating time is less, no on the following, geysers do not like being fed warm water, specially where you have hard water. There is a product perfect for you, it is called an undercounter heater. Can be installed on current pipes out of sight in the bathroom dresser, set your own temp, because it is literally 20cm away from your tap the wastage is minimal.
These users liked the author V5 - LEO for the post:
rare bird
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 332 times

Unread post by cage » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:03 pm

V5 - LEO wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:48 pm
.. geysers do not like being fed warm water,
Not sure that is correct. Most dual geyser setups have two geysers in series so the one is always going to be fed hot water.
Swartbok
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by Swartbok » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:11 pm

crazydoc wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:27 pm
I have solarwise geyser. Works well .But i have an idea.
As you know once you open warmwater tap,cold water runs in and cools geyser down .So i want to install second electric only geyser in serious with solar geaser which(electric one) will then be closer to bathroom. Solar geyser without electrics then closer to watersupply . We consume a lot of warm water at night , so my idea is to fill the secondary geyser (electric/closest to bathroom) from the solargeyser at night with solar geyser warmwater .It will still drop the solargeyser temp and the sun can heat up the next day again .So my electric geyser at least gets filled with warm water needing less electricity to heat. So just delaying the shift of cold water to the electric geyser.
Will this make a difference?
I have a setup like that, the villas in my estate came standard like that.
It works well, no problems for the last 3 years and it saves money on electric, quite a lot compared to neighbors.

As you said Solar pre heats the water to the electric, which now requires a lot less energy to top up the heat.

And our water is desalinated, hard water, not good quality, and no problems as yet.
Flying is like sex. I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I could stand.
V5 - LEO
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 80 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:53 pm

...great to hear it work gents, go for it. It is on my next to do, after the roof, list, so happy to hear, only I will need a softner filter as we have quiet hard(sh) water.
These users liked the author V5 - LEO for the post:
Swartbok
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
crazydoc
Rolling
Closest Airfield: kittyhawk
Has liked: 7 times

Unread post by crazydoc » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:34 pm

Fantastic. Tnx for the replies :wink:
gyropilot
Rotating
Closest Airfield: MORNING STAR
Has liked: 11 times

Unread post by gyropilot » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:07 am

my system runs on solar & gas. no electricity!

summer time the system runs off SG and winter time runs off GG, which gets fed luke warm water from SG, the GG also acts as a booster in winter - so I never have cold water or run out of hot water - no matter what.
gyrocopters

Return to “123.45”