excolonial
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: komani
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Triple dipped chicken

Unread post by excolonial » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:56 pm

Rather like the constant repetition employed by the news media and politicians. There was a very interesting documentary I saw about the change in advertising over the last 100 odd years. The use of fear was one of the biggest and most controversial changes.
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
flysouth
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Triple dipped chicken

Unread post by flysouth » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:02 pm

Is targeting via social media perhaps not then the nearest thing to subliminal advertising?

Back in the 1950s I think advertising using subliminal techniques was in use on TV and movies in America. Possibly elsewhere too.

This description found online clarifies:

"The birth of subliminal advertising as we know it dates to 1957 when a market researcher named James Vicary inserted the words "Eat Popcorn" and "Drink Coca-Cola" into a movie. The words appeared for a single frame, allegedly long enough for the subconscious to pick up, but too short for the viewer to be aware of it"

This form of advertising was subsequently banned but it interesting to see that these people in the video mention "I was unaware etc etc", indicating that such ads, although not subliminal in the strict sense perhaps achieve the same unconscious outcome.

The effectiveness of subliminal advertising is still up for debate and it's been illegal in the UK, America and Australia since 1958. ... By one definition, it is: "The use by advertisers of images and sounds to influence consumers' responses without their being consciously aware of it."

But of course one could argue that all advertising is similar, I mean we all "see" ads everywhere but would believe we ignore them or most of them.

However perhaps the use of social media and deliberate targeting which that allows of a certain demographic IS subliminal?

And how for instance does that stack up against "product placement" techniques in TV and movie productions?
These users liked the author flysouth for the post:
excolonial

Return to “123.45”