gstocks
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Kuilfontein strip
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Conversion from NPL to PPl minimum legal hours

Unread post by gstocks » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:05 am

Hi all

I would like to convert my NPL to a PPL, I have 150 hrs and am current on my NPL.
I have had very mixed feedback regarding how many hours are required. Chatting to some people who have done it they said they did 15hrs and the exams.

Another training company has said I can get 15hrs off thus 30 hrs to do! Has the law changed, can anyone please give me some clarity as most of the training schools can't answer me either.

Much appreciated
WILDTHING
Heli Pilot agrees to buy Super.
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Conversion from NPL to PPl minimum legal hours

Unread post by WILDTHING » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:55 am

You don't specify what category aircraft you fly on NPL.

In the case of LSA, you may be credited up the 30hrs.
In the case of CCM, you may be credited up to 25 hours towards a PPL.
In the case of WCM and GYR up to 20 hrs.

Awarding of the max credits however remains at the discretion of the ATO and instcrtor.
You will also be required to write all the PPL exams.
gstocks
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Kuilfontein strip

Unread post by gstocks » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:29 am

Thanks Wildthing

Do you perhaps know if this is stated in the act/law somewhere?
I am flying an LSA!
One flight school has said I can get 15 hrs credit another says 10 hrs? No one seems to know for sure, hence I asked whether the act has changed. I know in the past some other guys got 30hrs credit and I went to the same flight school they did it through and they say it's now 10hrs!

If you could direct me to the act/law I could maybe read it up myself and direct the flight schools thereto!
Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
J.a.N
Steep Turn Right
Closest Airfield: Lanseria

Unread post by J.a.N » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:47 pm

Is there a minimum total WCM hours needed to get the 20hrs max credit towards PPL or is it standard?
"Flying is more than a sport and more than a job; flying is pure passion and desire, which fill a lifetime."- Adolf Galland

NPL/PPL Holder
Aviation fanatic
WILDTHING
Heli Pilot agrees to buy Super.
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by WILDTHING » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:21 am

These credits are only applicable to a pilot who has completed and holds a valid license, not where a person has completed only a portion of the license requirements. Not sure if I understood this part correctly.

No the hours are not standard nor is there any entitlement towards such credits, it depends entirely on the ATO and instructor/CFI performing your training towards a PLL or any other license or rating as applicable, to determine your overall knowledge and competence and then make a written motivation or recommendation that you may be awarded a portion or all of the permitted credits towards another license or rating.

My opinion is that there is far to much emphasis on obtaining credits rather than focusing on achieving the highest possible level and standard of training, knowledge, experience and attitude, only when an instructor is comfortable and confident that their student has earned and deserves any credits, they should apply their discretion thereto. The student should not even be asking or considering any credits it should be seen as a bonus and privilege to have such credits awarded.

Pierre
J.a.N
Steep Turn Right
Closest Airfield: Lanseria

Unread post by J.a.N » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:25 am

Thank you very much for the info I appreciate it.

Jan
"Flying is more than a sport and more than a job; flying is pure passion and desire, which fill a lifetime."- Adolf Galland

NPL/PPL Holder
Aviation fanatic

Return to “RAASA”