Questions for RAASA

Moderator: Moderators

Technocrat
Helicopter getting close
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 20 times

RECREATIONAL PILOT LICENCE FROM MGPL

Unread post by Technocrat » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:39 pm

I have a Motor Glider Pilot Licence and want to obtain a Recreational Pilot Licence. Has anybody done this yet and what does it entail? Must I start from the beginning again, or is it a sort of a conversion?
Stephan van Tonder
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Petit
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 11 times

Re: RECREATIONAL PILOT LICENCE FROM MGPL

Unread post by Stephan van Tonder » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:51 pm

Don't want to start an entire fight again but SSSA was not on board with part62 so there is basically no provision for a 'conversion' or grandfather clauses as far as I have read in the documentation. Me thinks you will have to start from scratch. But Phone Pierre at 076 875 4722 - this is RAASA and ask him - he will know for sure.
Chris
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Fape
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Chris » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:45 pm

Looks like you can get credit
Part 62.01.13 (3) An applicant for a recreational pilot licence or any rating thereto may be credited with any previously acquired flight time in any category of aircraft to the extent recommended by the flight instructor, signing out the skill test report prescribed for the issue of the licence or rating, to the Commissioner or the organisation designated for the purpose in terms of Part 149, as the case may be.
unless there is a gyro involved
(8) Notwithstanding the provisions of sub-regulations (3), (4) and (7), no other flight experience shall be credited towards the flight time requirements for
the issue of a gyroplane category rating, while the crediting of theoretical knowledge shall be limited to acquired knowledge in air law, meteorology and navigation.
Chris Booysen
A ship is safe in a harbour, but that is not what it is built for.
Technocrat
Helicopter getting close

Unread post by Technocrat » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:04 pm

Stephan van Tonder wrote:Don't want to start an entire fight again but SSSA was not on board with part62 so there is basically no provision for a 'conversion' or grandfather clauses as far as I have read in the documentation. Me thinks you will have to start from scratch. But Phone Pierre at 076 875 4722 - this is RAASA and ask him - he will know for sure.
Yes, please let us not get into the RAASA/SSSA fight again.

I spoke to Pierre as you suggested, and must say we had a very positive discussion. RAASA is currently busy writing the regulations that will regulate this, but his opinion is that a MGPL would need to do a "Vaardigheidstoets"/Skills Test Flight with a Recreational Pilot Licence Instructor (in his Motor Glider). He should demonstrate his ability to fly competently, also in controlled airspace and landing and take-off at controlled airfields etc (which most Motor Gliders pilots would be able to do). If OK, his licence will be issued after he has done a type rating on the LSA aircraft that he wants to fly. RAASA is also looking at the theoretical side ie Air Law, Principles of Flight etc to compare between SSSA exams and what would be required now for the Recreational licence.

Sounds fair to me. I am going to give it a go.
Technocrat
Helicopter getting close

Unread post by Technocrat » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:09 pm

It's done!

Just completed my conversion from Touring Motor Glider Licence (SSSA) to NPL (RAASA). In short it entailed:

1.Instructor checking my SSSA exam's to ensure they were on par.
2.Four hours dual training in controlled air space (on Jabiru).
3.Three hours solo.
4.Skills test.

I eventually did an additional 8 hours dual training on my Rans S6 to get a tail dragger rating. Thanks Chris (George Flying Academy) for your patience. Eish... tail draggers - not easy.

Must say, I got excellent co-operation from RAASA.
THI
Rolling
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by THI » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:50 pm

Congrats! Happy happy
Thinus Enslin
Gyroplane - Sycamore - ZU-CML
Potchefstroom (FAPS)

Return to “RAASA”