Moderator: Moderators

jetstream16
Engine Cranking
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Licensing Question

Unread post by jetstream16 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:58 pm

Hi,

I have just purchased a Pietenpol Air Camper which is a 390kg (when empty) non-type certified, tail dragger aircraft.I do not have a license but obviously would like to get one. It is my understanding that the CAA has done away with the Microlight Pilots License and replaced it with the Sport Pilot License.

My questions are as follows:

1. If there are no instructors certified on this type of aircraft, how would I go about getting training on the aircraft?

2. With regard to Sport/Microlight training, is it still necessary for an instructor to train a student under a schools ATO license or are there provisions for freelance instructers?

3.Under the provisions of a Sport/Microlight license, does the CAA differentiate between a tricycle and tail-dragger NTCA's?

4. Where can I find more information about the Sport/Microlight license?

Thanks for any help!

Jet
WILDTHING
Heli and Fixed Wing Pilot now best mates
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Licensing Question

Unread post by WILDTHING » Thu May 13, 2010 8:46 am

Hi Jet, but with your new Pietenpol perhaps this should be Prop for now:lol:

The Microlight licence has been replaced withthe NPL National Pilots Licence with a LSA endorsement.
THe Pietenpol has a max take off of over 450kg and less than 600kg so this will fall into the LSA category, just make sure that your planes POH specs are within this range, you want to find it over 600kg MTOW or you would need a PPL.

1. If there are no instructors certified on this type of aircraft, how would I go about getting training on the aircraft?
You have two options
(a) A LSA Instructor at an ATO near you can get rated on type, you would need to get an ATF for owner training and have the plane listed on the ATO register.
(b) Train at an ATO on one of their planes and get type rated on yor Pietenpol later.

2. With regard to Sport/Microlight training, is it still necessary for an instructor to train a student under a schools ATO license or are there provisions for freelance instructers?
All instrcution has to be done under an approved Part141 ATO, The instrcutor and plane needs to be on the ATO register and all flights need to listed on the Autho sheets.

3.Under the provisions of a Sport/Microlight license, does the CAA differentiate between a tricycle and tail-dragger NTCA's?
There is no differance in terms of the licence between tricycle and tail draggers, but your licence will be endorsed with a Tail dragger rating.

4. Where can I find more information about the Sport/Microlight license?
From RAASA or in Part 62 of the CARS & CATS

Hope this helps
Pierre

RAASA
Tel: 011 827 9330
Fax: 011 827 9329
www.raasa.co.za
Walid
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FALA

Unread post by Walid » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:33 pm

In Excel format. I could not read the PDF file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DKN

Unread post by DKN » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:36 pm

Walid Hi

What happened to the TMG Part

D
WILDTHING
Heli and Fixed Wing Pilot now best mates
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times