Convair Radial Crash at Wonderboom - 10 July 2018

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Starship
1k poster
1k poster

Re: Convair Radial Crash at Wonderboom - 10 July 2018

Unread post by Starship » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:33 pm

The Australian flight crew, Douglas Haywood and Ross Kelly are both from Sydney. They had flown another Rovos Air Convair CV-440 ZS-ARV from Wonderboom to Darwin in August 2016.
IMG_8778m_8002.jpg
The pilots are both members of Australia’s Historical Aircraft Restoration Society.

Both are highly experienced. Douglas Haywood has worked for Qantas since 1984 and trains new pilots on the Airbus A380. Recently retired co-pilot Ross Kelly had been with Qantas for over thirty years and had been a captain on the A380.
Douglas Haywood.jpg
Ross Kelly.jpg
It was reported that they are all in the Johannesburg Netcare Milpark Hospital. The Kellys are said to be in stable condition, while Haywood is said to be critical.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Starship on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Flyman
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FALA FAGC

Unread post by Flyman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:48 pm

Whilst reading the preliminary report from CAA, the dates mentioned are incorrect.
Shocking and unbelievable.
PRECHECK'S !!!!!!
wingnutzster
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Sommerveld

Unread post by wingnutzster » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:01 pm

Flyman wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:48 pm
Whilst reading the preliminary report from CAA, the dates mentioned are incorrect.
Shocking and unbelievable.
I'm neither shocked nor in disbelief :roll:
"They that wait on the Lord shall mount up on wings as an Eagle"...Isa40
roadrunner
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: aviatorsparadise

Unread post by roadrunner » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:11 pm

One wonders who is going to do the investigation.Why dont they ask for help from ausies or americans .
morne75
Tripped over wheel chock
Closest Airfield: graaff reinet

Unread post by morne75 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:59 am

these pilots did a good job to keep her flying.. one killed ,it could have been all 19 on board..

she was heavy low altitude and high density altitude played a roll..

pity they couldnt make the field back its a piece of history in aviation that will be lost for ever..

rip to the fellow aviator..
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG

Unread post by jimdavis » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:14 am

morne75 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:59 am

she was heavy low altitude and high density altitude played a roll..
Was she heavy Morne? It would be surprised if she was carrying a lot of fuel for a shotish local flight.

jim
"SO OTHERS MAY LIVE - Flying Accidents Analysed". This book will be available soon. It asks: "Can Smart Pilots See Accidents Coming - And Avoid Them?" Get this and other Jim Davis books on Kindle at: http://www.jimdavis.co.za
paulw
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Unread post by paulw » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:31 am

ACE MAN wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:17 pm
SACAA have issued their initial media release.

http://caa.co.za/Media%20Statements/201 ... cident.pdf
A Dutch radio news bulletin said the investigation started very slowly and chaotic.
If I read this statement which said the accident took place on Wednesday and not Tuesday, then I might just agree.
I hope the reports will be better than my primary school second language essays i wrote.

The international community is going to watch this one and probably lend a hand as well.
I am sure the Dutch and Australians will send investigators.

More from a Ducth online news source.
https://www.nu.nl/buitenland/5358716/tw ... redirect=1

They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
nrm
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by nrm » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:46 am

Having read somewhere that this was a test flight can someone answer a question for me.

Passengers on a test flight??
Neville Matthews
paulw
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Unread post by paulw » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:10 am

The person on the ground who died of injuries was a worker at the Moorddrift Dairy. Thabang Moloto (19)

They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
roadrunner
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: aviatorsparadise

Unread post by roadrunner » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:28 am

So sad .The runway next to the N1 was probably to far or could the have made it to that ?
Roo1valk
Incipient Spin
Closest Airfield: FAWB

Unread post by Roo1valk » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:36 am

nrm wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:46 am
Having read somewhere that this was a test flight can someone answer a question for me.

Passengers on a test flight??
It wasn't a test flight.
nrm
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by nrm » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:04 am

Thank you.

I asked because this is on page 3.

"This flight was to be the final test flight before the departure for netherlands on thursday.

Was suppose to be a flight to Pillaansberg and back with some upper air tests etc".

After this post.

"Aviodrome said in a statement on Wednesday that the Convair 340, "a special plane", crashed
while it was about to rise for a test flight before the long flight to the Netherlands."
Last edited by nrm on Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neville Matthews
Airfire
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Lanseria

Unread post by Airfire » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:11 am

About the plane crash: “Mayday, mayday, mayday – ons enjin is aan die brand.”
Dít was die noodkreet van een van die vlieëniers op die Convair 340-vliegtuig kort voor dit Dinsdagmiddag
laat naby die Wonderboom-lughawe in Pretoria-Noord neergestort het.
Die vlugingenieur, Christo Barnard (54), is Dinsdagaand op die ongelukstoneel dood. Thabang Moloto (19),
’n werknemer van die Moorddrift-melkery, het Woensdag in die Unitas-hospitaal beswyk aan sy wonde.
Moloto, wat glo 15 minute voor die ongeluk vir sy skof by
die melkery opgedaag het, se bene is albei glo deur ’n vlerk
van die vliegtuig afgesny nadat dit neergestort het. Hy het
ook ernstige nekbeserings opgedoen en sy heup was gebreek.
Die vlieënier se boodskap kon op die radiokanaal tussen die
vliegtuig en die beheertoring van die Wonderboom-lughawe
gehoor word, vertel Pierre van Zyl, ’n studente-vlieënier, wat
op dieselfde kanaal ingeskakel was terwyl hy self ’n
afsonderlike vliegtuig naby die lughawe gevlieg het.
Van Zyl sê hy het van dieselfde aanloopbaan in Wonderboom
opgestyg kort voordat die Convair die aanloopbaan verlaat
het.
“Ons vliegtuig was hoër op en ek kon sien hoe die Convair ’n dik rookstreep maak en toe hoor ek die
boodskap van een van die vlieëniers,” sê van Zyl.
Nie een van die vlieëniers was weer oor die radiostelsel hoorbaar voordat dit in ’n oop stuk veld op die
perseel van die Moorddrift-melkery neergestort het nie.
Volgens Van Zyl het die Convair probeer terugkeer na ’n aanloopbaan by die Wonderboom-lughawe toe die
ongeluk gebeur het.
Intussen het Kabelo Ledwaba, ’n woordvoerder van die Burgerlugvaartowerheid (BLO), Woensdag bevestig
dat twee mense in die ongeluk dood is.
Die hoof van die BLO, Peter Mashaba, sê ’n voorlopige verslag oor die oorsaak van die ongeluk sal binne
30 dae vrygestel word.Mashaba het bevestig dat twee Australiërs, drie Nederlanders en 14 Suid-Afrikaners aan boord was.
Ruffus Manyise, die bestuurder van die Moorddrift-melkery, sê buiten Moloto is nog sewe van hul personeellede
is beseer.
Een van hulle, Thomas Makubhela, het sy tande uitgeval toe hy weggehardloop het van die naderende vliegtuig.
Sy kollega Wanda Mushidi het brandwonde opgedoen toe die brandende vliegtuig ’n gedeelte van die pakhuis
waar hulle werk aan die brand gesteek het.
Een van die oorlewendes, wat verkies om anoniem te bly, sê dit was die eerste keer dat hy gevlieg het – en toe
stort die vliegtuig neer.
Hy sê sy vriend het hom genooi om saam te vlieg.
“Ek weet nie eens waarheen ons op pad was nie, maar ek wou net in die vliegtuig wees. Ek was nog nooit in my
lewe so opgewonde nie.”
Hy sê die vliegtuig het van die lughawe af opgestyg en toe hy weer kyk, was dit vol rook.
“Die vlieënier het in die lug begin om beheer daaroor te verloor. Al wat in my gedagtes aangegaan het, is dat ons
dit nie sou oorleef nie. Ek het gedink ons gaan doodgaan.Hy sê almal het geskree en toe die vliegtuig neerstort, was hy verbaas dat hy nog leef.
Hy het sy voete en regterhand beseer en is in die hospitaal opgeneem. Hy is Dinsdagaand ontslaan.
Hy is nog geskok, maar sê hy sal weer vlieg.
Die rook wat uit die Convair getrek het, het vermoedelik uit een van die twee enjins gekom, het Benno Baksteen,
’n lugvaartkenner aan die Nederlandse nuusblad De Stentor gesê.
Die vliegtuig was bestem vir die Aviodrome-lugvaartmuseum by die Lelystad-lughawe in Nederland.
Aviodrome het Woensdag in ’n verklaring gesê die Convair 340, “ ’n besonderse vliegtuig”, het neergestort
terwyl dit besig was op om te styg vir ’n toetsvlug voor die lang vlug na Nederland.
Volgens Ledwaba het die vliegtuig ’n lugwaardigheidsertifikaat gehad wat op 15 Augustus vanjaar sou verval.
Die vliegtuig was volgens hom geskeduleer om van die Wonderboom-lughawe op te styg en het beoog om op
Pilanesberg te land.

Google translate the story

About the plane crash: "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday - Our engine is on fire."
This was the cry of one of the pilots on the Convair 340 plane shortly before this Tuesday afternoon
Late crashed near the Wonderboom airport in Pretoria North.
The flight engineer, Christo Barnard, 54, died on the accident scene on Tuesday night. Thabang Moloto (19),
An employee of the Murderdrift Milkery, died on Wednesday at Unitas Hospital on his wounds.
Moloto, who believes at his shift 15 minutes before the accident
The dairy has opened its legs, both of which are apparent through a wing
cut off the plane after it crashed. he has
He also suffered severe neck injuries and his hip was broken.
The pilot's message could be on the radio channel between the
plane and the control tower of the Wonderboom airport
to be heard, tells Pierre van Zyl, a student pilot, who
was on the same channel while he himself was a
separate airplane flew near the airport.
Van Zyl says he had the same runway in Wonderboom
rose shortly before the Convair left the runway
has.
"Our plane was higher and I could see how the Convair made a thick smoke strip and then I heard it
message from one of the pilots, "says van Zyl.
None of the pilots were heard about the radio system again in an open field on the
premises of the Murder Drift Milk have crashed.
According to Van Zyl, the Convair tried to return to a runway at the Wonderboom airport when the
accident happened.
Meanwhile, Kabelo Ledwaba, a Civil Aviation Authority spokesman (BLO), confirmed on Wednesday
that two people died in the accident.
The head of the BLO, Peter Mashaba, said a preliminary report on the cause of the accident will occur
30 days to be released. Masaba confirmed that two Australians, three Dutch and 14 South Africans were on board.
Ruffus Manyise, the driver of the Murder Drift Milk, says outside Moloto is still seven of their staff members
is injured.
One of them, Thomas Makubhela, dropped his teeth when he ran away from the approaching plane.
His colleague Wanda Mushidi sustained burns when the burning plane was part of the warehouse
where their work was on fire.
One of the survivors who choose to remain anonymous says it was the first time he fled - and then
drop the plane.
He said his friend invited him to fly together.
"I do not even know where we were heading, but I just wanted to be on the plane. I've never been in me
live so excited. "
He said the plane had risen from the airport and when he looked again, it was full of smoke.
"The pilot began to lose control of the air. All that has taken place in my mind is that we
it would not survive. I thought we were going to die. He said everyone shouted and when the plane crashed, he was surprised that he was still alive.
He injured his feet and right hand and was admitted to hospital. He was discharged on Tuesday night.
He is still shocked, but says he will fly again.
The smoke that came from the Convair probably came from one of the two engines, Benno Baksteen,
An aeronautical expert on the Dutch newspaper De Stentor said.
The plane was destined for the Aviodrome aviation museum at the Lelystad airport in the Netherlands.
Aviodrome said in a statement on Wednesday that the Convair 340, "a special plane", crashed
while it was about to rise for a test flight before the long flight to the Netherlands.
Ledwaba said the aircraft had an airworthiness certificate which would expire on 15 August this year.
The plane was scheduled to rise from the Wonderboom airport and intended to be on
Pilanesberg to land.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
But today is a gift.
That's why it's called the present.
-----------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/Airfirephotography/
Adrian Munro
apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Unread post by apollo11 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:57 am

Wow what a bitter sweet accident, for those on board crew included it was approaching the end of a dream flight in delivering her to the Netherlands a epic and beautiful adventure in itself, then the harshest of ugly reality reared up.

I was all pumped up this week especially so after the phenomenal rescue of the Thai soccer team and their coach, saying to my family see sometimes in the world fantastic things can happen despite all the streams of bad news flowing out each day, the Thai rescue was a real feel good story, (although very sadly one diver tragically lost his life)

Then this accident when I saw the breaking news about people injured in a plane crash and my euphoric feeling was rather diminished.

As Chalkie pointed out the crew did the best they could and I certainly hope this was not some loose bolt on the mag that caused that engine failure but so often in crashes it's a really insidious and sometimes smallest of factors that causes a colossal accident despite best effort by crew and so much is also dependent on terrain obstacles etc.. one can just miss those by mere inches or not.
And the poor young man on the ground, what are the odds...

Most sad...thoughts are out to all the people involved.
Straighten up and fly right!
Perry
Walter105
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Walter105 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:18 am

Why would the survivors have been flown to Milpark? Surely there are hospitals in Pretoria that are closer? Unitas etc?
The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your arm.

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”