Soyuz MS-10 has launch failure -Astronaut & Cosmonaut make emergency landing.

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

GRAHAMW
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAUL

Soyuz MS-10 has launch failure -Astronaut & Cosmonaut make emergency landing.

Unread post by GRAHAMW » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:30 pm

@NASA
1h1 hour ago

The search and rescue teams have reached the Soyuz spacecraft landing site and report that the two crew members are in good condition and are out of the capsule. Search and rescue teams are with the crew now.

Live coverage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr2Hq9HZI_s
Graham Wallbridge

The secret to getting ahead is getting started - Mark Twain
Slam and Go
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Re: Soyuz MS-10 has launch failure -Astronaut & Cosmonaut make emergency landing.

Unread post by Slam and Go » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:35 pm

And we worry about EFATO :shock:
rare bird
1k poster
1k poster

Re: Soyuz MS-10 has launch failure -Astronaut & Cosmonaut make emergency landing.

Unread post by rare bird » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:25 pm

as someone commented: "Congratulations on the first manned rocket flight direct to Kazakhstan"
Mfezi
Airspeed active
Closest Airfield: FAKT

Unread post by Mfezi » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:39 pm

rare bird wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:25 pm
as someone commented: "Congratulations on the first manned rocket flight direct to Kazakhstan"
I thought all manned Russian spaceflights start and end in Kazakhstan. Or is the distinction here the "direct", as in normally you get to go around the Earth a bunch of times before landing back in Kazakhstan?
Mfezi
Airspeed active

Unread post by Mfezi » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Out of interest, I checked this out for myself, and it seems the first "manned rocket flight to Kazakhstan" would have been Vostok 4 in 1962 which launched on 12 August and landed on 15 August 1962. All the Vostok missions were launched from Baikonur and Vostok 1, 2 and 3 were all meant to land somewhere near Baikonur, but it appears hitting something the size of a country (or then, a given republic inside the USSR) after re-entry wasn't a very precise science. So, Vostok 1 landed South of Engels in what is today Russia, Vostok 2 landed not far from where Vostok 1 landed, also in what is today part of Russia, Vostok 3 landed in what is today part of Kyrgyzstan and, at last, Vostok 4 landed East of Baikonur inside Kazakhstan.
Last edited by Mfezi on Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRAHAMW
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by GRAHAMW » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:12 pm

Sky News Breaking

@SkyNewsBreak
7m7 minutes ago
More
Russia has launched a criminal investigation into the failed launch of a Soyuz rocket which led to two astronauts having to make an emergency landing
Graham Wallbridge

Mfezi
Airspeed active

Unread post by Mfezi » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:40 pm

GRAHAMW wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:12 pm
Russia has launched a criminal investigation into the failed launch of a Soyuz rocket which led to two astronauts having to make an emergency landing
It should be noted that this is standard in Russia whenever negligence is a possibility - so they do this for almost all notable accidents (aviation and otherwise). It does not necessarily mean they know or suspect something. However, following the recent incident where someone drilled a hole in one of the Russian IST modules, coupled with the exceptional safety record of Soyuz, it is hardly surprising that they immediately launched a criminal investigation following today's events.
rare bird
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rare bird » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:01 pm

Mfezi wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:03 pm
Out of interest, I checked this out for myself, and it seems the first "manned rocket flight to Kazakhstan" would have been Vostok 4 in 1962 which launched on 12 August and landed on 15 August 1962. All the Vostok missions were launched from Baikonur and Vostok 1, 2 and 3 were all meant to land somewhere near Baikonur, but it appears hitting something the size of a country (or then, a given republic inside the USSR) after re-entry wasn't a very precise science. So, Vostok 1 landed South of Engels in what is today Russia, Vostok 2 landed not far from where Vostok 1 landed, also in what is today part of Russia, Vostok 3 landed in what is today part of Kyrgyzstan and, at last, Vostok 4 landed East of Baikonur inside Kazakhstan.
very interesting!
I must say, I have come to respect Russian engineering over the years!
Spoke Eagle
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Silver Creek

Unread post by Spoke Eagle » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:37 am

Don't know much about this but at around 2.1 minutes it starts steering like a taxi. Must have been a wild ride!
GRAHAMW
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by GRAHAMW » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:16 am

Spoke Eagle wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:37 am
Don't know much about this but at around 2.1 minutes it starts steering like a taxi. Must have been a wild ride!
They said they were exposed to 7/8 g's
Graham Wallbridge

MadMacs
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: GRJ

Unread post by MadMacs » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:28 am

7 to 8 g's is chicken feed to them :D on one occasion the crew suffered 20 g and one of them apparently never recovered properly from the effects, I wonder what exactly?
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.
Broadbandboer
Avionics Master On
Closest Airfield: FASC

Unread post by Broadbandboer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:22 am

Mfezi wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:03 pm
First sub orbital rocket flight direct to Kazakhstan?
Nico van der Linde
ZS-ETT C182

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”