Emergency at Pilansberg

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Re: Emergency at Pilansberg

Unread post by paulw » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:12 pm

Genib123 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Spoke Eagle wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:27 am
Considering the 2011 fatality and all the warnings then and now this is rediculous.
Shurly the owners can string a second line that is highlited at very little cost. They should be revved very hard :twisted:
This puzzles me. Would that not then be 2 x obstacles to avoid?
No, in line of flight just one now visible.
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
homebuilt
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAEL

Unread post by homebuilt » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:26 pm

I spoke earlier about decapitation. If you look at the two close up photos of the aircraft hanging on its nose, you can see the bend in the forward lift strut where the wire caught. Join that to the other side one and the cable must have been (stopped) inches from their heads. Very lucky indeed.
savas
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FABB

Unread post by savas » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:21 pm

Any chance of hearing from the Pilot, as to why he ended up there?
Bobsmyuncle
Incipient Spin
Closest Airfield: Silver Creek

Unread post by Bobsmyuncle » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:10 am

savas wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:21 pm
Savas, This might give you a better idea, lapse of concentration by the sound of it.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -leak.html
Giles
Ikarus C42B ZU-ESI
Megannon
Tripped over wheel chock
Closest Airfield: AFB Waterkloof

Unread post by Megannon » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:48 pm

savas wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:21 pm
Savas, according to a colleague who knows the pilot very well, the pilot said he was volunteering with the Anti-Poaching guys and was flying in the area looking for poachers and just didn't see the wire.

This bugs me as the group of volunteers should then be familiar with the area and they should have known of and warned other or new pilots about the zipline.
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG

Unread post by jimdavis » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:19 pm

Megannon wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:48 pm

...according to a colleague who knows the pilot very well, the pilot said he was volunteering with the Anti-Poaching guys and was flying in the area looking for poachers and just didn't see the wire.

This bugs me as the group of volunteers should then be familiar with the area and they should have known of and warned other or new pilots about the zipline.
Hi Megan... and on... and on... and on... That also bugs me.

Where's Wynand? I can't imagine guys just jump in their aeries and decide to go looking for poachers. I seem to remember Wynand running a very tight ship, and I am sure proper briefings would be a part of each flight.

Is this not the case? Haven't heard from Wynand in ages - is he still active in this area?

Jim
"SO OTHERS MAY LIVE - Flying Accidents Analysed". This book will be available soon. It asks: "Can Smart Pilots See Accidents Coming - And Avoid Them?" Get this and other Jim Davis books on Kindle at: http://www.jimdavis.co.za
Tim
Steep Turn Left
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread post by Tim » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:48 pm

Tim wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:56 pm
wynand wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:32 am
Case in point: The Sun City Zipline is marked as a cableway on EasyPlan and EasyCockpit. So is the Sentech Tower next to it. Pilanesberg Nature Reserve is correctly indicated and the height restriction is correctly stated. I hope the other commercial apps do the same?
Wynand, do you mean that EasyCockpit shows the cable way (or its top and bottom stations) on the map? (Mine doesn't, unless I have wrongly set some map setting.) Or do you just mean that the cable way is mentioned in the "information" for FAPN?

SkyDemon has a good obstacle warning feature. But of course it is only as good as its obstacle database, the latter maybe covers 50% of the actual radio masts (it does have the Sentech Tower though). As the cable way is in the AIP's (thanks for pointing that out), I might be able to get SkyDemon to include it with they next map update.
I contacted SkyDemon and suggested to include this information with their next map update. SkyDemon refused. They said that the maintenance (inclusion, update, deletion if no longer needed) of restricted areas in their air space database is a fairly automated process. In this context they can only regularly scan the AIP section ENR5.1 (for all countries that they service), and not read any and all misplaced remarks in other sections of the AIP.

Fair comment, I should think. Regrettably though this means that SkyDemon will not warn me of those obstacles.

Something the editors of the AIP should keep in mind going forward: People don't actually read the AIP's. The AIP data gets presented to pilots by more user-friendly and situation-aware computer apps. This requires a certain rigour on behalf of those working on the raw data.
BigglesSA
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by BigglesSA » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:32 pm

jimdavis wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:19 pm
Megannon wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:48 pm

...according to a colleague who knows the pilot very well, the pilot said he was volunteering with the Anti-Poaching guys and was flying in the area looking for poachers and just didn't see the wire.

Hi Megan... and on... and on... and on... That also bugs me.

Where's Wynand? I can't imagine guys just jump in their aeries and decide to go looking for poachers. I seem to remember Wynand running a very tight ship, and I am sure proper briefings would be a part of each flight.

Is this not the case? Haven't heard from Wynand in ages - is he still active in this area?

Jim
Uncle Jim

Wynand operates from Hoedspruit and area managing a Jabiru J170 on frequent patrols doing the same thing with huge successes!!!! =D> =D> =D>
Groetnis
Francois Gouws
wingnutzster
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Sommerveld

Unread post by wingnutzster » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:31 pm

42756600_2212570062295450_4588373721923715072_n.jpg
I saw a trike hit wires and get spun violently into the ground with tragic consequences, barring the unfortunate initial event there seem to have been several chain moments of pure luck or divine intervention that kept them and their machine relatively unscathed, I can't recall an incident in aviation that went this right after it went all wrong.

*Hitting the wire precisely where they did
*The struts and down tubes and relative low speed that kept the wire from slicing through
*That on impact given the resistance of the struts they weren't sprung off the line or into the ground
*That the backplate/ prop assembly nut held the wire in place for 5 hours despite the energy of the impact and subsequent reverberation and regular strong winds, the prop assembly spins, although it would have come to an abrupt halt on impact millimeters of rotation could have meant the cable would not have snagged
*That there was no post impact fire given the massive fuel and oil leaks and just the potential of the impact with a steel cable to spark a fire itself
*That they had one of the best and most committed rescue teams in the world with experience in this type of incident

A truly remarkable story I will never forget.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"They that wait on the Lord shall mount up on wings as an Eagle"...Isa40
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG

Unread post by jimdavis » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:52 pm

BigglesSA wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:32 pm

Uncle Jim

Wynand operates from Hoedspruit and area managing a Jabiru J170 on frequent patrols doing the same thing with huge successes!!!! =D> =D> =D>
Thanks Francois. I actually knew that I was just having a blond moment!

jim
"SO OTHERS MAY LIVE - Flying Accidents Analysed". This book will be available soon. It asks: "Can Smart Pilots See Accidents Coming - And Avoid Them?" Get this and other Jim Davis books on Kindle at: http://www.jimdavis.co.za

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”