When nature calls?...

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

John Hilton
Tripped over wheel chock
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:47 am

Re: When nature calls?...

Unread post by John Hilton » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:09 pm

Thanks for all of the insightful replies everyone, there seems to be multiple solutions - simplest of which seems to be the technical stop.

I will see about acquiring some of those pee wee bags, those could help in an absolutely desperate situation.

Thanks again,
John
User avatar
Sceptic
See Helicopter in the distance
Posts: 551
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:31 pm
Closest Airfield: Port Elizabeth
Location: Port Elizabeth

Re: When nature calls?...

Unread post by Sceptic » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:05 am

User avatar
BONNIE MAD
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1266
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:36 pm
Location: KIMBERLEY

Re: When nature calls?...

Unread post by BONNIE MAD » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:59 pm

Its quite simply easier to <<moderated - language>> in your pants than tangle with African countries and their clearances
MEN WERE MEANT TO RIDE WITH CLOUDS BETWEEN THEIR KNEES
Jean Crous
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2820
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:10 pm
Closest Airfield: FASX
Location: Barrydale Western Cape

Re: When nature calls?...

Unread post by Jean Crous » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:12 pm

chrisbe20 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:39 pm
The Hun wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:53 pm
First thing I installed in my Cubby, was a funnel and a pipe leading outside
Heard of a guy back in the day of Rhodesia, he had a funnel fitted into his PA235 with one of those old venturi gyro systems still seen on some old 172's due to a bad bladder...apparently on the first use it sucked his job into it so bad he made an emergency landing. :shock:
A battered, tattered todger comes to mind :shock: :shock: Methinks a good clean HTH bottle is the way to go, cheap and effective.
Jean.
Cubby Aircraft Factory
New front seat solo Cubby MK2
Powered by a Rotax 912 engine
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
jaggedassasins
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 603
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:15 pm
Closest Airfield: FALA
Location: Lanseria

Re: When nature calls?...

Unread post by jaggedassasins » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:35 pm

BONNIE MAD wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:59 pm
Its quite simply easier to <<moderated - language>> in your pants than tangle with African countries and their clearances
This. If you don't have a landing permit for the country you land in, the chances of being arrested tend to increase exponentially.
User avatar
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Posts: 7043
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:43 pm
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Location: Wherever there is good diamond gravels...

Re: When nature calls?...

Unread post by Rotor kop » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:04 pm

A 2L milk bottle or oros bottle works well.
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
User avatar
cage
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Posts: 8885
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35

Re: When nature calls?...

Unread post by cage » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:09 pm

Rotor kop wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:04 pm
A 2L milk bottle or oros bottle works well.
Or just don't have a prostate the size of a melon?
CWS
Changing Underwear
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:34 pm
Closest Airfield: Morningstar

Re: When nature calls?...

Unread post by CWS » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:34 pm

:D
cage wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:09 pm
Rotor kop wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:04 pm
A 2L milk bottle or oros bottle works well.
Or just don't have a prostate the size of a melon?
:D :D Technically your prostate had nothing to do with how big a pee you can make. It only holds—- oh damn this is a family show you may have to look it up😂
Rotorblade
Flight Planning
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:12 pm
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch
Location: Cape Town

Re: When nature calls?...

Unread post by Rotorblade » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:12 pm

Interesting topic. Allegedly Heli drivers never have this problem: they simply whip it out, unroll it halfway and then let it hang out in the breeze. I am properly jealous. :D

But if not a Heli pilot, the chem bag proposed in a gliding context seems an excellent solution. Where may mere mortals obtain those?
User avatar
cage
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Posts: 8885
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35

Re: When nature calls?...

Unread post by cage » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:25 pm

Rotorblade wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:12 pm
Interesting topic. Allegedly Heli drivers never have this problem: they simply whip it out, unroll it halfway and then let it hang out in the breeze. I am properly jealous. :D

But if not a Heli pilot, the chem bag proposed in a gliding context seems an excellent solution. Where may mere mortals obtain those?
The problem with that method is getting the tackle wrapped around the tail rotor :twisted:
bear
Radio Call
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:40 pm
Closest Airfield: FASH
Location: Cape Town

Re: When nature calls?...

Unread post by bear » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:26 pm

No idea on a solution for a number 2, but a browse through the fruit juices at almost any cafe will reveal some 500ml juices in a plastic bottle, with a large enough spout to make aiming easier.
Givane O
Rolling
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:49 pm
Closest Airfield: Jandakot
Location: Perth (Western Australia)

Re: When nature calls?...

Unread post by Givane O » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:16 am

This doesn't take up much space when empty, even softness can use it.
IMG_20190116_111058.jpg[/attachm ent][attachment=0]IMG_20190116_111139.jpg
IMG_20190116_111058.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Givane Oosthuizen

"The greater difficulty, the more glory in surmounting it. Skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests"

"The only mystery in life is why the kamikaze pilots wore helmets"
User avatar
richard C
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Posts: 8304
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:02 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Location: Joeys

Re: When nature calls?...

Unread post by richard C » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:41 am

cage wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:25 pm
Rotorblade wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:12 pm
Interesting topic. Allegedly Heli drivers never have this problem: they simply whip it out, unroll it halfway and then let it hang out in the breeze. I am properly jealous. :D

But if not a Heli pilot, the chem bag proposed in a gliding context seems an excellent solution. Where may mere mortals obtain those?
The problem with that method is getting the tackle wrapped around the tail rotor :twisted:
Yeah yeah. That would be your HF antenna, methinks.
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
User avatar
Jayson v Schalkwyk
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1927
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:02 am
Closest Airfield: Himeville
Location: Between A and B

Re: When nature calls?...

Unread post by Jayson v Schalkwyk » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:01 am

"wee Jon" are available from any good pilot shop. Or, a Staysoft fabric softener bottle "or similar" would work.
Jayson van Schalkwyk

A pilot's professionalism is judged by how he flies when nobody is looking

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”