Aircraft missing in Mozambique

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Avgas
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWA Warmbaths ex FANY
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: Aircraft missing in Mozambique

Unread post by Avgas » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:17 am

=D> =D> =D>
Words can not decribe the respect I have for you for the task you all completed out of the goodness of your hearts
I salute you all
Real Men don't have to Kill Rhino for a Horn
Balls to the wall
Richard Nicholson
Chopperanskie
Tripped over wheel chock
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Chopperanskie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:12 pm

Just some interesting notes that I heard about this search. This is from an old pilot in the States who has been following this crash quite closely. These are world records according to him.
This has been the largest private search outside the country of the aircrafts origin.
The biggest privately funded search.
The longest private search.
Roger
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 440 times

Unread post by Roger » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:46 pm

Chopperanskie wrote: The biggest privately funded search.
Did it exceed the Fosset search?
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
Darrell Lush
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FABB
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Darrell Lush » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:23 pm

Chopperanskie wrote:Just some interesting notes that I heard about this search. This is from an old pilot in the States who has been following this crash quite closely. These are world records according to him.
This has been the largest private search outside the country of the aircrafts origin.

Not too sure how correct that is.....the Dirk Booysen C 210 accident in the Baviaanskloof took longer IIRC and also had huge financial input from private people..
I was not always this sarcastic.

It took me years of dealing with A-holes to get this good at it...
Marius Schrenk
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 153 times

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:55 pm

[quote="Chopperanskie"]Just some interesting notes that I heard about this search. This is from an old pilot in the States who has been following this crash quite closely. These are world records according to him.
Outside :idea:
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
paulw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Galway Airport
Has liked: 825 times
Been liked: 296 times

Unread post by paulw » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:57 pm

Darrell Lush wrote:
Chopperanskie wrote:Just some interesting notes that I heard about this search. This is from an old pilot in the States who has been following this crash quite closely. These are world records according to him.

Not too sure how correct that is.....the Dirk Booysen C 210 accident in the Baviaanskloof took longer IIRC and also had huge financial input from private people..
Just checked. Chris Booysen was found after 10 days.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28629&hilit=Baviaanskloof&start=825
S&R stopped after 8 days and then private search continued.
.4 more years -soon
Don't believe what I post, research what I post
“We can only spread our knowledge outwards from individual to individual, generation after generation. In the face of the Thought Police, there is no other way.” George Orwell, 1984
Mike Wissing
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: KBDN
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 158 times

Unread post by Mike Wissing » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:31 pm

Skybound wrote:
Chopperanskie wrote: The biggest privately funded search.
Did it exceed the Fosset search?
Fosset was not private, and was in the States, not outside her borders.
This search lasted 4 weeks - CAP flew 1774 hours using 15 aircraft.

None of it was privately funded.

At its peak, the search involved more than 45 aircraft,
many of them from the Civil Air Patrol’s fleet. CAP’s
pilots flew 629 flights totaling 1,774 flying hours. In all,
more than 17,000 man-hours were invested in the mission,
both in the air and on the ground

http://www.capvolunteernow.com/media/cm ... D2E46C.pdf
Mike Wissing
C.A.P. Search and Rescue Mission Pilot - SAR Check Pilot.
Professional RV builder and company test pilot
I can't wait for computer keyboards to come out with a breathalyzer..........
Zollie

Unread post by Zollie » Fri May 31, 2013 12:18 pm

A message from Lillian, as we've passed 7 months without the boys:

No words can express, no act of gratitude can relay, no gift can represent what your commitment and support have meant to us as a family – THANK YOU.
Please accept this note as an indicator of my heartfelt appreciation for everything that you have done for our family in the search for Bryan and Robs.
The continued support is amazing and has been so central in our ability to cope with the situation we have found ourselves in.
Assistance to the Simms family came in so many forms that it is simply impossible to account, in any conventional way, for all this charity.
So many impromptu assistance efforts popped into existence without any central coordination. It was an incredible display of human kindness. Every person or group of people chose where and what they could do to help and simply got on with it.
Volunteers spent vast amounts of their own time and money assisting in so many different ways:
• People took special time to comfort and support Lillian and the family during this time.
• Volunteers manned the coordination centre for the search efforts.
• The team who planned and helped plan the aerial search team efforts.
• The air search teams themselves who came from all over RSA and then relentlessly flew over thousands of kilometres of Mozambique bush.
• The owners of the aircraft in the volunteer air search teams who incredibly and generously donated their personal time, effort and cost of aircraft, selflessly engaging in the search.
• The ground search teams who travelled up to Mozambique and spent weeks in the bush investigating all possible leads.
• All the different folk in Mozambique who helped in so many ways, opening their doors to the ground and aerial search teams and offered all imaginable types of assistance.
• The people who donated so generously to the SAR fund in the names of Bryan and Robbie, many of whom didn't know the boys at all, and many who simply couldn’t afford to donate anything but felt compelled to send something.
• The official government Search and Rescue effort, manned by dedicated folk who served way above their official duties.
• And to the many people and groups that have not been accounted for, who so generously helped in other ways.
Approximately R560 000 was variously collected in the SAR Fund and approximately R300 000 was spent on expenses. However, the true scale of the time and money ‘donated’ by all runs into the millions.
When the official government funded search ended, the appeal that was made on Facebook was to donate to the SAR fund to help fund private volunteer efforts. Any monies left would be donated to the Santi White Trust.
An enormous amount of work has been done, and is still continuing, with the blessing and in consultation with Santi White as to the establishment of a volunteer organisation. The search for Bryan and Rob has shown us the importance of such an organisation.

It is thanks to all of yourselves and your selfless dedication to our request that has enabled the balance of the SAR funds to become the boost needed to formally launch AVIATION VOLUNTEER RESCUE ORGANISATION (AVRO).
From the entire Simms family again we THANK YOU, without your help we would not have been exposed to the value of such selfless giving and compassion. Today’s world seems to be one of self-preservation. What we have experienced and been exposed to is a reflection of the wonderful people you are.
• Generosity, a willingness to give your time to others.
• Understanding, because our lives might be very different from your own.
• Empathy, an ability to put yourself in someone else's shoes and feel what they must feel.
• Compassion, to truly care about making someone else's life better.
• Patience, because the process doesn't always go as smoothly as it might.
• Dedication, to stick with the project and see it through.
Thank you again.
Lillian, Claire, Stephen and all our extended families
Sea Rescue
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 123 times

Unread post by Sea Rescue » Fri May 31, 2013 5:22 pm

Zollie,

Thanks for placing this "epitaph" on the graves of the "Boys" - makes for wonderful reading and clearly indicates to what extent the "volunteers" and others were, and still are, appreciated. Not only by Lillian and the family, but by the whole aviation fraternity.

Gee-whizz !! What a splendid idea !

- Here I have been doing volunteer work for Sea Rescue ? - when in fact I concur that maybe it is high time we have "AVRO" - an Aviation Volunteer Rescue Organisation - WHAO !!! Could this mean that other countries will follow the example and soon aviators world wide can fly with more peace of mind ?? - just imagine that ??

Wherever you fly there are chaps whom you know you can rely on and who will assist you with all sorts of emergencies you may encounter - even go out and look for you when required.

A little like Sea Rescue in the R.S.A, Britain's R.N.L.I. (Royal Navy Life Boat Institution) - America's - Coast-Guard.(However some of their staff are in paid jobs.) Germany also have a "Sea Rescue" organisation etc, etc.

I would volunteer to join an "A.V.R.O" branch near me in the Cape. I would also be prepared to give of my own time to be trained by Santjie and her team. Imagine what this could be worth if developed properly. I think people like "Redmoon" and others who showed their commitment in this incident would make an excellent "foundation" on which to launch such a "World First" - "Aviation Rescue Organisation". The chaps could be trained to "find" and "secure" an accident site until the C.A.A. team can get to the scene etc. etc.

You have my interest and support - just send a pm. when ready.

Sea Rescue - with more of a heart for Aviation.
Mike Wissing
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: KBDN
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 158 times

Unread post by Mike Wissing » Fri May 31, 2013 5:47 pm

Wonderful idea. I'm in, for sure.
Mike Wissing
C.A.P. Search and Rescue Mission Pilot - SAR Check Pilot.
Professional RV builder and company test pilot
I can't wait for computer keyboards to come out with a breathalyzer..........
Slick Willy
Left downwind (unmanned)
Closest Airfield: FASK
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by Slick Willy » Fri May 31, 2013 5:55 pm

I too would like to join AVRO.
Please let me know when it is up and running
Any pilot can describe the mechanics of flying. What it can do for the spirit of man is beyond description.

Shaun Melass
happyskipper
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FQNC
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by happyskipper » Fri May 31, 2013 6:22 pm

I think it is time to open a new thread topic.....
This "AVRO" sounds like an excellent idea... I would like to volunteer my services, based in Durban, very active inn the maritime industry, and still very connected to the aviation industry. I participated in several major search and rescues, as an Operations Controller, and would gladly share my limited experience and knowledge with others.

Great idea, and I hope this becomes like the NSRI, professional yet voluntary.
Mark 8)
AKA "happyslipper", "slappykipper" ... etc.. :lol:
Yellow Baron
Engine Cranking
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Aircraft missing in Mozambique - ASVO

Unread post by Yellow Baron » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:55 pm

On the topic of an Air Search Volonteer Organisation (ASVO) for South Africa:

Read carefully between the lines of a front page article that appeared in the May 2013 edition of African Pilot magazine titled:

"MCSA Search & Rescue Biannual National Exercise"

Zollie

Unread post by Zollie » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Thanks for all the interest in the Volunteer Organisation.

Unfortunately I have no further details (other than what was sent to me to be posted) and as I am no longer resident in South Africa, I am not at the forefront of this.
I know that between Ian & Antje Stevens this is being managed.

Thanks again

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”