Aircraft missing in Mozambique

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Orange_Teletubby
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Aircraft missing on Mozambique

Unread post by Orange_Teletubby » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:40 pm

cvh wrote:OK now i am getting confused ...

why are there different references to the amount of people on board?

Would the amount stated on the Flight Plan not be assumed as correct - I understand 2
Now - News 24 states - 5 (later info)

so how many are there on board?
It was a ferry flight... 2 Pilots on board. News24 report is inaccurate or it is a different aircraft that went down as they are referring to a Baron 55.
ETOPS
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by ETOPS » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:41 pm

Orange_Teletubby wrote:
ETOPS wrote:
Peter L wrote:News24 say 5 on board
If that is true, with minimum required fuel on board for the trip they would have been in excess of the maximum take off weight, in which case a BE58 wouldn't fly far with one engine out.
Well if you believe News 24 who also state it is a Baron 55, then your fuel calculations would also be incorrect.
True.
cvh
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASY
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by cvh » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:46 pm

Thank you for your input.

Gf knows the family, hence the question ...
Shaunus
Rolling from unmanned
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by Shaunus » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:00 pm

I would like to know why News24 gets it wrong time and time again (incorrect reporting, using any pictures willy nilly etc)? Do they have ulterior motives, or do they just employ morons? Surely a big part of journalism is research??
Privileged to have flown Cubby (ZU-CYB), Jabbie (ZU-JHF), Thunderbird (ZS-WPN, ZS-VWH), Samba XL (ZU-LAR), and C172 (ZS-JIM)
kwest
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAGC + FALA
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by kwest » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:23 pm

Someone told the journo that the BE 55 (only 3 less than 8, close enough) has 5 passenger seats.... So... If it floats and is made of wood :?: It must be a Duck :roll:

Praying for a happy outcome here [-o<
Keith Stannard.

"I've got wild staring eyes. And I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
Madumbi76
Mags On

Unread post by Madumbi76 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:32 pm

News 24 battle to spell their headlines correctly.
They have no interest in fact, just being first with braking nesw.
What others find in Opera and Cathedrals, I find in a warm Merlin!
Alan Robertson
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: North Shore Airport
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 67 times

Unread post by Alan Robertson » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:47 pm

Madumbi76 wrote:News 24 battle to spell their headlines correctly.
They have no interest in fact, just being first with braking nesw.
Your post screams irony. ;-)
Old, Fat and Hairy
Frequent AvComer
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Old, Fat and Hairy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:52 pm

Quite. Sometimes the humour needs to be applied with a trowel in order for folks to get it.
I'd like my obituary to read "Savior of the world", but I'd settle for "Mauled to death drawing a penis on the forehead of a sleeping lion."
plane
Aircraft in Hangar
Has liked: 2 times

Unread post by plane » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:49 pm

Emergency locator transmitters

91.04.23 (1) Except as provided in sub-regulation (3), no owner or operator of an aircraft specified in Document SA-CATS 91 shall operate such aircraft unless it is equipped with one or more approved ELTs.

(2) The number and type of ELTs, the manner in which these shall be carried, the specifications to which they shall adhere, the frequencies on which they shall be able to transmit and the manner in which they shall be maintained are prescribed in Document SA-CATS 91.

(3) The following aircraft are exempted from the requirement prescribed in sub-regulation (1) –

(a) aircraft engaged in flights remaining within a radius of 50 nautical miles from their point of departure;

(b) aircraft engaged in the aerial application of chemicals or other substances for agricultural purposes, and on flights incidental thereto;

(c) a new aircraft on a flight for a purpose associated with its manufacture and preparation for delivery, but not when on its delivery flight;

(d) an aircraft flown for the purpose of moving it to a place to have an approved ELT fitted, or a fitted ELT repaired, removed or overhauled: Provided that only the required flight crew members may be carried on board;

(e) an aircraft of which the ELT has been temporarily removed for inspection, repair, modification or replacement: Provided the necessary logbook entries have been made, a placard stating “ELT not installed or carried” has been installed in a position easily visible to the flight crew, and a period of 90 days is not exceeded;

(f) aircraft certified for research and development purposes;

(g) aircraft used for showing compliance with regulations, or in crew training, air racing, air display or market surveys;

(h) aircraft with an approved seating configuration of not more than one person;

(i) aircraft operated in terms of Part 94; and

(j) any aircraft on a flight or a series of flights for which an exemption in writing has been granted by the Director.
Sea Rescue
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 123 times

Unread post by Sea Rescue » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:51 pm

Just coming back to the ELT subject. Comment was made that in the event of a
serious accident the ELT may well be rendered useless ? I guess one could well
say that, but add that if that is the case, the pax won't need help quickly either?

However, if downed and you can crawl away with a PLB in your hand -- boy -o-boy
what consolation that must be ?

Recently a list was posted of "things" one should pack on board for use in emergencies
such as what we are reading about again now - well also remember to pack the survival
bag right at the end when all the other luggage has been stowed, in order that it can
be reached quickly and easily when evacuating a post crash fire for instance. The Air
Force flying suits had a leg pocket for what we called a "personal survival pack", in
order to at least provide you with "sumting" if the rest went up with the avgas ?
Maybe slip your PLB into your flying suit as well ?? - - size permitting ?

Purely speculative "safety thoughts". Hoping for good news soon.
Darrell Lush
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FABB
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Darrell Lush » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:59 pm

richard C wrote:
MilesvdM wrote:Hoping the two guys on board are ok and can be rescued and brought back home to their families soon. The search area is vast and the SAR guys really have their work cut out for them. Sterkte to all those involved and to all those desperately awaiting the news of what they manage to find.

Its disappointing to see how little recognition there is on this thread for the people on this aircraft and that they may be in desperate need of help. Instead the monday morning quaterbacks are already warming up their same old tired theories on what happened. Shame on you.
MilesvdM

Please read the T & C's for Avcom. This is the Academy section - we are here to speculate and learn. The discussion is partaken with no intent of criticism or disrespect to the pilots, passengers, families or friends. It's intent is to perhaps prevent a similar event in the future one day. The General Aviation Chatter forum normally carries a thread with messages of support and comfort to the family and friends.
I do not understand how anyone can even begin to speculate at a time when we have absolutely no information. An aircraft is missing at this stage...nothing more...nothing less....
I was not always this sarcastic.

It took me years of dealing with A-holes to get this good at it...
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 1410 times
Been liked: 1774 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:12 pm

Darrell Lush wrote:I do not understand how anyone can even begin to speculate at a time when we have absolutely no information. An aircraft is missing at this stage...nothing more...nothing less....
That's simply not true, Darrell. We have been told that it is a Baron, and that it was on one engine, and that it was either dark or getting dark, and the weather was fine. He was apparently over low-lying country - not Lesotho. I think there is sufficient information here for intelligent speculation.

Jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
Deanw
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 388 times

Unread post by Deanw » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:13 pm

South Africans thought to be on missing plane
2012-10-31 17:04

Nielen Bottomley, News24

Cape Town – Search and rescue teams have teamed up to find a light aircraft that was last heard from over Mozambique's northwest.

The small Baron 58 was carrying 2 people, thought to be South Africans, when it took off from Lilongwe airport en route to Lanseria airport, north of Johannesburg, on Sunday.

The plane started experiencing engine difficulties in Mozambique, and the pilot rerouted to Beira where he never arrived.

Santjie White, chief of the Aeronautical Rescue Centre in Johannesburg told News24 that six planes, a team of the Mountain Club of South Africa, and the voluntary communication group Hamnet were dispatched to Mozambique to help in the search.

White said the aircraft never entered South African airspace.

The plane did not send out a distress signal and no sign of it has been found.

After searching for the plane in vain on Sunday, Mozambique handed management of the search operation over to South Africa on Monday, where a joint search operation was adopted.
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
Darrell Lush
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FABB
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Darrell Lush » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:16 pm

jimdavis wrote:
Darrell Lush wrote:I do not understand how anyone can even begin to speculate at a time when we have absolutely no information. An aircraft is missing at this stage...nothing more...nothing less....
That's simply not true, Darrell. We have been told that it is a Baron, and that it was on one engine, and that it was either dark or getting dark, and the weather was fine. He was apparently over low-lying country - not Lesotho. I think there is sufficient information here for intelligent speculation.

Jim
Speculation about what ? What engine bombed out ? How dark was it, how fine was the weather ? C'mon....please explain how this can teach us anything ? To my mind we can only start speculating about a cause of an event. Right now we don't even know if we have an event....
I was not always this sarcastic.

It took me years of dealing with A-holes to get this good at it...
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 1410 times
Been liked: 1774 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:26 pm

Darrell, Pierre Gouws tells us the Wx was as follows: 160/10-15k 28'C sky clear QNH 1014. Vis greater than 10km. No ELT.

Certainly we have an event - a missing aircraft.

So we can speculate that it was probably not a weather-related accident and that it appears to have something to do with mechanical problems. Also the fact that there was no ELT should be a lesson for others.

But you know all this, Darrell. Why so grumpy? :D

Jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”