Amusing Ground School "Mishaps"....

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Brand
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: ORTIA
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 48 times

Re: Amusing Ground School "Mishaps"....

Unread post by Brand » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:03 am

homebuilt wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:31 pm
And that is why outcomes based education, as taught in this country for the last 20 years or so, has been such a disaster. How will one ever recover to the level we were at before this rubbish was taught. I don't think we ever will.
Unfortunately in this particular case the student is too old to have come through the education system in the last 25 years. He is sharp enough - but has a terrible attitude in my opinion. I think he fits perfectly into the "Don't let your money kill you" category. :twisted: Taking short cuts, too much confidence, not really interested in aviation, but it has the right image, etc.

Anyway - what do I know.
Attitude determines Altitude - in Flying and in Life........

Brand Wessels
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 443 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:18 am

Brand wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:03 am
homebuilt wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:31 pm
And that is why outcomes based education, as taught in this country for the last 20 years or so, has been such a disaster. How will one ever recover to the level we were at before this rubbish was taught. I don't think we ever will.
Unfortunately in this particular case the student is too old to have come through the education system in the last 25 years. He is sharp enough - but has a terrible attitude in my opinion. I think he fits perfectly into the "Don't let your money kill you" category. :twisted: Taking short cuts, too much confidence, not really interested in aviation, but it has the right image, etc.

Anyway - what do I know.
Hell you must have patience, Brand. I will stand on my head for a dumb pupe if he is keen, but I would have kicked this guy into touch after ten minutes. :lol:

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
excolonial
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: komani
Has liked: 198 times
Been liked: 67 times

Unread post by excolonial » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:21 pm

My my Brand - some real shockers there. The over/aft loading one will bite that guy sooner rather than later I expect. There was a flying ego(insulted me as a matter of course when we met in the pub for the first time - it was a brief encounter) in my homeland with a 206 who used to love overloading it to save cash on trips to the valley.

Well one day he is loading cement into the machine and being his usual cavalier self with the W&B. He was warned by a spectator who was promptly told to mind his own business. Even his game scout pax was getting a bit fidgety watching the loading. By all accounts all the people at the field were invited out of their hangars/offices to watch a crash. (Albeit not many left thanks to our fearless leaders management of the economy). Off he trundles, loaded to the gills and with a reluctant passenger (I think - he actually may have refused to fly if memory serves). Roaring engines, no decision point chosen and wallows into the air on the stall, heaves it over the fence, across the road and into the brickyard opposite. Scratch one Cessna which by all accounts was owned or paid for by someone else...

The ego had landed.
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
CraigDW
Finals (unmanned) for a Full Stop
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 0

Unread post by CraigDW » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:11 am

homebuilt wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:25 pm
sounds to me like a rich dad pressing his son to do something he just does not want to do. Happens often.
Damn I wish I had his dad 8)
Ever since I was a kid at school
I messed around with all the rules
Apologised then realised
I'm not different after all...
nrm
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by nrm » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:50 am

jimdavis wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:25 am
Back on topic - almost. Not really Ground School but almost.

I had this know-it-all pupil, in George, whom I dubbed "The Voice" because he was always chirping.

I dispatched him to do a pre-flight on one of my Colts. He returned almost instantly and stood with his hands on his hips. "The spring is broken."

Although I knew exactly what he was talking about, I played dumb. "Ah, that's interesting. Which spring?"

"In the nose wheel."

"Oh, I didn't know there was a spring there?"

"Come and look." He points at the oleo, which was pretty low. "There - you see?"

"No, sorry, I still don't know which spring."

This went on for a while, I simply couldn't get him to ASK. He was determined to TELL. Not a healthy attitude when you are meant to be learning.

I believe the three most important words in the English language are "I don't know". If you use them a lot it is amazing how much you learn. :D

Jim
My three favourite answers when I ask a guy in a simulator why he is doing something:

I dont know - fantastic then I will teach you

I have always done it this way - bad/no initial instruction

My instructor told me to do it that way - Bad parrot fashion instruction - no understanding.

I tell students to leave the question banks alone. They are just trying to memorise the answers. Learn and understand the subject then you can answer any question. Normally followed by a dismayed look.

I am told that in dead still calm conditions, you cannot fly an ILS hands off ?????? Clearly do not understand what trim and power settings are for.
Neville Matthews
Chalkie
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Venus
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times

Unread post by Chalkie » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:33 pm

nrm wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:50 am
I tell students to leave the question banks alone. They are just trying to memorise the answers. Learn and understand the subject then you can answer any question. Normally followed by a dismayed look.
TOO TRUE. =D> =D>
nrm wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:50 am
am told that in dead still calm conditions, you cannot fly an ILS hands off ?????? Clearly do not understand what trim and power settings are for.
And that full flap provides more drag than lift. The drag creates speed stability.
These users liked the author Chalkie for the post:
jimdavis
Brand
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: ORTIA
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 48 times

Unread post by Brand » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:06 am

My 2c's worth...

Any student has very little chance of passing the exams without a lot of application - or doing questions. Studying theory is the easy part - application is a different story. There are anything from 11 000 to 15 000 questions in each of the available on-line question databases. With four possible answers to each.

Even if they took the whole maximum 18 months to study all the subjects "extensively" and pass all the exams very well, they will know very little. I recently had a student who flies fast jets and has a degree in Metereology - but still failed ATPL Metereology twice before I met him. I also had a 28 000 hour retired training captain that was happily going to turn the wrong way(in class) for a standard IF holding pattern - currency is everything in aviation. Also the theory...

The CPL/ATPL content is just enough to get you going. And a license to learn and to hopefully become skilled enough to survive long enough.

However, I try to keep my students away from the electronic question banks - it slows down the study process too much.
These users liked the author Brand for the post:
Mike Wissing
Attitude determines Altitude - in Flying and in Life........

Brand Wessels

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”