The Academy and Safety section on AVCOM is intended as a section dedicated to promoting aviation safety and learning. It is from this type of environment that individuals should feel at ease to ask questions and have them answered by the more experienced aviators in our forum community. For this reason, this section will be moderated to a very high compliance standard.
Safety awareness and possible future accident prevention is brought about by discussing accidents as and when they happen and speculation about each specific accident as well as typical scenarios relating to each type of accident is encouraged. AVCOM does not purport that any sort of accident investigation is underway in order to apportion blame on any individual, but rather to discuss all probabilities with a view that the vast readership might learn from the knowledge put across and as a tool, might dissuade other aviators from falling into similar traps, etc…
This section requires login access and therefore any individual who browses or participates in this section does so with the full knowledge of the rules pertaining and have agree to abide by those rules.
In order to keep this section at the desired standard, the following RULES and protocol will rigidly be applied by the Moderators:-
- Speculation about accidents is encouraged – any post that attempts to question or suppress speculation will be deleted. (Oxford dictionary: Speculate - Form a theory or conjecture about a subject without firm evidence.)
- Names of the deceased in the case of fatal accidents should not be published on AVCOM until their details are reported in at least one main stream media.
- Accident scene pictures may be posted, but pictures of the accident scene may not contain images of the deceased.
- Condolences are not allowed in this section. Once it is clear that a fatality has occurred in any accident, the first avcomer who would like to express condolences should start a condolence topic in the GENERAL SECTION. Any condolences posted in the Academy and Safety section will be deleted.
- Keep to the topic – any posts that stray from the intended topic will be deleted. Discussions that reach the end of their life will be locked at the discretion of the moderators.
- No personal attacks – It is okay to express your view point no matter how radical it might be. Any post that “plays the man and not the ball” will be moderated and a warning issued to the poster. It is therefore important to ensure that any dialogue refrains from insulting or belittling comments.
- Read the whole topic before participating – All too often, individuals only read the last page or so and start asking questions or adding information that has already been posted. Please read the entire topic and all pages BEFORE you post your contribution.
- No idle chatter – Please keep your posts specific and direct in expressing your sentiments. Please do not post comments that might be specific to an individual, but consider that you are addressing the entire AVCOM community.
- Right to post – All individuals are encouraged to share or express their views. It must be understood that the AVCOM community comprises of professional pilots as well as engineers, businessman, hobbyists and folk from all walks of life. Having the right to post in this section means having the right to express your opinion or ask any question. If you are answering a question then please ensure that your answer is technically correct (as we are attempting to promote safety). If it is just your opinion, then please state that clearly at the beginning of your post and the experienced aviators will correct your assumption/comments in the interests of safety. In the same light, if you are an experienced aviator, please refrain from “throwing your hands in the air” when unqualified comments are made and rather put the effort in to write a concise response that will be everyone’s advantage an in so doing, being a valued contributor to this forum.
- Humorous comments - Please refrain from humorous comments and “play on words”, etc… in this section.
- No Trolls allowed – AVCOM encourages this section for meaningful use. Any individual who attempts to post in this section in order to abuse the privilege or deliberately mislead the audience, will be instantly banned at the moderator’s discretion.
- Remain Objective - Please keep emotion out of posts. It is understandable that in many cases emotions can run high, so if your contribution is emotionally charged, then please refrain from posting until you have had a chance to calm down.
- 24 Hour Edit Policy - Once you have posted, you have a window of 24 hours to edit your comments or correct your statements. After 24 hours, posts are automatically locked in order to preserve discussion continuity.
Avcom and its participants cannot be held liable for any loss to person or property incurred as a result of the usage of information published on this forum. Avcom further does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information disclosed. Neither AvCom or its moderators accepts liability for the individual posts of its participants.
The content posted reflects the opinion of the individual making the posting and does not neccessarily reflect the views of the moderators or other Avcomers. Any posting by an Avcomer must be viewed as subjective and as an opinion without the foundation or substantiation of fact and therefore must be accepted as hearsay and opinion only.
The copyright of any content, logos, pictures, and videos posted vests with the quoted author, the Avcom poster or Avcom as the case may be.
Copyright © 2005 – 2011 AvCom