Missing Aircraft, Old History

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

rare bird
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Missing Aircraft, Old History

Unread post by rare bird » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:45 pm

Funflier wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:22 pm
Hello again. I have just given a brief glimpse into the process up to date. I have spent considerable time in the search for this Baron and have now, finally, found 5 spots to go and check out. This will be done soon (from the air and then on foot) ... feedback will follow soon.
any luck?
Funflier
Priming
Closest Airfield: FASD
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Funflier » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:02 am

Hello all. Some of my Air Force colleagues recently spent some time in the search area while executing a helicopter mountaintain flying course. I asked them to 'Inspect' 4 specific spots while out there, but unfortunately time and conditions did not allow that. Now, once again, I am waiting for the change of season, whereafter we will go out there again...

Btw, just after the SAAF Oryx went down in Du Toits Kloof, I had to do some mountain flying in the area as part of the investigation process. During that time we hopped across to the Shackleton crash site (mentioned earlier). This was the first time I managed to get an aerial view of the site, having only hiked there on many occasions.

During one of these trips, somebody pointed out to me that there was also a wreck of a light aircraft (presumed to be a Cherokee) close to the Shackleton site. This wreck I have also not found yet. Once again, I would appreciate ANY information about this accident.
Winchman
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by Winchman » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:56 pm

Funflier wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:02 am
Hello all. Some of my Air Force colleagues recently spent some time in the search area while executing a helicopter mountaintain flying course. I asked them to 'Inspect' 4 specific spots while out there, but unfortunately time and conditions did not allow that. Now, once again, I am waiting for the change of season, whereafter we will go out there again...

Btw, just after the SAAF Oryx went down in Du Toits Kloof, I had to do some mountain flying in the area as part of the investigation process. During that time we hopped across to the Shackleton crash site (mentioned earlier). This was the first time I managed to get an aerial view of the site, having only hiked there on many occasions.

During one of these trips, somebody pointed out to me that there was also a wreck of a light aircraft (presumed to be a Cherokee) close to the Shackleton site. This wreck I have also not found yet. Once again, I would appreciate ANY information about this accident.
Hi Funflier

Some years ago I spent some time at the crash site of a Fairchild in that area. I documented the story under the thread Dutoitskloof Wreck started by someone else who had found it initially. A 1950's accident and we flew up over the Shack at the time. No knowledge of the Cherokee though. I have often contemplated getting back up there and if you are planning an expedition I would be keen to join.

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart Burgess
Fairchild UC61K in rebuild. Hanger 17 Stellenbosch
Funflier
Priming

Unread post by Funflier » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:59 am

Hi Stuart. I am actually planning to re-visit the site later this year, having being asked to take a close relative of one of the crew members along. This will be as near as possible to the date of the crash (August). Keep in touch for further details.
Gerhardt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users liked the author Funflier for the post (total 2):
RuanSJean Crous
rare bird
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by rare bird » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:44 pm

wow, Gerhardt, that is an amazing painting!
These users liked the author rare bird for the post:
Choppaboy
Funflier
Priming

Unread post by Funflier » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:40 am

Hi all. We just had a meeting wrt the planned 'expedition' to the Shackleton crash site (November 2019), during which I once again heard about a Cherokee wreck which lies somewhere in the crash area. As I would really love to visit that one too, ANY info on that particular accident would be welcomed....
Bugs
Steep Turn Right
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 18 times

Unread post by Bugs » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:00 pm

What is the law regarding salvage of an accident site.
Especially since they are abandoned and left to the elements.
The Sky is not the end, it is just the beginning of your adventure.
Real Aeroplanes Have Propellers.
rare bird
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by rare bird » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:27 am

the main point of the exercise is to understand what happened - it is not a salvage operation. Part of "Airmanship" is to respect the people who perished - so taking "souvenirs" is not welcome. What may be "acceptable" is to recover the serial number plate to mount on a memorial and give closure to relatives. As far as the law goes, the debate will be between the insurers if they paid out and now own it, or the original owner or if historic, you will need to talk to "tannie" SAHRA.

btw the SAAF did recover / salvage a few items off the Shackleton at the time (as much as an Alo with a flying-spanner on board could carry)
Winchman
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by Winchman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:22 pm

Funflier wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:40 am
Hi all. We just had a meeting wrt the planned 'expedition' to the Shackleton crash site (November 2019), during which I once again heard about a Cherokee wreck which lies somewhere in the crash area. As I would really love to visit that one too, ANY info on that particular accident would be welcomed....
Still keen to be involved and happy to assist any way I can with the planning.
Stuart Burgess
Fairchild UC61K in rebuild. Hanger 17 Stellenbosch
Bugs
Steep Turn Right
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 18 times

Unread post by Bugs » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:07 pm

The reasoning behind asking about salvage is a general question, not necessary to these wrecks being discussed.
Many spamcans are left exactly where they crashed, especially if the terrain makes it difficult to salvage.

Even if the insurers pay out, and they own the wreck, often it is abandoned by them due to the cost of recovery.
So if anyone wants to recover the wreck at their own expense, then surely some laws must apply as per maritime law or am I mistaken.

Another point is that I personally know of three wrecks that could be salvaged.
Considering the value of some historic aircraft such as WW II fighters, it could be a worth while exercise.
The Sky is not the end, it is just the beginning of your adventure.
Real Aeroplanes Have Propellers.
Funflier
Priming

Unread post by Funflier » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:42 pm

Hello again. Just to give some feedback wrt our Shackleton expedition this weekend. I served as guide to a group of 14 hikers into the Stetteynskloof valley on Saturday. The main aim was to take a near relative of one of the deceased crew to the crash site, which proved to be quite a emotional experience. Weather was very favourable and we managed to survey the area thoroughly with drones. Although the Cherokee crash site (mentioned earlier) remained elusive, we will be studying the drone footage for any signs of that wreckage. The natural vegetation has finally restored around the Shackleton wreckage, making it almost impossible to spot the scattered aircraft parts (See a comparison between the 2 attached photos). This has been a very tiring trip, but also very rewarding for the participants. My search for the Cherokee will continue..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RuanS
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by RuanS » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:31 pm

Some more pics that was taken on the expedition.

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”