Low flying again

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Romeo E.T.
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 60 times

Low flying again

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:24 pm

Posted on Facebook
high-speed low-level fly-by in a protected marine area near bird sanctuaries, near whale watching city of Hermanus

submitted by a concerned observer

sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
Mike Hagemann
Taxiing
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 26 times

Re: Low flying again

Unread post by Mike Hagemann » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:05 pm

I'm not condoning anything - just a comment. There have been aerial pix taken of the fire issues in Betty's Bay and evirons. Perhaps some form of disaster assessment?
Dr Mike Hagemann
UWC
Romeo E.T.
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:57 pm

Mike Hagemann wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:05 pm
I'm not condoning anything - just a comment. There have been aerial pix taken of the fire issues in Betty's Bay and evirons. Perhaps some form of disaster assessment?
it seems as if some high wing with struts was taking pictures of the fire ravaged area in Betty's Bay

but

from a much more friendlier altitude conducive to taking pictures, not from surf height, and not doing steep pull ups and windovers before returning at very low level again.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1567825 ... 988579433/

sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
Swampdonkey
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Swampdonkey » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:48 am

This aircraft is on strength at Cape Town Flying club, and has nothing to do with the fire fighting stories.
"Excuse me while I kiss the sky!" ---Jimi---1967-
savas
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FABB
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by savas » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:36 am

Ok simple , you have reg, you know where it’s based, send the form to CAA and let’s rid skies from “boys” like this.
CarlGrobler58
Steep Turn Right

Unread post by CarlGrobler58 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:41 am

So, did he/she break the law?
Christo
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Christo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:45 am

CarlGrobler58 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:41 am
So, did he/she break the law?
His first pass over those cyclists was not legal for sure! If he did a wingover like someone said and came back then even more so.
Due to the price increase in ammunition, do not expect a warning shot.

Sig Sauer, kinda like Glock except for men.
CarlGrobler58
Steep Turn Right

Unread post by CarlGrobler58 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:53 am

He doesn't look even close to the cyclists and a wingover is not illegal? Isn't that what they call a chandelle? He looks to be over the sea. Im not defending him/her. Just the legalities about this.
Christo
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand

Unread post by Christo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:58 am

CarlGrobler58 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:53 am
He doesn't look even close to the cyclists and a wingover is not illegal? Isn't that what they call a chandelle? He looks to be over the sea. Im not defending him/her. Just the legalities about this.
Looks close enough to me to be a nuisance. And not talking about the wingover. If you pass a assembly of people your first pass must be 1500' if you pass over them again that must happen at 3000'

Swampdonkey
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by Swampdonkey » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:01 am

Christo wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:58 am
CarlGrobler58 wrote:
Looks close enough to me to be a nuisance. And not talking about the wingover. If you pass a assembly of people your first pass must be 1500' if you pass over them again that must happen at 3000'
Do cyclists count as people?
"Excuse me while I kiss the sky!" ---Jimi---1967-
Christo
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand

Unread post by Christo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:04 am

Swampdonkey wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:01 am
Christo wrote:
CarlGrobler58 wrote:
Touche :lol:

AJW
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FARB
Has liked: 2 times

Unread post by AJW » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:10 am

Swampdonkey wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:01 am
Christo wrote:
CarlGrobler58 wrote:
In the Cape they are regarded as more precious than endangered species.....

But, is this not the issue?

" low-level fly-by in a protected marine area near bird sanctuaries"
Be safe
Abrie
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by cage » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:34 am

Christo wrote:
CarlGrobler58 wrote:
Not defending this oke, just commenting on the perception above.
Nuisance has been covered many times before, flying passed or over someone is not a nuisance. Not even close.
An assembly of people isn't a few on a beach, it refers to large public events so a beach packed with thousands would be an assembly. A handful walking the dog, not.

If someone wants to skim the waves that is their business, provided they adhere to the airspace restrictions and applicable regs. It is everyone's legal right to do stupid things (in some instances fatally so) within the legal frameworks provided.

When you can't exercise good judgement by selecting a spot where people won't be offended, then you deserve the flack you get.
C Africa
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by C Africa » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:32 pm

I agree with you Cage. I have no idea what the fuss is about.

Firstly the information was completely non sensical. It refers to "high speed". A 172 that flies at high speed? Wow!! I need to get me one!!!! I always thought that low speed was the dangerous flying maneuver, so it is news to me to hear that flying at "high speed" is now also considered dangerous!!!

There is no assembly of people and I don't see any thing that can be considered a nuisance (which would imply repeated flights).

I don't recall any flight restrictions in the Betty's bay area (like a nature reserve where the minimum height is 2000'.).

So I have no idea what this fred is all about. Just some-one blowing steam for no reason whatso-ever?

C
vildwillie
Rolling
Closest Airfield: Noth

Unread post by vildwillie » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:46 pm

C Africa wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:32 pm
I agree with you Cage. I have no idea what the fuss is about.

Firstly the information was completely non sensical. It refers to "high speed". A 172 that flies at high speed? Wow!! I need to get me one!!!! I always thought that low speed was the dangerous flying maneuver, so it is news to me to hear that flying at "high speed" is now also considered dangerous!!!

There is no assembly of people and I don't see any thing that can be considered a nuisance (which would imply repeated flights).

I don't recall any flight restrictions in the Betty's bay area (like a nature reserve where the minimum height is 2000'.).

So I have no idea what this fred is all about. Just some-one blowing steam for no reason whatso-ever?

C
=D> =D>

Low flying over water ....when did that become illegal ?
Your post should instantly be put in that other thread where it can be enjoyed over and over :mrgreen:

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”