Low flying again

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Ugly Duckling
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB

Re: Low flying again

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:12 pm

Play the ball, not the man [-X
Leave the personsl stuff for across the table
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
Float_flyer
Pre-take off checks
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread post by Float_flyer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:35 pm

Went for a stroll around noon on Blouberg beachfront Saturday and saw a beautiful yellow Long-Eze execute a left diving 180 turn at imho 60deg bank angle right in front of the beach turning back up the coastline towards Big Bay.

Must have been no higher than 300ft AGL when it did the dive turn, as it was below some of the 6-7 storey beachfront apartment blocks and probably leveled off at 50ft.

Looked amazing and it struck me the flight was totally within regs. Not over built up area, not over group of people as it was overhead the waves and not the beach, not within controlled airspace.

But if something could go wrong it would probably been safer to do a right hand turn off to the sea I guess
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle
Gandolf
Priming

Unread post by Gandolf » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:42 pm

Driving past Brakpan Benoni airfield at 10:45 this morning saw a Blue and Yellow Biplane and a White Gyro playing silly buggers. Appeared they were dog fighting at "I'll be generous " +- 300 ft. Appeared you were having great fun over the hangers and buildings at the airfield. Shoot ups steep turns. You placed other's lives and aircraft in danger. SHAME ON YOU.
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG

Unread post by jimdavis » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:58 pm

Gandolf wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:42 pm
Driving past Brakpan Benoni airfield at 10:45 this morning saw a Blue and Yellow Biplane and a White Gyro playing silly buggers. Appeared they were dog fighting at "I'll be generous " +- 300 ft. Appeared you were having great fun over the hangers and buildings at the airfield. Shoot ups steep turns. You placed other's lives and aircraft in danger. SHAME ON YOU.
I think that's called showing off. If folks really want to play Snoopy and the Red Baron it's best done at 3000' agl wearing parachutes.

jim
"So Others May Live", "PPL Manual", "Flight Tests", and "Flying in Africa" Volumes I & II. Look inside these books, and buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
rare bird
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by rare bird » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:53 pm

were they radio controlled?
Splat
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread post by Splat » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:13 pm

rare bird wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:53 pm
were they radio controlled?
They were drones camouflaged as a gyro and a bi plane :D :arrow: :^o :^o :^o
Rgds
George
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo

Unread post by Rotor kop » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:24 pm

I dont read this thread for obvious reasons, but just glancing at a single page makes me realize how many cry baby drama queens we have in this world #-o #-o seriously people....doing crazy stuff over houses is a no go i agree, but over airfields and grasslands... [-X [-X maybe its just a helicopter pilot thing from my side 8-[
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
Gandolf
Priming

Unread post by Gandolf » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:46 pm

I can agree over the runway and grass would be great. But they were not they doing the tricks over the hangers, apron and old clubhouse. Obviously never even heard of a crowd line at airshows. If you want to play silly buggers don't put other lives and aircraft at risk So I say again SHAME ON YOU.
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by jimdavis » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:08 pm

Rotor kop wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:24 pm
I dont read this thread for obvious reasons, but just glancing at a single page makes me realize how many cry baby drama queens we have in this world #-o #-o seriously people....doing crazy stuff over houses is a no go i agree, but over airfields and grasslands... [-X [-X maybe its just a helicopter pilot thing from my side 8-[
No no RK you are making me cry, and I thought you were my friend. :smt010 :cry:

jim
"So Others May Live", "PPL Manual", "Flight Tests", and "Flying in Africa" Volumes I & II. Look inside these books, and buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo

Unread post by Rotor kop » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:19 pm

jimdavis wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:08 pm
Rotor kop wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:24 pm
No no RK you are making me cry, and I thought you were my friend. :smt010 :cry:

jim
I am your friend Oom Jim :twisted: I just do not agree with some of the whining going on about apparrant low flying 8)
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
Gandolf
Priming

Unread post by Gandolf » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:23 pm

Sorry but there was nothing apparent about the low flying, it was very low, as my first post said I'll be generous and say 300 ft.
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread post by cage » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:44 am

Gandolf wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:23 pm
Sorry but there was nothing apparent about the low flying, it was very low, as my first post said I'll be generous and say 300 ft.
Not wanting to get into a right or wrong discussion, purely commenting on perception.
It is legal to fly low, 300ft may be lower than you fly or indeed like to fly but the question should be: was it legal to do so in that airspace and did it conform to the provisions the regs make?
Yes, the lower you go the fewer options and risk starts to increase, so, if you are very safety conscious you will disapprove, if not, you won't.
The other consideration is about reckless flying and performing "aerobatic" manoeuvres which would be prohibited in those types - this is, to paraphrase, about rapid and large changes in attitude.

Too often these posts are not about being illegal but rather cases of "I don't approve of someone doing that".
You will find a lot of rotary traffic around 300ft-ish in this neck of the woods, so where RK is probably coming from - 300ft isn't THAT low..
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by jimdavis » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:51 am

If what Gandolf posted is correct, and I have no reason to disbelieve him, then the flying was not only illegal - it was also dangerous and stupid.

Stop showing off, go up high, wear parachutes, and gain the respect of your fellow aviators. :D

Jim (AKA mother grundy, fun police, drama queen)
Dobbs
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Dobbs » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:05 am

And on his tombstone will probably read - and he was such a good pilot 😣
rare bird
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by rare bird » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:31 pm

what is the limit at FABB? (to keep out of Jan Smuts airspace)

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”