Piper Malibu, which went missing off Alderney in the Channel Islands had footballer Emiliano Sala on board

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

GRAHAMW
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAUL

Piper Malibu, which went missing off Alderney in the Channel Islands had footballer Emiliano Sala on board

Unread post by GRAHAMW » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:17 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-guernsey-46954922

@SkyNewsBreak

France's civil aviation authority has confirmed Cardiff City footballer Emiliano Sala was aboard a small passenger plane that went missing off the coast of Guernsey
Last edited by GRAHAMW on Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham Wallbridge

The secret to getting ahead is getting started - Mark Twain
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB

Re: Piper Malibu, which went missing off Alderney in the Channel Islands had footballer Emiliano Sala on board

Unread post by Iceberg » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:59 pm

The circumstances sound a lot like the John F Kennedy Saratoga accident.
At night over the ocean... :shock:
Last edited by Iceberg on Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
Wonko the Sane
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Re: Piper Malibu, which went missing off Alderney in the Channel Islands had footballer Emiliano Sala on board

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:07 pm

Iceberg wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:59 pm
The circumstances sound a lot like the John F Kennedy Malibu accident.
Interesting... Although articles quote a Piper Saratoga (JFK Jr.)...

What on these aircraft will be used at night only, and could cause malfunctions? Cabin lighting draining the electrical system? I'm not at all knowledgeable so excuse me if I am short on facts and information.

W
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux (temporarily in Angola...)
RPL (MR)
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB

Unread post by Iceberg » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:12 pm

Wonko the Sane wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:07 pm
Iceberg wrote:

What on these aircraft will be used at night only, and could cause malfunctions? Cabin lighting draining the electrical system? I'm not at all knowledgeable so excuse me if I am short on facts and information.

W
Kennedy's aircraft was a Saratoga as you mentioned.
The reason was spatial disorientation - dark night, no visible lights etc.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
Wonko the Sane
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:23 pm

Iceberg wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:12 pm
Wonko the Sane wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:07 pm
Iceberg wrote:

W
Kennedy's aircraft was a Saratoga as you mentioned.
The reason was spatial disorientation - dark night, no visible lights etc.
Let us hope for a better outcome to maybe shed some light(excuse the pun) on the situation...

W
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux (temporarily in Angola...)
RPL (MR)
Trooper
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FLKK

Unread post by Trooper » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:18 pm

From what I read, it was a Piper Malibu, taking a newly signed up football star to Cardiff. Weather not great, apparently asked for descent during the flight....and radar coverage lost near Albany...in otherwords not far from the French coast. Seems that parts of debris that COULD be an aircraft have been spotted.
Vaughan
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Peterborough Airport EGSF

Unread post by Vaughan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:17 pm

Last edited by Vaughan on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vaughan Russel-Smith
No Fly No More
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread post by No Fly No More » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:09 am

How damn stupid to fly across the sea in a single at night in poor weather???? They coulda had a few beers, a good night's kip and done the trip early in the morning. WTAF?
Bearcat
20,000 Leagues Above
20,000 Leagues Above
Closest Airfield: Grand Central

Unread post by Bearcat » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:08 am

Seems like Emiliano expressed some concerns about the plane before the flight.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... nd-me.html
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE

Unread post by Roger » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:30 am

That recording is interesting and one can hear one of two pitch changes in the engine, unless it is just the way a few recordings have been spliced together. The one pitch change is from what I can tell mid sentence.
If ever in doubt about flying - drink a beer.
That will give you at least 8 hours to think about it some more.
Antman
Joining unmanned airfield circuit
Closest Airfield: FARA

Unread post by Antman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:45 am

Very Sad!!

You spend 15 million Pounds on a player,your record signing, then charter a Malibu to ferry him to his new club, at night!!!
That makes no sense at all, surely a 2 crewed King Air or something similar would be minimum.

Someones going to have some explaining to do!
Wingnutter
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Chek Lap Kok VHHH

Unread post by Wingnutter » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Sounds like icing to me - only plausible thing that could explain why they asked for descent from 5000’ halfway across the channel, and the UK is currently experiencing icy conditions. Possibly couldn’t maintain altitude due airframe icing or decided to descend to try and get out of icing conditions.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.
Peterstuyvesant
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Heathrow

Unread post by Peterstuyvesant » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:30 pm

Looks like the registration is: N264DB*

Source: https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=220997

Caveat: * registration based on information from aviation forums; no official confirmation yet.
Burner
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB

Unread post by Burner » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:24 pm

Antman wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:45 am
Very Sad!!

You spend 15 million Pounds on a player,your record signing, then charter a Malibu to ferry him to his new club, at night!!!
That makes no sense at all, surely a 2 crewed King Air or something similar would be minimum.

I see the british press are saying that Cardiff City offered him a commercial flight, which he apparently turned down in favour of making his own travel plans. Very tragic.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"
Euro Flyer
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Country side grass strip

Unread post by Euro Flyer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:37 pm

Antman wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:45 am
Very Sad!!

Nantes to Cardiff was apparently the return leg, they'd earlier flown from Cardiff so he could have a final get together with his former team mates. I haven't dug out my charts to check but the channel crossing as per their routing has been quoted to have been about 100nm.

With the prospect of a 100nm sea crossing at that time of day and this time of year, and then (presumably) forced to descend to 2300' just off Alderney also very close to the French mainland, I think I would have turned around.

Sad.

EF

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”