Piper Malibu, which went missing off Alderney in the Channel Islands had footballer Emiliano Sala on board

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

abezzi
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Maun
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0

Re: Piper Malibu, which went missing off Alderney in the Channel Islands had footballer Emiliano Sala on board

Unread post by abezzi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:54 am

Zulu01 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:12 am
The press say the pilot took 3 attempts to take off ??
Witnesses reported that the pilot had to try 3 times before the engine started, of course the press teported as 3 try before take off...
Peterstuyvesant
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Heathrow
Has liked: 0

Re: Piper Malibu, which went missing off Alderney in the Channel Islands had footballer Emiliano Sala on board

Unread post by Peterstuyvesant » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:56 am

The search has been called off:

https://twitter.com/GuernseyPolice/stat ... 04/photo/1

"Unless there is a significant development, there will be no further updates"
Insane
Stressed Eric ain't got nothing on me
Closest Airfield: Nearest gravel strip
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Insane » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:15 am

jimdavis wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:04 pm
I suspect this might be another case of mission fixation. An important passenger who just has to get there!

I would always ask myself - would I do this flight if if I wasn't trying to please someone?

jim
I find it strange that an asset of this value would be allowed to cross the ocean in a piston single at any time, never mind at night! Surely cost would not have been an issue and an appropriate aircraft and crew could have been hired?
Never under estimate the power of a small group of stupid people!!
rb
Paying Landing Fees

Unread post by rb » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:40 pm

Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:15 am
jimdavis wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:04 pm
I suspect this might be another case of mission fixation. An important passenger who just has to get there!

I would always ask myself - would I do this flight if if I wasn't trying to please someone?

jim
I find it strange that an asset of this value would be allowed to cross the ocean in a piston single at any time, never mind at night! Surely cost would not have been an issue and an appropriate aircraft and crew could have been hired?
Agreed and wonder what the insurance implications are R465 bar just for the player and who knows how much per week to play ...gone ...very sad
Ugly Duckling
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 53 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:54 pm

Insane wrote:
He paid for his own charter. How the club allowed him to do so is also questionable.
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
Insane
Stressed Eric ain't got nothing on me
Closest Airfield: Nearest gravel strip
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Insane » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:27 pm

Ugly Duckling wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:54 pm
Insane wrote:
He paid for his own charter. How the club allowed him to do so is also questionable.
Agreed, I also wonder if his personal or Club insurance would not have set conditions for travel by air?
Never under estimate the power of a small group of stupid people!!
Aerodon
Rolling
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Aerodon » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:07 pm

Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:27 pm
Ugly Duckling wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:54 pm
Insane wrote:
Agreed, I also wonder if his personal or Club insurance would not have set conditions for travel by air?
More than likely. Seems like a convoluted connection between the agent and owner of the aircraft and then what amounts to a 'private charter'. Sounds like the Club offered to pay for a commercial flight but was told a charter had been arranged. I doubt the Club or Sala had any idea whether the 'charter' was a Citation or Malibu.

Once again, it's going to get messy. I was just reading on another site about a business owner who killed himself and his employee in a VFR into IFR conditions. His estate got locked for 5 years before his widow got a small amount back. And a new lawsuit from a girlfriend and son against the FAA for 'not warning' a pilot of high ground ahead. Pilot was known to fly IFR without a rating, was solid IFR on this flight, was told to maintain VFR and yet flew himself into a mountain.

Aerodon
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 122 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:14 pm

Sounds like a PPL, with no instrument rating, who dropped the aircraft when landing, then didn't get the start sequence right, and was planning to set off across the water at night into crap weather in a piston single.

Would YOU happily have sat in the back?

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 122 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:15 pm

Poor pax didn't know any better.

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
ticky
Power off Glide

Unread post by ticky » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:31 pm

Could be another Malibu in flight break up due to weather/turbulence.
Zulu01
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: KGSO
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by Zulu01 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:16 pm

abezzi wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:54 am
Zulu01 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:12 am
The press say the pilot took 3 attempts to take off ??
Witnesses reported that the pilot had to try 3 times before the engine started, of course the press teported as 3 try before take off...
Thanks for the correction. That’s very different.
Rick Cockcroft
Former GPL and instructor
PPL
RC Novice
dr727
ATC Delay
Closest Airfield: Nelspruit
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by dr727 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:10 am

N- registered, flying between France and England with a pilot who is the holder of a British license pilot license, hmm. Wonder about legalities and can hardy believe that this flight even took place. Passenger and his family and friends badly let down (no pun intended)
Christopher
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Christopher » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:04 pm

And how about this from former girlfriend:

<Victoria's Secret model Berenice Schkair..."For me this is all very strange. A plane can't disappear just like that"...>

Obviously she never heard about the missing Malaysian flight...this whole thing stinks, doesn't it? Scheduled flight or (turbine) charter would seem to have been more appropriate?
Christopher Godfrey (always missing aviation!)
southside
Straight and Level
Closest Airfield: around
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by southside » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:10 pm

Are the laws there the same as here in terms of part 135 SE Piston at night being illegal?
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by cage » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:56 pm

southside wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:10 pm
Are the laws there the same as here in terms of part 135 SE Piston at night being illegal?
The aircraft was an N reg, so I take it that yank rules apply.
From the sound of things there was no cost for the flight so if it was conducted as a part 91 flight would any rules apply anyway?
Having a rusty DJ/part time pilot doing the flying wasn't going to end well.

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”