Bushbaby Down at Petit - 2019-01-27

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Ugly Duckling
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB

Re: Bushbaby Down at Petit - 2019-01-27

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:00 pm

Extending the wheel tracks backwards it would appear that he came over the North South line of powerlines to the east of the field. Once down there was a fence ahead.
Options were limited.
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
Funflier
Tripped over wheel chock
Closest Airfield: FASD

Unread post by Funflier » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:18 am

Perhaps any pictures?
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo

Unread post by Ray W » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:06 pm

Does anybody have the registration
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill
Bundu
Priming
Closest Airfield: aeropark Zynkraal

Unread post by Bundu » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:04 pm

There was an investigation done today by myself ( Bundu Aviation - ULPower Dealer ) and Stefan ( Kitplanes for Africa) and the following conclusion and finding on the engine shutdown in flight. Master Switch ( Key Switch failure - intermittant contact ) and cut all power to the engine and fuel pumps. Wing was refueled and header tank filled. Engine and all connections checked , fuel system, software checks revelaed no power to ECU . No oil leaks, engine still full of oil ( did not leak out even inverted) Master Key switch on - Nothing. No power to pumps or ECU. Checked wiring and connections , all good and solid. Key swicth internally suspect. Identified the problem. Key Switch. After switch Identified as issue, engine started as usual. Pumps running. Conclusion. Faulty Master Key Switch / start switch ( Off On Start)
Dobbs
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Dobbs » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:24 pm

So was this the same problem the last time the same plane, and same engine resulted in an emergency landing?
Peregrine
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread post by Peregrine » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:30 pm

What is the failure rate of that key switch? :roll:
Bundu
Priming
Closest Airfield: aeropark Zynkraal

Unread post by Bundu » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:37 am

we now suspect the same switch was in failure mode but very intermittant. Switch lasted 270 hrs before issues and at that stage intermittant when amp load increased ( running both fuel pumps together) increased amp load on the switch. It is STRONGLY recommended to never run aircraft master power thru a switch but rather thru a master relay ( Cole Hershee type) , even in Carb engine aircraft. On the previous incident, ambient temps were in excess of 44 C and aircraft had been standing in the sun and fuel temps were suspected to be in excess of 50C and fuel perculation was suspected. LAA has many articles on flying MOGAS / ULP automotive fuels in high ambient temps and issue of fuel perculation and vapour lock. TPS was replaced as a precaution and sent for testing. TPS did not fail. Aircraft flew another 30 hrs after this incident with no issues until sunday when switch failed to the point of not intermittant. Once power was restored to engine and pumps yesterday, everything was in order again and engine software and sensors all were working again ( had power) and engine started normally again.

So lesson learnt is go thru master relay and not a switch for master power. ULPower also recommends since about 2011 to power ECU and pumps direct from battery and not thru any master bus after relays etc. ie, ECU and pumps on own circuit direct to battery with breakers as needed ( Specified) and Amp rated switches.
jasv@acweb.co.za
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Verginia Durban

Unread post by jasv@acweb.co.za » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:34 am

May I give my 2 bits as well?
Personally I am also scared of a relay as the solenoid of a relay is wined with very thin copper wire and they do fail more often than a switch.
What I will suggest that the master is going through a normal 10A dabble pole dabble through toggle switch and only the starter solenoid going through a key switch.
A key switch only have a sort of a slip ring on witch a pin contact is making contact with.
My plane do not have a key switch at all as the result of key switch failur.
Have a lock in older piston planes. they work in this way and for a reason. I do run the lights and non essentials through a relay, but not the engine electronics or mag switches.
If I am wrong with this Please tell me and why
Wasent Me
GERMAN
Reaching GFA

Unread post by GERMAN » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:58 am

Picture of the switch please
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park

Unread post by heisan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:30 am

Forget switches/relays... There should be a separate switch feeding from a separate (alternator and/or battery) bus...

NTCA or not, the CAA does not accept single bus avionics (without analog backup) - how can they accept a single bus FADEC?
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
jasv@acweb.co.za
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Verginia Durban

Unread post by jasv@acweb.co.za » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:39 am

https://images.homedepot-static.com/pro ... 4_1000.jpg
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ka ... es-the.png
You are 100% correct > the engine (electronics or electrical power) must be separate (is this the right word to use?) from the rest of the electronics.
Wasent Me
Flooi
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAHG

Unread post by Flooi » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:37 am

Bottom line....Good engine... faulty electrical installation....
Volo
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAOR

Unread post by Volo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:07 pm

Battery power to sustain an aircraft engine is a non - starter !! ( pun intended)
Mouser
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: King Shaka

Unread post by Mouser » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:05 pm

Was the switch a high quality item or possibly a knock off and was the life acceptable?
rare bird
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by rare bird » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:36 pm

jasv@acweb.co.za wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:39 am
https://images.homedepot-static.com/pro ... 4_1000.jpg
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ka ... es-the.png
You are 100% correct > the engine (electronics or electrical power) must be separate (is this the right word to use?) from the rest of the electronics.
just a word of caution on using AC switches on a DC system. (I noticed the picture of the switch you posted is AC rated)

basics / fundamentals of a switch :
1. it must carry the current (ie sufficient cross sectional area of all conducting components to handle the intended current, without heat rise)
2. it must break the arc (and prevent welding the contact / or build up of carbon & oxides on the contact surfaces) (this is where AC and DC designs differ significantly)
3. obviously there must be sufficient insulation to withstand the operating voltage
4 mechanical strength in all components to ensure lifespan
5 other features eg provision for lockout, covers / guards, dust ingress (IP rating) etc

rather use a DC switch with the correct voltage and current rating
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”