Jabiru beach emergency landing. Gamtoos area.

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Greylie
Taxiing
Closest Airfield: Grand Central
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Jabiru beach emergency landing. Gamtoos area.

Unread post by Greylie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:50 pm

Hi guys.

See this link:
https://www.nsri.org.za/2019/01/light-a ... the-beach/

Anybody that have some more info?

Safe on the groud. Hat of to the pilot. =D>

Just wondering if it was a fuel issue?

:)
:)
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 94 times

Re: Jabiru beach emergency landing.

Unread post by cage » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:55 pm

Abrie have you been visiting Jbay? ;)
Christo
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Christo » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:56 pm

So if it was fuel you still tipping your hat? :lol:
Due to the price increase in ammunition, do not expect a warning shot.

Sig Sauer, kinda like Glock except for men.
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: Jabiru beach emergency landing. Gamtoos area.

Unread post by Roger » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:05 pm

Think is the Plett based Jabiru. Local scuttlebutt is crank sheared. ZU-ESS, was that not the same aircraft damaged when those youths broke in and started it in the hangar?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
AJW
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FARB
Has liked: 2 times

Unread post by AJW » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:08 pm

cage wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:55 pm
Abrie have you been visiting Jbay? ;)
I'm innocent this time...
Be safe
Abrie
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand

Unread post by Roger » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:22 pm

Link to post regarding the hangar vandalism: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=188346
Jean Crous
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASX
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by Jean Crous » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:39 pm

Question is, was the crank replaced after the tiff with the hangar door ? If not then .........just wondering. Mind you a carbon fibre prop is not THAT hard that it could transmit much of a shock load to the crank. Also it is less damaging when the prop strike is at high RPM than at low RPM.
Jean.
Cubby Aircraft Factory
New front seat solo Cubby MK2
Powered by a Rotax 912 engine
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
antonvalks
Power on stall
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by antonvalks » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:29 pm

I am one of the partners and just had a long chat to the pilot, and yes it is the same aircraft that tried to escape from the hangar two years ago. Just to set a record straight: it was definitely not a fuel issue. The aircraft was almost full of fuel, having been filled for a flight to Margate but the pilot decided to return to Plett because of bad weather predictions. The engine started to lose power and was running very rough shortly after passing Gamtoos river mouth on the flight back from PE to Plett. The pilot couldn't get more than about 1000 rpm out of the engine but it wasn't a complete engine failure and the engine was still running up untill the prop strike on the beach. I suspect severe carb icing which I personally experienced a couple of years ago in Namibia when overflying the Edward Bolen ship wreck near the coast line. Carb heat at that stage was very ineffective and it took quite a while to get rid of the ice build-up.

I understood the weather today to have been ideal for carb icing. The pilot had no where else to go, couldn't keep the aircraft in the air and executed an almost perfect emergency landing on very soft sand on the beach between Jefferies Bay and Gamtoos river mouth. Unfortunately when the nose wheel eventually came down on the soft sand it dug in and the prop hit the sand and delaminated. I suspect this is when the crank broke. Both the pilot, who is in his last month of flying, and his wife is shocked, but unharmed. We are greatful for help and assistance given by the NSRI and Doug's engineering from PE who assisted with the recovery from the beach.

As can be seen from the pictures, the frame is undamaged. The engine will be removed and sent to the Jabiru factory in George for examination. By the way, after the hangar incident, the engine was completely rebuilt and amongst others, a new crank was fitted. The aircraft was flown regularly for the past two months and she never put a foot (or is that a wheel) wrong. Very sad to see our beloved little aircraft in such a state.
Ensure you give yourself enough time to enjoy the fruits of your labor...retire early!!!
Fat Frank
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKR

Unread post by Fat Frank » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:27 am

antonvalks wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:29 pm
I am one of the partners and just had a long chat to the pilot..............
Thank you. Hopefully this stops all the normal speculation.
It's in the fury of the battle
When the understanding comes
That the gunner is forever,
A partner with the guns.

"Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed..."
- Genesis 9:6
Johan7720
Rolling
Closest Airfield: ORTIA

Unread post by Johan7720 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:55 am

Text book example of how to stop any speculation in it's tracks
Christo
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Has liked: 3 times

Unread post by Christo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:24 am

Fat Frank wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:27 am
antonvalks wrote:
I am one of the partners and just had a long chat to the pilot..............
Thank you. Hopefully this stops all the normal speculation.
Nothing wrong with speculation, it's encouraged in fact
Due to the price increase in ammunition, do not expect a warning shot.

Sig Sauer, kinda like Glock except for men.
Shaunus
Finals (unmanned)
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Shaunus » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:34 am

Well done to the pilot, that's why you have insurance.

Which brings me to a question, would you risk it attempting to land nearer the waters edge on the harder sand, and hope you have enough time and man power to pull her out of the tides way, or would you just go for the soft stuff knowinng that you would most likely have a prop strike?

Also interested to hear about the recovery process!

Well done again =D> =D>
Privileged to have flown Cubby (ZU-CYB), Jabbie (ZU-JHF), Thunderbird (ZS-WPN, ZS-VWH), Samba XL (ZU-LAR), and C172 (ZS-JIM)
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 122 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:35 am

antonvalks wrote:
I am one of the partners and just had a long chat to the pilot, and yes it is the same aircraft that tried to escape from the hangar two years ago. Just to set a record straight: it was definitely not a fuel issue. The aircraft was almost full of fuel, having been filled for a flight to Margate but the pilot decided to return to Plett because of bad weather predictions. The engine started to lose power and was running very rough shortly after passing Gamtoos river mouth on the flight back from PE to Plett. The pilot couldn't get more than about 1000 rpm out of the engine but it wasn't a complete engine failure and the engine was still running up untill the prop strike on the beach. I suspect severe carb icing which I personally experienced a couple of years ago in Namibia when overflying the Edward Bolen ship wreck near the coast line. Carb heat at that stage was very ineffective and it took quite a while to get rid of the ice build-up.

I understood the weather today to have been ideal for carb icing. The pilot had no where else to go, couldn't keep the aircraft in the air and executed an almost perfect emergency landing on very soft sand on the beach between Jefferies Bay and Gamtoos river mouth. Unfortunately when the nose wheel eventually came down on the soft sand it dug in and the prop hit the sand and delaminated. I suspect this is when the crank broke. Both the pilot, who is in his last month of flying, and his wife is shocked, but unharmed. We are greatful for help and assistance given by the NSRI and Doug's engineering from PE who assisted with the recovery from the beach.

As can be seen from the pictures, the frame is undamaged. The engine will be removed and sent to the Jabiru factory in George for examination. By the way, after the hangar incident, the engine was completely rebuilt and amongst others, a new crank was fitted. The aircraft was flown regularly for the past two months and she never put a foot (or is that a wheel) wrong. Very sad to see our beloved little aircraft in such a state.
Thanks Anton for your comprehensive and clear explanation.

I find if very disturbing that the carb-heat seems to be a bit iffy on these aircraft. I wonder if this aspect is clearly drummed into folks during their conversions.

What often happens is that folks setup cruise rpm and trim the aircraft. A short while later they notice a loss of ALTITUDE not of RPM. So they increase power and trim up a bit to maintain altitude. Then after a few minutes this happens again. The pilot might suspect the throttle is creeping, so he again increases power and tightens the throttle friction nut. Eventually the penny drops and he puts on carb heat. With Lycomings the results are pretty instantaneous. But it sounds as if that's not always the case on a Jabby if you leave it too long.

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand

Unread post by Roger » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:08 am

Shaunus wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:34 am
Which brings me to a question, would you risk it attempting to land nearer the waters edge on the harder sand, and hope you have enough time and man power to pull her out of the tides way, or would you just go for the soft stuff knowinng that you would most likely have a prop strike?
Beach landings are a science of their own, and if the area not well known to the pilot will have unpredictable outcomes.

This stretch of beach between Van Staadens and Gamtoos, at low tide has wide stretch of hard sand between the low water and high water area. It is smoother than a tar runway. Landing at low tide you will have a fully intact aircraft and plenty of space to taxi up and away from an incoming tide.

Incoming high tide a different story. It would be like landing in a bowl of porridge.
Clinton01
ATC Delay
Closest Airfield: Krugersdorp
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by Clinton01 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:11 am

Why does the article about this beach landing on News24 end with the following? 'In June, two people were killed when a light aircraft crashed near Midrand, Johannesburg in a residential area. The victims were the pilot and a gardener.'

It's totally irrelevant to the story at hand - over 6 months ago, totally different plane and circumstances, and a very different result. I really get the impression that when News24 have nothing more to say, they just fill space to make articles longer. Maybe the journalist is paid per word or something.

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”