ZU-AFP emergency landing- Elandsrand. (Brits)

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Jean Crous
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASX
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Zu-AFP emergency landing- Elandsrand. (Brits)

Unread post by Jean Crous » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:03 am

happyskipper wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:09 pm
Has anyone stopped to think that the addition of a couple of jerricans of fuel was merely a precaution to ensure that legal minimum fuel requirements were met for his destination, after an unplanned forced landing?
It's called "Jumping to conclusions".
Even if fuel starvation WAS the reason for the forced landing, this could have been caused by a leaking fuel drain, burst fuel pipe, or any number of reasons not associated with bad fuel planning on the pilot's part.
Those were my thoughts as well SlappyHappyKipper, but I did not feel like being roasted for it at 7am :lol:
Jean
Cubby Aircraft Factory
New front seat solo Cubby MK2
Powered by a Rotax 912 engine
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
savas
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FABB
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by savas » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:19 am

This will be a very informative as well as an educational post, IF the PIC would kindly post his correct version seeing that it was a Text Book and successful lob.
Mikee
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: A grass strip
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Mikee » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:23 am

Might be that fuel was being drained to lighten the aircraft in order to minimize the risks of a marginal take run.. Unless there are pics out there that prove otherwise.
Multirotordronepilot
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Wintervogel
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 34 times

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:54 am

Jean Crous wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:03 am
happyskipper wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:09 pm
Has anyone stopped to think that the addition of a couple of jerricans of fuel was merely a precaution to ensure that legal minimum fuel requirements were met for his destination, after an unplanned forced landing?
It's called "Jumping to conclusions".
Even if fuel starvation WAS the reason for the forced landing, this could have been caused by a leaking fuel drain, burst fuel pipe, or any number of reasons not associated with bad fuel planning on the pilot's part.
Those were my thoughts as well SlappyHappyKipper, but I did not feel like being roasted for it at 7am :lol:
Jean
Jean for a plattelander you are extremely smart. Hats off for a good choice most likely before your first coffee =D>
Commercial pilot,Instructor,Responsible Person Aircraft
Grease monkeyVLOS/EVLOS/BVLOS operator
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
SpiderJets F16
BVM F80 ShootingStar
WorldModels 1/3Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Piper Cub replica under construction ZU-XXX
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by cage » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:10 am

jimdavis wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:23 pm
Harpy's Slipper you are right of course, and it's great to think the best of our fellow aviators, but... :D

jim
Jim, They appear to have come down not far from Brits airfield. Flying from Bapsfontein is not exactly a long trip, there should be no additional fuel required to either get to Brits (where fuel is available) or indeed back to Bapsfontein.
It could indeed be possible that something caused a leak, though you would hope that this is something the pilot could have noticed enroute and chosen to put down at any of the many alternatives along the way.
I am not familiar with this aircraft and how (if?) it would report low fuel and what warning that would provide, but it certainly is strange to come down approximately 4nm short of the destination.
It wouldn't be the first, nor the last, to try stretch the trip on vapour in the tank.
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: ZU-AFP emergency landing- Elandsrand. (Brits)

Unread post by Roger » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:44 am

Interesting that the manufacturer is still Cessna. How did it end up with a ZU? I am aware that there is no rule that NTCA have to be ZU as there are some NTCA as ZS, but never seen it the other way around with a TCA in the ZU range.

Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
WagAero
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by WagAero » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:50 am

Fuel issues go way beyond lack thereof or proper planning. Newbies will often advertise their experience by making brash claims about fuel management like it will never happen to them... and like any other issue its pure speculation if you don't know what the cause really was. I note your scepticism Jim, but.....tell us more :-) what do you know about this one. The cans certainly "add fuel to the.....:-)
Sea Rescue
1k poster
1k poster
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Sea Rescue » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:05 pm

Just to add "Fuel to the --- fire" like a poster was hesitant to do - my thoughts are that upon take-off the pilot did a pre-flight and "saw" enough fuel in the tanks. Fine. It was mentioned that he was an SAA pilot - good !! nothing wrong with that, except when an SAA aircraft reads "X" fuel left in the tanks then "X" fuel it normally is ??

Now on take off the fuel looked fine - after all he saw it - now suddenly, not too far from Brits the pilot checks and the "famous" Cessna fuel gauges are reading zilch !!!!! = and he catches a "spook" - can already hear the scraping noise in the bush when he runs out of fuel on short final and "crashes" it just short of the field ???

So he wisely decides to put it down while he could choose where - and rather top-up than be called a "fool" !!!

Well done "Captain" - I also found out Cessna built good Aircraft, but their fuel gauge vendor in those years still had a lot to learn !!

Continue to Fly Safe.
Flyman
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FALA FAGC

Unread post by Flyman » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:49 pm

With all the speculation about running out of "Avgas" he may well have had contaminated Avgas and Mogas.
Drained contaminated fuel and put in Avgas.

That makes sense
PRECHECK'S !!!!!!
Jan
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: COVES
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Jan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:37 pm

@ Roger - I know this AC well. Years ago Barry de Groot was called by a widow who showed him an AC in pieces that her late husband has been working on. Barry then purchased it and together with another friend Peter de Villiers did a complete rebuild. I am not sure now but think the previous owner had it registered ZU already. But how it stayed a C172D I do not know.

I used to own a rebuilt C150 registered ZU-CVA and it had a different name. 150 Special or something.
Flying is about discipline!
AP325, AMO 1256
Operating as RV Manufacturing
TikkaT3
Cows on Runway - doing go around
Closest Airfield: Potchefstroom

Unread post by TikkaT3 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:34 am

Obviously the cause hasn't been determined yet, but I'm curious to know what happens after a situation like this, God forbid I have to do it myself.

Lets say that he did run out of fuel, landed in the street and the home owner offered to take him to the petrol station. He filled up with mogas and zoomed off. Will the CAA launch an inquiry, or will they just leave it?

Then lets say for instance he had a low oil-pressure light illuminate and he elected to do a precautionary landing. On inspection on the ground he saw one of the wires on the sender was loose and when he tightened it, the low oil pressure light went off. Should he have waited for an AMO to come check? Will the CAA launch an inquiry / witch hunt against this poor guy because off he went without being signed off by AMO? If it's quiet an one ask people (no doubt a small crowd would have formed) to block the roads while you do your takeoff roll of do you have to have the police do it?

I guess what I'm basically asking, is that if it ever happens, is it better to wait it out and have heaps of paperwork and accusations etc, or if you obviously ran out of fuel, top her up and get the hell out of there..?
Cessna 182
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by cage » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:36 am

What are the legalities of taking off again from a suburban street?
NewGroundPounder
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: FAYP
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by NewGroundPounder » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:55 am

What are the legalities of taking off again from a suburban street?
As a spectator, it certainly would brighten up a normally dull day :mrgreen:
Jan
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: COVES
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Jan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:16 am

Cage as far as I know only a Com pilot is allowed to fly it out, and the owner is one.
Flying is about discipline!
AP325, AMO 1256
Operating as RV Manufacturing
BigglesSA
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by BigglesSA » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:18 am

TikkaT3 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:34 am
I guess what I'm basically asking, is that if it ever happens, is it better to wait it out and have heaps of paperwork and accusations etc, or if you obviously ran out of fuel, top her up and get the hell out of there..?
The way I understand it short and sweet:
If an "out" landing was performed due to ops not being normal you need to notify the CAA. If there was damage to the plane or injuries you need permission from CAA to move the plane. Injured may be removed. If there was no damage and the fault rectified you need a CPL to fly it out of that spot to an airfield after you notified the CAA.

May have changed but this is as I was told after my "out" landing in 2010.

AND if you land ops normal at a place not designated for takeoff and landing you are being naughty and are looking for <<moderated - language>> IMHO. Nê Koos?
Groetnis
Francois Gouws

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”