ZU-AFP emergency landing- Elandsrand. (Brits)

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
BigglesSA
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4348
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 4:09 pm
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: ZU-AFP emergency landing- Elandsrand. (Brits)

Unread post by BigglesSA » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:24 am

Jan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:16 am
Cage as far as I know only a Com pilot is allowed to fly it out, and the owner is one.
Double transmission sorry... :oops:
Groetnis
Francois Gouws
User avatar
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9593
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:34 pm
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Location: Inni skadu van n kameeldoringboom.
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: ZU-AFP emergency landing- Elandsrand. (Brits)

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:10 pm

BigglesSA wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:18 am
TikkaT3 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:34 am
I guess what I'm basically asking, is that if it ever happens, is it better to wait it out and have heaps of paperwork and accusations etc, or if you obviously ran out of fuel, top her up and get the hell out of there..?
The way I understand it short and sweet:
If an "out" landing was performed due to ops not being normal you need to notify the CAA. If there was damage to the plane or injuries you need permission from CAA to move the plane. Injured may be removed. If there was no damage and the fault rectified you need a CPL to fly it out of that spot to an airfield after you notified the CAA.

May have changed but this is as I was told after my "out" landing in 2010.

AND if you land ops normal at a place not designated for takeoff and landing you are being naughty and are looking for <<moderated - language>> IMHO. Nê Koos?
Hi Biggles.....there is a third option....more or less for light Zu's.....trailer it out. :wink: :D I would not say anything more here in the fair of being "investigated" by two countries CAA's. 8-[
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
User avatar
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9593
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:34 pm
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Location: Inni skadu van n kameeldoringboom.
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: ZU-AFP emergency landing- Elandsrand. (Brits)

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:12 pm

Roger wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:44 am
Interesting that the manufacturer is still Cessna. How did it end up with a ZU? I am aware that there is no rule that NTCA have to be ZU as there are some NTCA as ZS, but never seen it the other way around with a TCA in the ZU range.

So Roger why would my name be linked to this......or am I "always on your mind"?? :wink: :roll:
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
User avatar
AJW
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3577
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:54 pm
Closest Airfield: FARB
Location: FARB
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0

Re: ZU-AFP emergency landing- Elandsrand. (Brits)

Unread post by AJW » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:20 pm

Marius Schrenk wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:12 pm
Roger wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:44 am
Interesting that the manufacturer is still Cessna. How did it end up with a ZU? I am aware that there is no rule that NTCA have to be ZU as there are some NTCA as ZS, but never seen it the other way around with a TCA in the ZU range.

So Roger why would my name be linked to this......or am I "always on your mind"?? :wink: :roll:
:D :lol:
This is personal log in page..
It is my name!
Be safe
Abrie
User avatar
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9490
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 94 times

Re: ZU-AFP emergency landing- Elandsrand. (Brits)

Unread post by cage » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:24 pm

AJW wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:20 pm
Marius Schrenk wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:12 pm
Roger wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:44 am
Interesting that the manufacturer is still Cessna. How did it end up with a ZU? I am aware that there is no rule that NTCA have to be ZU as there are some NTCA as ZS, but never seen it the other way around with a TCA in the ZU range.

So Roger why would my name be linked to this......or am I "always on your mind"?? :wink: :roll:
:D :lol:
This is personal log in page..
It is my name!
Can't help but see my name on the top left there.. hmmmm :evil:
User avatar
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Posts: 7411
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:46 pm
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Location: Port Elizabeth
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: ZU-AFP emergency landing- Elandsrand. (Brits)

Unread post by Roger » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:24 pm

Marius Schrenk wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:12 pm
So Roger why would my name be linked to this......or am I "always on your mind"?? :wink: :roll:
You are definitely on my list of persons I still wish to meet, but not on my mind :lol:

If you referring to the name under the AvCom logo, in the aircraft info listing, as it is an AvCom system(Airporfolio), the logged in person will see their own name there. As in the screenshot, my name appears there when I am viewing, whereas yours will say Marius, Whirly's will say Whirly.... etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
User avatar
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9490
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 94 times

Re: ZU-AFP emergency landing- Elandsrand. (Brits)

Unread post by cage » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:28 pm

BigglesSA wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:24 am
Jan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:16 am
Cage as far as I know only a Com pilot is allowed to fly it out, and the owner is one.
Double transmission sorry... :oops:
I am trying to find those regs.
So I know if a student has an issue a comm pilot is needed to remove the aircraft.
regs show:
Landing on roads
91.06.1 No person shall use a public road as a place of landing or take-off in an aircraft, except—
(a) in the case of an emergency involving the safety of the aircraft or its occupants;
(b) for the purpose of saving human lives; or
(c) when involved in civil defence or law-enforcement operations: Provided that at all times reasonable care is taken for the safety of others with due regard to the prevailing circumstances.
Now the landing was an emergency but the take off wasn't.
Struggling to find the applicable text that would allow the take off (comm or otherwise) from an urban road.
With property nearby the risk to people and property is tangible so I would have believed it would have been necessary to truck it out.
User avatar
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 15477
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:46 am
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Location: Wilderness
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 122 times

Re: ZU-AFP emergency landing- Elandsrand. (Brits)

Unread post by jimdavis » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:46 pm

cage wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:28 pm
Now the landing was an emergency but the take off wasn't.
Struggling to find the applicable text that would allow the take off (comm or otherwise) from an urban road.
With property nearby the risk to people and property is tangible so I would have believed it would have been necessary to truck it out.
Or taxi it out.

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
User avatar
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2461
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:09 pm
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: ZU-AFP emergency landing- Elandsrand. (Brits)

Unread post by Iceberg » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:51 pm

jimdavis wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:46 pm
cage wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:28 pm
Now the landing was an emergency but the take off wasn't.
Struggling to find the applicable text that would allow the take off (comm or otherwise) from an urban road.
With property nearby the risk to people and property is tangible so I would have believed it would have been necessary to truck it out.
Or taxi it out.

jim
Taxiing in a suburb? With kids playing about, things to snag the wings on, vehicles not expecting to see a plane etc. maybe not such a good idea. I remember your story of taxing 30km - but that was on a rural road with your own blue light brigade.. :)
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
User avatar
Wonko the Sane
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3892
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Location: Centurion/Luanda
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: ZU-AFP emergency landing- Elandsrand. (Brits)

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:55 pm

Roger wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:24 pm
Marius Schrenk wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:12 pm
So Roger why would my name be linked to this......or am I "always on your mind"?? :wink: :roll:
You are definitely on my list of persons I still wish to meet, but not on my mind :lol:

If you referring to the name under the AvCom logo, in the aircraft info listing, as it is an AvCom system(Airporfolio), the logged in person will see their own name there. As in the screenshot, my name appears there when I am viewing, whereas yours will say Marius, Whirly's will say Whirly.... etc.
Ha! I thought you are logging on as one of the others, to cause trouble....


W
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux (temporarily in Angola...)
RPL (MR)
User avatar
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5261
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:45 pm
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: ZU-AFP emergency landing- Elandsrand. (Brits)

Unread post by heisan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:55 pm

cage wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:28 pm
I am trying to find those regs.
So I know if a student has an issue a comm pilot is needed to remove the aircraft.
regs show:
Landing on roads
91.06.1 No person shall use a public road as a place of landing or take-off in an aircraft, except—
(a) in the case of an emergency involving the safety of the aircraft or its occupants;
(b) for the purpose of saving human lives; or
(c) when involved in civil defence or law-enforcement operations: Provided that at all times reasonable care is taken for the safety of others with due regard to the prevailing circumstances.
Now the landing was an emergency but the take off wasn't.
Struggling to find the applicable text that would allow the take off (comm or otherwise) from an urban road.
With property nearby the risk to people and property is tangible so I would have believed it would have been necessary to truck it out.
IIRC, the CPL thing comes in if an SPL does a forced or precautionary landing.

Take-off from a road after an emergency requires permission from the director, who will approve a specific pilot for the job. This can be a non-CPL owner, if the director considers their experience to be sufficient.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
TikkaT3
Cows on Runway - doing go around
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:30 pm
Closest Airfield: Potchefstroom
Location: In the clouds
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: ZU-AFP emergency landing- Elandsrand. (Brits)

Unread post by TikkaT3 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:11 pm

cage wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:28 pm
BigglesSA wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:24 am
Jan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:16 am
Cage as far as I know only a Com pilot is allowed to fly it out, and the owner is one.
Double transmission sorry... :oops:
I am trying to find those regs.
So I know if a student has an issue a comm pilot is needed to remove the aircraft.
regs show:
Landing on roads
91.06.1 No person shall use a public road as a place of landing or take-off in an aircraft, except—
(a) in the case of an emergency involving the safety of the aircraft or its occupants;
(b) for the purpose of saving human lives; or
(c) when involved in civil defence or law-enforcement operations: Provided that at all times reasonable care is taken for the safety of others with due regard to the prevailing circumstances.
Now the landing was an emergency but the take off wasn't.
Struggling to find the applicable text that would allow the take off (comm or otherwise) from an urban road.
With property nearby the risk to people and property is tangible so I would have believed it would have been necessary to truck it out.
Agree, and surely an AMO needs to check it out... I mean lets say the pilot isn't technically inclined, has a look in the tanks they look empty, he diagnoses the lack of fuel as the cause but perhaps there is still some fuel and the problem was an intermittent mechanical issue?
Cessna 182
User avatar
Ryan Beeton
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1483
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:53 pm
Closest Airfield: FALA
Location: Jhb
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: ZU-AFP emergency landing- Elandsrand. (Brits)

Unread post by Ryan Beeton » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:45 pm

Well done Thys - whatever the reason, great outcome.
Carpe Diem

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”