Disgusting behaviour by Instructors

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

dale
Power on stall
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 6:25 pm
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Location: Krugersdorp
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 12 times

Disgusting behaviour by Instructors

Unread post by dale » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:32 pm

I was absolutely disgusted by the behaviour of two instructors, Damion & Nickol this morning.
They were flying out of FAGC at around 11:30 local time. Each with a student.
Openly chatting each other up on 125,8 (The special rules West frequency)
1) You should be concentrating on your paying student and traffic around you
2) Every time you talk, every other student on that frequency is distracted
3) Any other instructor busy talking to his student has to wait for you to finish
4) You are setting a very bad example to your and all other students
5) The frequency is cluttered enough as it is
6) You should not charge your student one cent for that flight.

I would very much like to hear what your CFI has to say about this?
Where did you get your instructors rating? Did you never learn anything about AIRMANSHIP?
These users liked the author dale for the post (total 8):
ledzheinrichjimdavisnomieRoger BozzoliFranswUgly Ducklingpieter@atech.co.za
User avatar
Christo
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Posts: 7629
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:01 am
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Disgusting behaviour by Instructors

Unread post by Christo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:34 pm

oh look at me, I'm cool, I have raybans, I sound awesome talking on the radio syndrome
Due to the price increase in ammunition, do not expect a warning shot.

Sig Sauer, kinda like Glock except for men.
User avatar
Burner
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3869
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:21 pm
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Location: Milan and Algeria
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 18 times

Re: Disgusting behaviour by Instructors

Unread post by Burner » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:11 pm

Why not contact the CFI directly, instead of making Avcom your first port of call?

I agree with all that you have said, but am not sure that the best course of action is straight to naming and shaming.
These users liked the author Burner for the post (total 8):
Larry vd MerwedriftwoodScrapyard DogJean CrousMGRInsaneEDPpiri
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"
User avatar
Chuck
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:08 pm
Closest Airfield: FLKK
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Disgusting behaviour by Instructors

Unread post by Chuck » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:15 pm

Christo wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:34 pm
oh look at me, I'm cool, I have raybans, I sound awesome talking on the radio syndrome
Oh look at me, I'm feeling offended, I have a cellphone, I am going to put an anonymous potentially damaging unsubstantiated claim on a social network syndrome.

[-(
'What we find on internet, we readily believe, and what we ourselves find, we imagine others find also.'
Julius Ceasar, 44 BC

Your warning level: [1]

http://www.chickenwingscomics.com/comic ... cw0466.jpg
JSB
ATC Delay
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:31 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: Sandton
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Disgusting behaviour by Instructors

Unread post by JSB » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:26 pm

dale wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:32 pm
I was absolutely disgusted by the behaviour of two instructors, Damion & Nickol this morning.
They were flying out of FAGC at around 11:30 local time. Each with a student.
Openly chatting each other up on 125,8 (The special rules West frequency)
1) You should be concentrating on your paying student and traffic around you
2) Every time you talk, every other student on that frequency is distracted
3) Any other instructor busy talking to his student has to wait for you to finish
4) You are setting a very bad example to your and all other students
5) The frequency is cluttered enough as it is
6) You should not charge your student one cent for that flight.

I would very much like to hear what your CFI has to say about this?
Where did you get your instructors rating? Did you never learn anything about AIRMANSHIP?
I assume your 3 questions above are rhetorical? Because you are certainly not going to get an answer to them on this forum, or anywhere.

But maybe you feel better?
User avatar
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9392
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 44 times

Re: Disgusting behaviour by Instructors

Unread post by cage » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:45 pm

Chuck wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:15 pm
Christo wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:34 pm
oh look at me, I'm cool, I have raybans, I sound awesome talking on the radio syndrome
Oh look at me, I'm feeling offended, I have a cellphone, I am going to put an anonymous potentially damaging unsubstantiated claim on a social network syndrome.

[-(
It's social media validation syndrome. It would be easy to pick up the phone and have a polite word, that would be constructive and would hopefully result in some positive action.
Rants achieve little but watch all those "likes" stack up - everyone will sleep well tonight having done their little bit and knowing they were right.
These users liked the author cage for the post (total 4):
ChuckIncherMGRTripleC
dale
Power on stall
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 6:25 pm
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Location: Krugersdorp
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Disgusting behaviour by Instructors

Unread post by dale » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:51 pm

Burner wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:11 pm
Why not contact the CFI directly, instead of making Avcom your first port of call?

I agree with all that you have said, but am not sure that the best course of action is straight to naming and shaming.
There are several Flying schools at FACG. Which one?
User avatar
Burner
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3869
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:21 pm
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Location: Milan and Algeria
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 18 times

Re: Disgusting behaviour by Instructors

Unread post by Burner » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:53 pm

dale wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:51 pm
Burner wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:11 pm
Why not contact the CFI directly, instead of making Avcom your first port of call?

I agree with all that you have said, but am not sure that the best course of action is straight to naming and shaming.
There are several Flying schools at FACG. Which one?
The one that has one or both instructors with those first names?
Last edited by Burner on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"
dale
Power on stall
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 6:25 pm
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Location: Krugersdorp
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Disgusting behaviour by Instructors

Unread post by dale » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:54 pm

cage wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:45 pm
Chuck wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:15 pm
Christo wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:34 pm
oh look at me, I'm cool, I have raybans, I sound awesome talking on the radio syndrome
Oh look at me, I'm feeling offended, I have a cellphone, I am going to put an anonymous potentially damaging unsubstantiated claim on a social network syndrome.

[-(
It's social media validation syndrome. It would be easy to pick up the phone and have a polite word, that would be constructive and would hopefully result in some positive action.
Rants achieve little but watch all those "likes" stack up - everyone will sleep well tonight having done their little bit and knowing they were right.
Could you supply me with a phone number please?
User avatar
Chuck
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:08 pm
Closest Airfield: FLKK
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Disgusting behaviour by Instructors

Unread post by Chuck » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:58 pm

cage wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:45 pm
Chuck wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:15 pm
Christo wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:34 pm
oh look at me, I'm cool, I have raybans, I sound awesome talking on the radio syndrome
Oh look at me, I'm feeling offended, I have a cellphone, I am going to put an anonymous potentially damaging unsubstantiated claim on a social network syndrome.

[-(
It's social media validation syndrome. It would be easy to pick up the phone and have a polite word, that would be constructive and would hopefully result in some positive action.
Rants achieve little but watch all those "likes" stack up - everyone will sleep well tonight having done their little bit and knowing they were right.
Spot on Cage, I don't doubt the guys were unprofessional on the radio, but there are a myriad of ways to address this more constructively, including a opening a topic here on AVCOM addressing needless chatter on 125.8. Heck there probably is one somewhere in the archives already.
'What we find on internet, we readily believe, and what we ourselves find, we imagine others find also.'
Julius Ceasar, 44 BC

Your warning level: [1]

http://www.chickenwingscomics.com/comic ... cw0466.jpg
User avatar
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9392
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 44 times

Re: Disgusting behaviour by Instructors

Unread post by cage » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:58 pm

dale wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:54 pm
Could you supply me with a phone number please?
Do you have the registrations?
If not, a better way might have been to ask if anyone may know the school or contact info.
Call the tower and ask who departed around then 011 315 3534 or check online at https://www.grandcentral.co.za/operators.cfm#2 (click flight schools, there aren't that many).
User avatar
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 11397
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:25 pm
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Location: Mpumalanga
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Disgusting behaviour by Instructors

Unread post by Whirly » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:10 pm

On the other side it is good that it was mentioned here, will make others think twice before doing the same. :roll:

Whirly.
These users liked the author Whirly for the post (total 13):
Jack WellesUgly DucklingNeojimdavisJean CrousnomieSTEELhenkhugoCornell BlokInsaneFranswTripleCRETAILER
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
User avatar
Multirotordronepilot
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1015
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:12 am
Closest Airfield: Wintervogel
Location: Home
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Disgusting behaviour by Instructors

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:24 pm

Whirly wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:10 pm
On the other side it is good that it was mentioned here, will make others think twice before doing the same. :roll:

Whirly.
I agree 100 with Whirly and completely against what the peanut gallery has to say above. I'm sure Dale's intentions were to highlight the issue at large and not the two instructors ( if you going to point out they were named then you suffer from myopia ) if you are an instructor reading this guilty or not you will change you behavior and that the bottom line.

It happens all over and its always the commercial operation inside of uncontrolled airspace who think they have the right to bend the rules.

Thanks Dale for bringing attention to the issue. =D>
These users liked the author Multirotordronepilot for the post (total 3):
jimdavisStevecoenvanwyk
Commercial pilot,Instructor,Responsible Person Aircraft
Grease monkeyVLOS/EVLOS/BVLOS operator
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
SpiderJets F16
BVM F80 ShootingStar
WorldModels 1/3Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Piper Cub replica under construction ZU-XXX
User avatar
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1537
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:17 pm
Closest Airfield: EGSX
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Disgusting behaviour by Instructors

Unread post by heinrich » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:29 pm

This TOPIC has been opened here many times in the past. IMO - clearly with nothing positive coming out of it.

I'm all for Dale's method, as there's a good chance these guys are lurking here, and will hopefully take notice. If they're not on here, (avcom is obviously not the be all and end all), then it'll make others think twice about doing this nonsense, as Whirly already said.
“If you are looking for perfect safety, you will do well to sit on a fence and watch the birds; but if you really wish to learn, you must mount a machine and become acquainted with its tricks by actual trial.”

Wilbur Wright
User avatar
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9392
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 44 times

Re: Disgusting behaviour by Instructors

Unread post by cage » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:33 pm

heinrich wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:29 pm
.. as Whirly already said.
Whirly's use of emojis has been whizzing over heads recently, like a T28 in Guatemala.
I have a moderate-to-high degree of confidence that he was being sarcastic.
These users liked the author cage for the post:
Skinny

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”