Disgusting behaviour by Instructors

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 44 times

Re: Disgusting behaviour by Instructors

Unread post by cage » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:50 am

jimdavis wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:27 am

1. Endangering air traffic.
2. Instructors bringing their profession into disrepute.
It is sometimes difficult to keep track of conflicting points of view and arguments.
We have had similar people being vitriolic about RT who in other safety posts have said it's see and avoid and RT is optional - so which is it?
People get upset with caustic content when it disagrees, but then become caustic because they are "passionate" about the topic.

wrt point 2 - let's use the word allegedly.

At no point has anyone condoned the behaviour but I have raised the question about who has not (as irresponsible as it may be) erred with RT? (this style of debate has also been used by members in other threads to suit their point, so why not here?)
When it comes to perspective, it is not making it out like the world is about to end and that the non-conformists should be shot in front of the family.
Educate, mentor, be constructive - thumbs up.
Shouting fire and brimstone from the pulpit isn't going to change hearts and minds but will get plenty of thumbs up from the congregation.
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 69 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:54 am

:roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
V5 - LEO
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:06 am

cage wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:50 am
jimdavis wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:27 am

1. Endangering air traffic.
2. Instructors bringing their profession into disrepute.
It is sometimes difficult to keep track of conflicting points of view and arguments.
We have had similar people being vitriolic about RT who in other safety posts have said it's see and avoid and RT is optional - so which is it?
People get upset with caustic content when it disagrees, but then become caustic because they are "passionate" about the topic.

wrt point 2 - let's use the word allegedly.

At no point has anyone condoned the behaviour but I have raised the question about who has not (as irresponsible as it may be) erred with RT? (this style of debate has also been used by members in other threads to suit their point, so why not here?)
When it comes to perspective, it is not making it out like the world is about to end and that the non-conformists should be shot in front of the family.
Educate, mentor, be constructive - thumbs up.
Shouting fire and brimstone from the pulpit isn't going to change hearts and minds but will get plenty of thumbs up from the congregation.
....cage I hear you, but , I reckon there is at least 200 pilots on this forum and if this behaviour is highlighted by the op and emphasis on RT work is practised and sharpened up by only these 20p, it will add to a more "clear airwaves" environment to operate in, especially congested areas. And lets be frank, the youth of today grew up way different than we used to and sometimes need a brutal reality check to put them in place. If my name were to be mentioned in a post like this, I will make bloody sure to become a star example of how not to do it, maybe it is just me not liking to klap my name with a big stick.
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Been liked: 44 times

Unread post by cage » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:16 am

V5 - LEO wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:06 am
And lets be frank, the youth of today grew up way different than we used to and sometimes need a brutal reality check to put them in place. If my name were to be mentioned in a post like this, I will make bloody sure to become a star example of how not to do it, maybe it is just me not liking to klap my name with a big stick.
ok Frank ;)
Much of the "wrongdoing" you hear on the airwaves are ou-manne so let's not just blame the youth of today.
They certainly didn't teach the country cousins.
It is a broad issue of which two lighties are but a pimple.
Far too many doth protest too much, they have done the same yet have polished the halo to a bright shine.

What have we learned from this thread?
Nothing, except two young okes need to be publicly shamed, hung, drawn and quartered.
Problem solved, everyone feels better now don't they.
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by jimdavis » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:29 am

cage wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:16 am
What have we learned from this thread?
Nothing, except two young okes need to be publicly shamed, hung, drawn and quartered.
Problem solved, everyone feels better now don't they.
I suspect that the more perceptive of those who want to learn on Academy, will have learned at least three things:

1. Don't play silly-muggers on the radio - it is a very public space
2. Cluttering up the frequency is potentially dangerous.
3. Professional pilots should set an example by being professional all the time.

jim
These users liked the author jimdavis for the post (total 2):
Peteruyscoenvanwyk
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Swartbok
Helicopter getting close
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by Swartbok » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:17 pm

Don’t worry Jim
There’s always a first year junior who believes he should challenge all and every experience at every turn, backed up by Objective perplexsion, because as a such he doesn’t quite know what he doesn’t know. Like a perfect computer that knows the meaning of life. n Gatvlieg, we call it.

Every post has has to become an argument about why it was posted, and how “I would handle it better”. And turns into pages and pages of rubbish, detracting from the original post.
Because Junior’s Objectivity just has to be right. :roll: :roll:

Best way is to ignore that irritating gatvlieg because daddy will insure his ill discipline and constant disrespect.

I know I know. Banned for life.
These users liked the author Swartbok for the post (total 4):
jimdavisUgly DucklingZiggiCornell Blok
Flying is like sex. I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I could stand.
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by jimdavis » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:32 pm

Swartbok wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:17 pm
Don’t worry Jim
There’s always a first year junior who believes he should challenge all and every experience at every turn, backed up by Objective perplexsion, because as a such he doesn’t quite know what he doesn’t know. Like a perfect computer that knows the meaning of life. n Gatvlieg, we call it.

Every post has has to become an argument about why it was posted, and how “I would handle it better”. And turns into pages and pages of rubbish, detracting from the original post.
Because Junior’s Objectivity just has to be right. :roll: :roll:

Best way is to ignore that irritating gatvlieg because daddy will insure his ill discipline and constant disrespect.

I know I know. Banned for life.
Ha ha ha, indeed! =D> =D> =D> :lol: :lol: :lol:

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Jack Welles
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by Jack Welles » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:36 pm

A story. It is relevant to the topic. A traditional Business School "meme" is how a Board of Directors took 10 minutes to decide to go ahead on the building of a new power station worth $100 million and 3 hours to discuss putting up a bicycle shed for the employees worth $10k. The rationale is because the directors really didn't "get it" about power stations but they could all "understand" bicycle sheds.

There is so much being said about "professionalism" etc in this thread and how newbies have to learn, that the relevant activity was "disgusting", the youth of today are undisciplined, etc etc etc, and yet over in the "SAA pilot with fraudulent licence" thread it's all about oozing forgiveness, sympathy - hell! maybe even a freebie ATPL - for allegedly being a cheat, a liar and a criminal.

Makes you think, doesn't it?
These users liked the author Jack Welles for the post:
rudolphschar
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by Whirly » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:43 pm

Jack Welles wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:36 pm
A story. It is relevant to the topic. A traditional Business School "meme" is how a Board of Directors took 10 minutes to decide to go ahead on the building of a new power station worth $100 million and 3 hours to discuss putting up a bicycle shed for the employees worth $10k. The rationale is because the directors really didn't "get it" about power stations but they could all "understand" bicycle sheds.

There is so much being said about "professionalism" etc in this thread and how newbies have to learn, that the relevant activity was "disgusting", the youth of today are undisciplined, etc etc etc, and yet over in the "SAA pilot with fraudulent licence" thread it's all about oozing forgiveness, sympathy - hell! maybe even a freebie ATPL - for allegedly being a cheat, a liar and a criminal.

Jack,

I see both you and cage assume the people that took these instructors to task are the exact same ones condoning the SAA Pilot's actions. If indeed so, then you are right. But I think not.

Whirly.
P.S. Notice, ......................no emoticon to confuse cage.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by jimdavis » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:45 pm

Jack Welles wrote:

Eddie, you keep repeating this. We have got it - really! :lol:

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by jimdavis » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:47 pm

Whirly wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:43 pm
Jack Welles wrote:

Jack,

I see both you and cage assume the people that took these instructors to task are the exact same ones condoning the SAA Pilot's actions. If indeed so, then you are right. But I think not.

Whirly.
P.S. Notice, ......................no emoticon to confuse cage.
I don't think anyone has condoned Chandlers actions. I feel sorry for the guy - but he is responsible for his actions and must take the punishment.

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Jack Welles
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Jack Welles » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:48 pm

Whirly wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:43 pm
Jack Welles wrote:

I see both you and cage assume the people that took these instructors to task are the exact same ones condoning the SAA Pilot's actions. If indeed so, then you are right. But I think not. Whirly.
It's not everyone or no-one, so indeed yes in some cases :smt045

If a post oozing sympathy and understanding and also suggests a free ATPL is appropriate and someone "likes" that post they are associating themselves with the sentiments therein. If that same person is all for nailing the hides of the RT villians to the wall (metaphorically speaking) then QED.
Eddie Haynes-Smart
BvW
Rolling
Closest Airfield: FACT FASH
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by BvW » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:57 pm

As mentioned on first page - catching up on personal life has no place in an AC with a student. The instructors' lowest standard will become the students highest.
These users liked the author BvW for the post (total 5):
jimdavisledzAquariusPeteruysSwartbok
Jer. 29:11
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by jimdavis » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:12 pm

BvW wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:57 pm
As mentioned on first page - catching up on personal life has no place in an AC with a student. The instructors' lowest standard will become the students highest.
Very neatly put BvW. =D> =D> =D>

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Jack Welles
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Jack Welles » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:17 pm

jimdavis wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:45 pm
Jack Welles wrote:

Eddie, you keep repeating this. We have got it - really! :lol: jim
:D By now, one would think so, wouldn't one? And then up pops another really uninformed opinion on the subject #-o

And then it's like a trumpet to an old warhorse, as a defender of logic and the Rule of Law, I feel compelled to disabuse the miscreant of his or her fatally erroneous notions. To that I must plead mea culpa ... :lol:
These users liked the author Jack Welles for the post:
force5
Eddie Haynes-Smart

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”