Beech Duke crash - Fullerton

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

KingOfBotswana
Post Take off checks
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Beech Duke crash - Fullerton

Unread post by KingOfBotswana » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:47 pm

All said and done, the pilot over rotated, panicked and VMCA'd. He should've closed both throttles and landed ahead end of story.Will always be a better outcome than this. My 2 cents. God knows why piston twin drivers take intersection takeoffs, these machines cannot perform in the heat or loaded. Runway is free. Use as much as you can.
These users liked the author KingOfBotswana for the post:
Chuck
HJK 414
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: EHTW
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 161 times

Unread post by HJK 414 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:25 am

KingOfBotswana wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:47 pm
All said and done, the pilot over rotated, panicked and VMCA'd. He should've closed both throttles and landed ahead end of story.Will always be a better outcome than this. My 2 cents. God knows why piston twin drivers take intersection takeoffs, these machines cannot perform in the heat or loaded. Runway is free. Use as much as you can.

KoB,

He was on 24 / and came out of the run-up bay - so he used the full Runway.
I am familiar with Fullerton Municipal and although I agree that at the first sign of trouble he should have closed both taps - the situation at Fullerton - especially in a Duke would be a tough one.

At his rotation point - he would have had 200 to 300 ft of Runway left - and then the fence - Dale street and a factory ahead …..
"stopping yourself by inserting the aircraft into a factory wall sort of loses appeal quite fast" …... :wink:
If the engine "coughed" at rotation - he was in a difficult spot.

Taking off from Fullerton, on 24 - it is advise-able to get to some altitude as fast as possible (built up all around) ….. and you have 2 runways very close if you can not make the circuit. Long Beach and the Military strip (almost on runway heading once you are off 24....).

Sad event.

JK
The wisest mind has something yet to learn. ...
Aerodon
Rolling
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Aerodon » Thu May 02, 2019 5:28 am

Same pilot, from BT:

"Hey BT community, It was I that crashed. I love that 56 TC. We consider our family blessed, protected and lucky to be here. What happened was we landed @ 18V to fuel up on a cross country flight from L35 to KDSM. After fueling, I went to run up and file and brief or flight plan. I reached over my son and latched the door. Everything was ready and non eventful. We taxied onto runway 15. Set Mixtures half way, half throttle to let turbos spool up together, then mixtures full rich, fuel pumps on and applied throttle until 35inches even both sides, released breaks and slowly advanced to 41.5". Everything was great we reached 85 knots rotation speed and rotated for liftoff...pop! Open flew the door to full open, my son tried to slam door shut but while I was directing him to stop as he would never be able to shut door, to just hold as closed as possible. We were climbing full fuel full people and luggage within CG and 73lbs shy of gross. About 700 feet per-minute pulling hard left. I told every one to stay calm, we would just circle to land and shut door. The baron was barely able to maintain105 kts (blue line) but it was flying with left pull. Down wind, base first notch flaps, airspeed started to drop slightly. I rolled out final just right of runway to compensate tor the left pull. After full flaps down, aligned with runway, right rudder to maintain nose on runway center, my airspeed was dropping so I applied more power which I thought I had runway made when 150 feet above runway, I lost rudder authority and simultaneously pitched nose up losing sight of runway while left wing rolled down striking runway and off into the dirt, hitting taxiway asphalt jumping the plane up to land belly down right wing forward ripping off right main and crumpling left main and nose gear. We slid sideways and backwards with cabin filling with dirt. Left engine brace broke tearing cowling. The neighbors ran to us screaming get out fuel leaking. My 13 yr old couldn't open baggage door, so he kicked it open and got himself and younger brother out. None of us were hurt, but the plane not so lucky."
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 237 times
Been liked: 240 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Thu May 02, 2019 8:13 am

Very interesting. slightly off topic, bit I had a door pop open on a Bonanza just after takeoff from a riverbed in the Northern Cape. It made the aircraft almost unflyable. Others have has the same experience and found it a non-event. Obviously different models.

Don't remember exactly which Bonnie it was except that it was a 4 seater V tail belonging to de Beers.

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
Christopher
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Christopher » Thu May 02, 2019 11:26 pm

As Jim says: off-topic, but interesting -- and <irrelevant> here, since there is no cockpit door in a Duke. (Yes, I, too, have been naughty and experienced a PA.32 door pop open after TO -- naughty, because I obviously did not check it adequately -- but in that aircraft it was a non-event -- except for the appalling noise!)
Christopher Godfrey (always missing aviation!)
Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by Pete » Fri May 03, 2019 5:33 am

I had a door pop open in my Bonanza 33 on rotation, gave me a bit of a skrik for a second but other than the wind noise had absolutely no effect on the handling of the aircraft.
My mate sitting in the R/H seat (also a pilot) tried to close the door in flight that had only opened an inch or two and was trailing in the slipstream, to no avail.
Briefed pax that we were returning to land, carried out a standard circuit and landed without any issue.

Door properly latched this time, lesson learnt and we were on our way again albeit a little quieter. :)
highline
Straight and Level
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by highline » Fri May 03, 2019 9:05 am

I remember back in the early 2000's in KZN when a Baron door popped open in the circuit at Ulundi and the headlines in the news were. "Minister dives forward to the aid of his security person to prevent him from being sucked out of the door. Again pure sensational reporting. They landed safely with no issues other than maybe a bit of cleaning up of the seats. :lol: :lol:
Opening co-pilot door on the Bonanza and Baron is a total non event and will only go open about 1 inch. For those who have not experienced it try opening your car door at 120kms and see what happens.
high fly
Vogoff
ATC Delay
Closest Airfield: FASY
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Vogoff » Thu May 09, 2019 3:34 pm

Happened to me last year in the Mooney. Door was properly closed but what I did not realise is my passenger had got his shirt stuck in the door. When he shifted in his seat half an hour into the flight, he pulled on his shirt which popped the door open.

Throttled back and dropped flaps. Door closed easily at 80Mph. Open throttle, raise flaps and we were back on our way.

Fortunately nothing decided to fall out the open door. Wouldn't be too keen on finding out what an iPad can do to the horizontal stabiliser at 140mph...
Matthew French
ZS-DWU Mooney M20C

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”