Air Zim emergency out of ORT

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Mouser
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: King Shaka
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Air Zim emergency out of ORT

Unread post by Mouser » Sun May 05, 2019 6:56 am

jimdavis wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:26 pm
Romeo E.T. wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:34 pm
jimdavis wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:44 am

Hmmmmm! I have just finished reading a fascinating true story about how a CVR was used against a pilot. SCAPEGOAT is a $9 Kindle book which is well written and brilliantly researched. I can thoroughly recommend it. Here's the blurb:

This is the kind of case the Board has never had to deal with-a head-on collision between the credibility of a flight crew versus the airworthiness of the aircraft." NTSB Investigator-in-Charge Leslie Dean Kampschror

On April 4, 1979, a Boeing 727 with 82 passengers and a crew of 7 rolled over and plummeted from an altitude of 39,000 feet to within seconds of crashing were it not for the crew's actions to save the plane. The cause of the unexplained dive was the subject of one of the longest NTSB investigations at that time.

While the crew's efforts to save TWA 841 were initially hailed as heroic, that all changed when safety inspectors found twenty-one minutes of the thirty-minute cockpit voice recorder tape blank. The captain of the flight, Harvey "Hoot" Gibson, subsequently came under suspicion for deliberately erasing the tape in an effort to hide incriminating evidence. The voice recorder was never evaluated for any deficiencies. From that moment on, the investigation was focused on the crew to the exclusion of all other evidence. It was an investigation based on rumors, innuendos, and speculation. Eventually the NTSB, despite sworn testimony to the contrary, blamed the crew for the incident by having improperly manipulated the controls, leading to the dive.

This is the story of a NTSB investigation gone awry and one pilot's decade-long battle to clear his name.

jim
That one definitely counts as a reportable incident
the unexplained dive was the rumored pulling of the LE devices CB and then selecting flap 1 to increase wing area, followed by inadvertent resetting CB by unknown means
It was indeed RUMOURED as you say but after reading the book I have serious doubts about that. There were massive uncommanded rudder movements at the start of the trouble, and the hydraulic pack that caused these was exactly the same one as used on 737 that had the same problem. Boeing, TWA and the NTSB were doing their best to blame the crew because that was the easy way out.

It is a truly fascinating and well written book - I can recommend it to anyone interested in aviation. Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/Scapegoat-Flight ... 0997242108

jim
Thanks jim, sorry to quote the whole post but there was also the A320 that crashed into a forest after a low speed, low altitude air show fly past (Air Crash Investigation tv?). Most survived (3 dead?) but the pilot was found to blame and, as I remember, criminally charged. He defended himself detailing slow engine spool up and other factors, including that the data recording systems had been tampered with. Was found guilty however and may still be fighting after many years.

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”