Aeroflot Sukhoi Superjet 100 involved in a serious incident during an emergency landing.

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Romeo E.T.
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 77 times

Re: Aeroflot Sukhoi Superjet 100 involved in a serious incident during an emergency landing.

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Mon May 06, 2019 8:33 pm

Wingnutter wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:13 pm
Romeo E.T. wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:58 pm
Facebook video from inside the cabin out the Port side

https://www.facebook.com/747Brasil/vide ... 331160953/
Not wekking
it is for me< just tried it again
sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
allanroy
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Aeroflot Sukhoi Superjet 100 involved in a serious incident during an emergency landing.

Unread post by allanroy » Mon May 06, 2019 8:54 pm

the time allowed for a airport fire truck is 3 min to the midpoint of the furthest runway.
FAR Part 139.319 states the response time requirements in the event of an emergency at the airport. It states that within 3 minutes from the time of the alarm, at least one required ARFF vehicle must reach the midpoint of the farthest runway and begin application of required extinguishing agents.
kwest
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAGC + FALA
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by kwest » Mon May 06, 2019 8:57 pm

What are the implications of weight (full fuel) on approach and touchdown speeds ? Crew not prepared / trained / current with the scenario. Land a 182 too fast and it starts oscilations till iether fly away, or break something. Just asking. Sometimes the basic principles remain despite the size.
Keith Stannard.

"I've got wild staring eyes. And I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
Romeo E.T.
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Mon May 06, 2019 9:29 pm

kwest wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:57 pm
What are the implications of weight (full fuel) on approach and touchdown speeds ? Crew not prepared / trained / current with the scenario. Land a 182 too fast and it starts oscilations till iether fly away, or break something. Just asking. Sometimes the basic principles remain despite the size.
On a Jet of similar size, the speed variations are probably around 20Kts between a light weight and a heavy weight aircraft
I doubt that the fuel load had that much of an influence

My thoughts drift towards
1) reduced flap or no flap landing (although from the screen grab of the Facebook passenger video ..https://www.facebook.com/747Brasil/vide ... 331160953/ .. leading edge flaps, and thus some form of trailing edge flaps were extended)
2) No EFIS display airspeed, thus reliance on STBY ASI....very small
3) Crew lack of co-ordination
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

flysouth
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by flysouth » Mon May 06, 2019 10:00 pm

Looks to me like too much speed, a wheelbarrow landing then a bounce and classic porpoise. Effectively that landing was not under control.
Romeo E.T.
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Mon May 06, 2019 10:30 pm

richard C
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by richard C » Tue May 07, 2019 11:00 am

wingnutzster wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:21 pm
…...I have to ask what was the cause of 41 deaths? One expects to be certified safe she'd be subject to international evacuation and survivability standards and with so many developments and improved practices since the British Airtours 737 disaster I am surprised that in 2019 so many would perish in a parked aircraft fire :shock: :?:
I thought there were 13 deaths, not 41 ?
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
Deanw
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 67 times

Unread post by Deanw » Tue May 07, 2019 4:55 pm

richard C wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:00 am
I thought there were 13 deaths, not 41 ?
Latest news reports state that 41 died.
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
CockpitCat
Flaps set for Take off
Closest Airfield: FASH

Unread post by CockpitCat » Tue May 07, 2019 5:29 pm

Outcome might have been different had the a/c swung the other way, when coming to a stop, to avoid the wind blowing the flames over the rear fuselage...flashback to British Airtours accident in 1985 :(
Dragon
Returning to aircraft
Closest Airfield: Morning Star
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by Dragon » Tue May 07, 2019 7:46 pm

Unless it has been shown already and I have missed it (my bad) it is my belief that the speed was not significantly high. My take is that evidence for this is that the aircraft seems to bounce up and stall so it couldn't have been too fast. This gives the classic porpoise. (Land on nose first followed by mains bounces the nose into the sky, aircraft immediately stalls, drops nose and lands on nose first again only to repeat. - you don't porpoise at high speed because the aircraft keeps flying after the first bounce) They however managed to interrupt this by getting the nose up again to prevent a second nose first landing and stalled so hard onto the mains that the struts went through the wings. So now the question comes back to why did they land on the nose wheel ? Well if we consider that the speed may not have been that high we must look for another reason and one possibility (out of many) is that in amongst all of what was going on, they lost the radio altimeters during the lightning strike, and didn't have the normal cues they were waiting for to start the flare. Late flare equals land on nose.
Spoke Eagle
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Silver Creek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by Spoke Eagle » Wed May 08, 2019 1:52 am

That landing looks much like the L 1011 of DHL where the pilots were told to push the nose down after landing!? Only problem was they were still flying when the co-jo pushed the nose into the ground.
rudolphschar
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Howick
Has liked: 14 times

Unread post by rudolphschar » Wed May 08, 2019 5:30 am

I wonder if the emergency was that critical that they had to get down at all costs.
Rudolph Scharneck

SF-25 Motorfalke, GPL
The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude about the problem.
CockpitCat
Flaps set for Take off
Closest Airfield: FASH

Unread post by CockpitCat » Wed May 08, 2019 8:34 am

Possibly this incident shows that the fire-fighting techniques at airports are inadequate to handle such a large fire event...
IamGlobal
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Closest Airfield: UUWW
Been liked: 0

Unread post by IamGlobal » Wed May 08, 2019 10:18 am

Aquila wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:48 pm
bladewalker wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:38 pm

At UUEE there are 3 parallel runways, the northern one (24R) located about 2.5 km north of 24L/24C.
FYI: 24R is still under construction and can not be considered as a usable surface. Last time I saw it a month ago, it was still just a gravel surface.
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: GRJ
Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by MadMacs » Wed May 08, 2019 11:33 am

CockpitCat wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:34 am
Possibly this incident shows that the fire-fighting techniques at airports are inadequate to handle such a large fire event...
With that amount of flames around the rear of the aircraft, the oxygen would get sucked right out and noxious fumes will incapacitate you very quickly, especially as only the forward doors were open and the idiots in front trying to get their bags out the overhead stowage. Very sad.
The closest I get to flying these days is when I put my cellphone in 'flight mode'.

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”