One killed in OV-1 Mohawk crash at Stuart Airshow

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Galway Airport
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 31 times

One killed in OV-1 Mohawk crash at Stuart Airshow

Unread post by paulw » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:00 pm

http://thisisflight.net/2019/11/01/brea ... t-airshow/

One person has been confirmed to have died in a plane crash at the Stuart Airshow in Florida, with the opening day of the airshow cancelled. Martin County Sheriff’s Office, MCFR on scene of plane crash at Whitham Field. No further information available at this time.

The OV-1 Mohawk came down at 13:15 on Friday 1st November, just hours before the scheduled start of the Stuart Airshow at 17:00 on the same day. The Mohawk is a two-seat observation and attack aircraft designed by Grumman. Introduced in 1950, it was retired in 1996..The pilot, who was the only person on board, did not survive.
The Stuart Airshow said: Due to an unfortunate incident today, the Audi Stuart Air Show’s night time air show and TD Bank Dirty Flight Suit Party have been cancelled for this evening, Friday, November 1, 2019. We are working to reschedule this event for after tomorrow’s airshow, Saturday, November 2, 2019. At this time, the remainder of the weekend’s event will resume as planned.
mohawk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
Bearcat
thirty thousand
thirty thousand
Closest Airfield: Grand Central
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 719 times

Re: One killed in OV-1 Mohawk crash at Stuart Airshow

Unread post by Bearcat » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:16 am

Sad for the loss of life but also sad for the loss of a very rare Mohawk ..which is a rather unique aeroplane
Bearcat
thirty thousand
thirty thousand
Closest Airfield: Grand Central
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 719 times

Unread post by Bearcat » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:34 am

Romeo E.T.
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 140 times

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:06 pm

sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
Romeo E.T.
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:07 pm

sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

Romeo E.T.
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:11 pm

jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 443 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:54 am

Interesting. To me it looks as if it was entirely doing its own thing - as if the pilot was not there, or was totally incapacitated.

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:27 pm

https://www.wptv.com/photos-deadly-plan ... t-air-show

Organizers of the Stuart Air Show issued the following statement: "On Friday, November 1, 2019, we lost Dr. Joseph Masessa while preparing for this weekend's event. Joe was a beloved performer of the air show, a local Floridian, and will forever be family. He will always be remembered as we move forward in future endeavors. On behalf of the Audi Stuart Air Show would like to extend our deepest condolences to the Masessa family."
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:28 pm

https://eu.tcpalm.com/story/news/local/ ... 142139002/
Masessa.png
Dr. Joseph Masessa, a dermatologist, worked at five locations across northern New Jersey, as well as an office in Florida.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:32 pm

https://www.927arw.afrc.af.mil/News/Art ... ives-hugs/

Some nice photos at this above link.

MACDILL AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. -- During air shows, children often find planes intriguing. They take pictures of the planes, ask crewmembers questions about how the planes work, and sometimes even get a chance to step inside. One unique aircraft, however, received a little extra attention from children.

"Kids like to give my plane hugs," said Dr. Joseph M. Masessa, who showcased his Grumman OV-1 Mohawk as a static display this weekend at AirFest, the base's annual air show. "They say that the front of the plane looks like it's smiling at them, or that it looks like Snoopy."

Dr. Masessa's "smiling" aircraft is no laughing matter. He said this visual surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft was given the nickname "Widowmaker." The twin turboprop aircraft, which were operational in the U.S. military from 1960 until 1996, were an integral part of the Army's air power during the Vietnam War.

Dr. Masessa, a dermatologist in Rockaway and Toms River, New Jersey, keeps his Mohawk in Palm Springs, Fla., and goes there nearly every weekend to fly his beloved plane, which is one of only 15 flyable Mohawks worldwide.

"I love to fly it, and it loves to be flown," said Dr. Masessa, also a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

Dr. Masessa's said his love of planes began when he was a child. His father, Robert, a Korean War veteran and privately licensed pilot, influenced his aircraft affinity. He said he wanted to become a military fighter pilot after high school, but he was ineligible due to his slightly impaired eyesight.

"I didn't have 20/20 uncorrected vision, which was the Air Force's policy at the time," Dr. Masessa said.

Imperfect vision would not keep him from flying forever. In 1995, Dr. Masessa was introduced to an instructor pilot through a friend. He said he was hooked on flying after just one lesson. One year later, he earned his private pilot's license.

After buying his own twin-turbo prop plane and spending more than 1000 hours flying it, Dr. Masessa set his sights on purchasing a war bird. He said he became interested in Mohawks after seeing one at an air show in New Jersey in 2008. After much research, he purchased his own Mohawk in February 2009. He said this particular aircraft intrigued him because of its role in American military history.

"This aircraft was a very important part of people's lives during very trying times," Dr. Masessa said. "It's incredible to see the bond people have not only with each other, but also with the aircraft."

Many Vietnam War veterans clearly felt a bond with the Mohawk. During Airfest, several veterans approached the aircraft and discussed their memories of it. Vernie P. Jones, a retired Coast Guard chief warrant officer, said he worked in the Army as a Mohawk side-looking airborne radar technician in Vietnam from 1970 to 1971.

"I supported the electronics package for the side-looking airborne radar," Mr. Jones said. "We didn't have enough technical operators, so I ended up flying in over 200 combat missions in addition to fixing the equipment."

Mr. Jones knows Mohawks. Although nearly four decades have passed since he worked with the aircraft, he was able to recall specific information about Mohawk engines, weapons systems and body dimensions as though he had worked on one yesterday. He said seeing the Mohawk brought back a lot of memories.

"I remember many times I came back from missions and the wings were full of holes," Mr. Jones said.

Jim A. McSorley, also an Army Vietnam War veteran, said this was the first time he saw a Mohawk since he served as a paratrooper in Vietnam from 1967 to 1968.

"It's cool to see [the Mohawk] again," Mr. McSorley said. "That's why I come to the show, to see all the neat stuff like this."

Dr. Masessa said maintaining his precious plane is not difficult because the Grumman factory that produced Mohawks was located in Stuart, Fla., approximately 45 miles from where his Mohawk is stored. He said he has easy access to parts and services for his plane, as many former factory workers live in the local area.

"It's a well-built aircraft, and the people who work on it are skilled," Dr. Masessa said.

Dr. Masessa has showcased his Mohawk at a handful air shows before Airfest, and he said he plans on displaying it as often as he can.

"I plan on keeping [the Mohawk] forever," Dr. Masessa said. "It's irreplaceable."

It appears as though Dr. Masessa's Mohawk will be "smiling" at air shows for many years to come.
Mike Wissing
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: KBDN
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 95 times

Unread post by Mike Wissing » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:40 am

A friend a colleague used to fly them and he says they have some very bad habits at certain attitudes. He is not a fan of the airplane and said he saw friends die in them in Nam.
Very sad.
Mike Wissing
C.A.P. Search and Rescue Mission Pilot - SAR Check Pilot.
Professional RV builder and company test pilot
I can't wait for computer keyboards to come out with a breathalyzer..........
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:35 am

Mike Wissing wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:40 am
A friend a colleague used to fly them and he says they have some very bad habits at certain attitudes. He is not a fan of the airplane and said he saw friends die in them in Nam.
Probably why they called the plane "Widow Maker"
biffvj
Joining unmanned airfield circuit
Closest Airfield: Polokwane Civil
Has liked: 23 times

Unread post by biffvj » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:46 am

The engine over wing design which they built for all around surveillance viewing creates too many problems.
A true friend has the guts to tell you what you need to hear.
Ugly Duckling
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 411 times
Been liked: 312 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:50 pm

Some commentary on the accident

Typical display routine
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”