Crash Springs

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

FoxTROT
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: Crash Springs

Unread post by FoxTROT » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:27 pm

Glide approach gone wrong?
These users liked the author FoxTROT for the post (total 2):
HunterNo Fly No More
Mikemccrsa
Stall training
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Mikemccrsa » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm

richard C wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:35 am
Do Piper pilots pull the carb-heat on downwind and base ? Always ?

I know that Jim talks about the superior design of the Piper because the carb continually scavenges heat from the engine near which it was cleverly placed, but does that effect the training ?
I was definitely taught to use the carb heat on downwind and base, close on short final in preparation for a go-around.
Christo
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 54 times

Unread post by Christo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:12 pm

Mikemccrsa wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm
richard C wrote:

I know that Jim talks about the superior design of the Piper because the carb continually scavenges heat from the engine near which it was cleverly placed, but does that effect the training ?
I was definitely taught to use the carb heat on downwind and base, close on short final in preparation for a go-around.
my nemesis on PPL training. Kept forgetting to switch it off.
Due to the price increase in ammunition, do not expect a warning shot.

Sig Sauer, kinda like Glock except for men.
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 91 times

Unread post by ACE MAN » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:36 pm

There is a home camera video on social media , basically landing short. Might just be me but I have flown most my light aircraft flying over the last 30 years in that region in all varying weather and never had carb icing? Mostly with O320 engines. A good friend of mine was killed just a block back from today’s accident while he was a passenger in a BE23 off rwy 21, hot high and tailwind takeoff. I was the one to take the call at JNB ATC. So it would appear today’s is an engine failure if sorts.
These users liked the author ACE MAN for the post:
Lazy duck
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
Kibim
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: FAOI
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by Kibim » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:38 pm

ACE MAN wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:36 pm
There is a home camera video on social media , basically landing short. Might just be me but I have flown most my light aircraft flying over the last 30 years in that region in all varying weather and never had carb icing? Mostly with O320 engines. A good friend of mine was killed just a block back from today’s accident while he was a passenger in a BE23 off rwy 21, hot high and tailwind takeoff. I was the one to take the call at JNB ATC. So it would appear today’s is an engine failure if sorts.
Lets hope it didn't suffer the same fate at it's cousin, ZS-EXV did in 2016, catastrophic engine failure. Unfortunately the instructor and student were not so lucky on that occasion.
Brendan Marsay
ZS-OEM : Grob 109
Hunter
Pre-take off checks
Closest Airfield: Morningstar
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Hunter » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:44 pm

richard C wrote:

Part of my drills yes.
Wynand Britz
ZS-DVA Cherokee 235
Adventures of a Rookie Pilot
Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/wynandjnr
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 91 times

Unread post by ACE MAN » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:49 pm

Kibim wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:38 pm
ACE MAN wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:36 pm
Lets hope it didn't suffer the same fate at it's cousin, ZS-EXV did in 2016, catastrophic engine failure. Unfortunately the instructor and student were not so lucky on that occasion.
And EXO ! I did 50% of my PPL on that at FASI!

My Question here to Jim or anyone else who has extensive hours (2000hr plus) on O320’s - have you EVER had carb ice that is so bad that the engine has failed? To have it at the point where you need to add power on the approach is extremely unforgiving.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
Romeo E.T.
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:23 pm

ACE MAN wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:49 pm

My Question here to Jim or anyone else who has extensive hours (2000hr plus) on O320’s - have you EVER had carb ice that is so bad that the engine has failed? To have it at the point where you need to add power on the approach is extremely unforgiving.
over 3000 hrs on O320's and O360's
not once experienced carb icing

have however heard of the mythical inducing carb icing , when applying carb heat, but not self experienced or heard of
The worst I have ever encountered is a momentarily spluttering engine (Cessna) which I , at the time, I explained to myself, as partial carb icing being cleared and ingested thru the engine.
but never on a Piper (touch wood)

Didn't this early morning start of very moist (humid) after last nights weather that passed thru (mainly north of Gauteng) ?
These users liked the author Romeo E.T. for the post (total 3):
olie4ACE MANRotor kop
sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
Romeo E.T.
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:33 pm

PJL wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:53 am
richard C wrote:
I was taught when turning base. I am so glad that my aerie is fuel injected!!

PJL
Yes...me too (mainly instructed on PA28's
Always taught my students the application of carb heat with the reduction of power on base leg.
Always taught my students to close carb heat once established on final approach.
Taught the carb heat mainly as an accepted procedure, rather than any actual evidence or occurance.
without a TAT probe in the throttle body of the carburetor, it is a "hit and miss" affair on whether to use carb heat or if the use of carb heat might actually raise the temperature into the carb icing range

Remember an idling engine produces very little heat to significantly "MELT" any carb icing, thus carb heat should be deployed whilst the engine is producing heat (power), before reduction of power
These users liked the author Romeo E.T. for the post (total 5):
Ugly DucklingACE MANapollo11jimdavisrichard C
sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
savas
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FABB
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by savas » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:54 pm

Carb heat should be applied ok downwind, base then off as one turns finals- in my opinion
spokes
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: Siver Creek
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by spokes » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:02 pm

Pipers mainly use Lycomings and they have the carburettor in the oil sump to prevent ice forming. I have had ice in a Tripacer out of Rustenburg on the climb out but a dash of carb heat and then some splutter and all was fine again.
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 437 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:27 pm

Romeo E.T. wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:23 pm
ACE MAN wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:49 pm

over 3000 hrs on O320's and O360's
not once experienced carb icing

have however heard of the mythical inducing carb icing , when applying carb heat, but not self experienced or heard of
The worst I have ever encountered is a momentarily spluttering engine (Cessna) which I , at the time, I explained to myself, as partial carb icing being cleared and ingested thru the engine.
but never on a Piper (touch wood)

Didn't this early morning start of very moist (humid) after last nights weather that passed thru (mainly north of Gauteng) ?
I am with you Schultzie I have NEVER experienced airborne carb icing on an O320 or an O360.

However, taxying out on the first flight of the day with a cold engine and wet grass - YES it is very common - and mostly goes unnoticed. The pupe or pilot just adds a bit more power. You will notice it if you throttle fully back, then you realise the engine idles too slowly, or even wants to die.

After five minutes, or less, of ground running the sump has warmed sufficiently to warm the throttle body and that's the end of any ice.

So, no - I really can't support the carb icing theory for this accident.

jim
These users liked the author jimdavis for the post (total 2):
Rotor kopACE MAN
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
homebuilt
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAEL
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by homebuilt » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:57 am

If the majority of experienced pilots think carb icing is NOT to blame what then about this scenario. Firstly I dont know the field from a bar of soap, circuit size or altitude or whether the pilot and pupe were flying circuits or had just returned from a cross country but what if the pilot flying selected the incorrect tank ( the emptier on of the two) on downwind and the fuel pipe ported on base to final turn leaving them on finals with a windmilling prop. By the time one had a chance to trouble shoot the aircraft would have been low and short of the field.
BigglesSA
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by BigglesSA » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:02 am

VID-20191111-WA0004.mp4
Seems to be coming in very steep?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groetnis
Francois Gouws
“I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. ” Antoine de Saint-Exupéry“
richard C
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 159 times
Been liked: 148 times

Unread post by richard C » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:29 am

Wow - not much of a flare, lucky they were not more seriously hurt.

I wonder if they chose to hit the road hard, instead of the concrete fence structure more slowly ? If so, they did a good job - they flew into the crash and walked away.
These users liked the author richard C for the post:
ACE MAN
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”