When should carb heat be turned off in the landing sequence?

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Dusty Eagle
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: My Home and Tedderfield
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: When should carb heat be turned off in the landing sequence?

Unread post by Dusty Eagle » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:59 pm

@Hunter:
I merely said there is merit in knowing what these are in case you have instrument failure.

Have I missed your point ?, knowing what they should be wont help if the instruments fail, as you say. You then fly by the seat of your pants as Jim says.
Nico Brandt
HJK 414
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: abcd
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 356 times

Re: When should carb heat be turned off in the landing sequence?

Unread post by HJK 414 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:56 am

jimdavis wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:46 pm
southside wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:35 pm
I always have to giggle when people refer to fast/high performance /complex aircraft on light aeroplanes. None of the light Cessnas/Pipers/Beechcraft ect are complex or high performance....a Boeing/Airbus/CRJ/Dash 8 ect is complex and high performance :roll:
SS you are technically correct. However, seldom is a "Boeing/Airbus/CRJ/Dash 8 ect" captain as busy as a Baron charter pilot returning to Johannesburg in a busy late afternoon during summer thunderstorm time. He has to plan the descent, cope with traffic, talk to ATC, change frequencies, read back clearances dodge thunderstorms and be nice to difficult pax - ALL ON HIS OWN - no copilot, no hostie, no one to negotiate with ATC, possibly no glass and a pretty ordinary autopilot.

To my mind that is the busiest pilot in the world - despite his humble aircraft. Its the very lack of what you see as complexity, makes it an extremely complex aircraft to operate. Actually nothing to giggle at. 8) :wink:

jim

Correct Jim,

Now make that Baron in the example a Cessna 421 or an Aero Commander 685 with GTSIO's - coming out of altitude ………
That will quickly make it clear …… :wink:

Have you ever flown such aircraft Southside ??…..

JK

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”