Light aircraft down Pretoria, ZS-UKU KR2

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

StressMerchant
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Cab
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 255 times

Re: Light aircraft down Pretoria, ZS-UKU KR2

Unread post by StressMerchant » Thu May 19, 2022 10:35 am

jimdavis wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:33 pm
StressMerchant wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 1:49 pm
Stressors, a question if I may: If the imbalance is exactly equal on both ailerons, and they are connected by rods which effectively have no play, would each act as an effective counterbalance for the other? I suspect this might be a theory thing that for some reason doesn't work so well in practice.

Jim
You’d think so, but it doesn’t really work like that. Remember that wing flutter means that the structure is flexing to a significant degree, so the control link mechanisms could equally flex and distort. As Russel points out in his response, you really need to consider the dynamic situation.

For Type Certified designs, the authorities generally prefer a rigid attachment to the control surface. If you do put the balance elsewhere, you will have to show that the control system flexibility does not affect the outcome. In addition, as soon as you move the weight elsewhere in the system, the Authority will want you to show that the aircraft is still safe in the event of a disconnection in the system. The KR2 is obviously NTCA, but I'm sure the designer used the basic guidelines from the FAA.

I haven’t chatted to the CSIR team for several years, but they used to have a very highly rated flutter team. They did a lot of work for projects around the world, working with National Airworthiness Authorities to certify designs. I’m sure that if an organisation such as EAA were to approach the CSIR, they’d be only too glad to arrange a presentation on flutter, where you’d be able to ask the experts to share their real life experiences and insights.
These users liked the author StressMerchant for the post (total 3):
jimdavisAEHPO
Dweller on an errant planet
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 1904 times
Been liked: 2551 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Thu May 19, 2022 11:15 am

StressMerchant wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 10:35 am
jimdavis wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:33 pm
StressMerchant wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 1:49 pm
Stressors, a question if I may: If the imbalance is exactly equal on both ailerons, and they are connected by rods which effectively have no play, would each act as an effective counterbalance for the other? I suspect this might be a theory thing that for some reason doesn't work so well in practice.

Jim
You’d think so, but it doesn’t really work like that. Remember that wing flutter means that the structure is flexing to a significant degree, so the control link mechanisms could equally flex and distort. As Russel points out in his response, you really need to consider the dynamic situation.

For Type Certified designs, the authorities generally prefer a rigid attachment to the control surface. If you do put the balance elsewhere, you will have to show that the control system flexibility does not affect the outcome. In addition, as soon as you move the weight elsewhere in the system, the Authority will want you to show that the aircraft is still safe in the event of a disconnection in the system. The KR2 is obviously NTCA, but I'm sure the designer used the basic guidelines from the FAA.

I haven’t chatted to the CSIR team for several years, but they used to have a very highly rated flutter team. They did a lot of work for projects around the world, working with National Airworthiness Authorities to certify designs. I’m sure that if an organisation such as EAA were to approach the CSIR, they’d be only too glad to arrange a presentation on flutter, where you’d be able to ask the experts to share their real life experiences and insights.
Thanks Stressors for your comprehensive and well explained reply - as usual! That makes perfect sense. =D> =D> =D>

jim
AND LOTS OF LOVELY FLYING BOOKS at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 96 times

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Thu May 26, 2022 8:18 pm

Thanks Stress, very insightful and interesting.
Hop
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”