Light Plane Crash Miami

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

flyingeeza
FREDA checks
Closest Airfield: Duxford
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Light Plane Crash Miami

Unread post by flyingeeza » Sat May 21, 2022 8:27 pm

[/quote]

Because piss poor planning of the flight gave him no back door , were you not taught to fly and plan for when not if the engine fails.
[/quote]

Have you ever taken off from Rand Airport in a real aeroplane?
[/quote]

A valid question (except for the "real" part)...I fly both microlights and spamcans, and both are real aeroplanes. You can really, and indeed swiftly, die in either type.

I did much of my PPL out of Rand (usually out of runway 11) as well as my complex training and sign-off in a Turbo Arrow 4 namely ZS-KTA. Retracts, VP prop, turbocharged and fuel injected. A proper handfull! (heavy elevator but the electric trim helped with the flare though :D )

But if my engine had ever quit I can tell you I would have had a choice of either a mine dump or some residential roadway to plonk it onto at 70mph.

Sometimes fate is indeed the hunter and people will get hurt or die.
It is their time. If it wasn't their time the engine wouldn't have croaked.

Real world emergencies in a 1 ton spamcan are a lot different to a diddy little 582 going quiet on you, (got that T-shirt too) and then your 270 kg rag 'n tube airframe hits a car or something at 40mph?

Big difference. Please don't judge until you've been there, or very close to there yourself.
Ugly Duckling
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 1216 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:24 pm

Fuel selector out of position between Both and Right
https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/fue ... dge-crash/
These users liked the author Ugly Duckling for the post:
Raffles
Paul Sabatier
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
TikkaT3
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: Potchefstroom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by TikkaT3 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:33 pm

Ugly Duckling wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:24 pm
Fly, Field, Fault/Fuel, Flaps is what I was taught.

Fly (pitch for best glide), ID an appropriate landing field, Fault (mags on both, left, right, carb heat, mixture correct), Fuel (check quantity, change tanks), Flaps to make the field and then if there is enough altitude left, try restart.
These users liked the author TikkaT3 for the post:
Ugly Duckling
Cessna 182
Sardine
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: [ ]
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 89 times

Unread post by Sardine » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:06 pm

Ouch.
richard C wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:08 am
I am amazed at the lack of medical care for the two passengers. Was that a cop or a security guard walking around looking tough and talking to his mates on the walkie-talkie ?

That was some of the slackest and most apathetic response I have seen. Either passenger could have had internal injuries and been in immediate danger.

I see the passengers escaped the cabin as fast as possible, I wonder they didn't make any attempt to try to save the pilot in those first few moments.
All the news reports say "bystanders/witnesses rushing to help", but the shirtless guy seems to be the only one who was proactive: you can see him approaching the plane and crouching down and shouting "Anyone in there".

Only one bystander approached the wreck with a fire extinguisher, but discharged it from faaar away.

I wonder how many other folks had fire extinguisher's in their vehicles, and if the pilot would have made it if they'd used them?
Surely that bus and panel van must have had a couple between them.

It's difficult to to tell how much time there was between the aircraft coming to a stop and the fire starting, but based on the drone footage;
Pax 1 gets out at 10 seconds.
First flames seen a second or two later.
Pax 2 at about 23 seconds

(No, I'm not saying people must put themselves at risk to save others.)

----

I'm not sure if they still do it (or exist), but Red Watch in Cape Town had a 1-day fire fighting course, which not only took you through the theory, but they also gave you the opportunity to fight various fire types, and demonstrated the various types of extinguishing agents. They also taught you how to orientate yourself in dark spaces, the importance of working and staying as a group (headcounts at every turn - we were in a dark building), as well as how to pick someone up and get them out of harm's way.

It was well worth it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users liked the author Sardine for the post:
richard C
JimmyZ
Flaps set for Take off
Closest Airfield: FAKT
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by JimmyZ » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:00 am

Ugly Duckling wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:24 pm
I saw this on another news platform. More than likely a result of the pilot troubleshooting the problem as opposed to the cause of the problem.
Or am I missing something?

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”