FAR147 - Misconception

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

rotorman
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Closest Airfield: Pearly Beach Airstip
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

FAR147 - Misconception

Unread post by rotorman » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:14 am

During December 2009 an incident occurred at Stilbaai which was seconds away from a tradegy. In a 90 deg x-wind condition a blik and a microlight touched down on on opposite ends of the runway - without them knowing of each other ! The problem was that the blik was operating on 124.8 and the microlight was correctly on 119.8. I operate from Pearly Beach airstip (Heidehof) at Gansbaai and have seen this problem before. FAR 147 is a military airspace and controlled by Overberg Tower on 119.8 and the area stretches coastwise from Gansbaai to Gouritsmouth FL195/GND : NOTE ! NOTE ! lower level is GROUND!. Overberg Tower is normally manned during working hours. They are a very professional and accommodating crowd - it is a pleasure talking to those guys, so go ahead and do it - they will even speak to you in Afrikaans if you so wish. When the tower is not manned, broadcast TIBA on 119.8!!! There is no such thing as changing to 124.8 when in the circuit at any AF in FAR147. Eg. When we take off from Pearly Beach airstrip on the ground we listen out on 119.8 and broadcast our intention TIBA on 119.8 as the tower cannot hear us on the ground. Soon as we are up, Tower can hear us and we establish comms with them if they are manned, otherwise we continue TIBA on 119.8. In Gansbaai area we see low level jet activity all the time, any time! Be sure to be and remain on 119.8 at all times when within the boundaries of FAR 147 : 124.8 DOES NOT EXIST IN FAR147 !
wynand
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAHT
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: FAR147 - Misconception

Unread post by wynand » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:19 am

Thanks for the "heads-up", rotorman.
Valuable first post.
I can't say "welcome to AvCom" because I see you joined before I did.
"Rule books are paper. They will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal." -Ernest K. Gann
rod smith

Unread post by rod smith » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:27 am

I read the above post with interest, despite the fact that I live far away and may never fly into the area.

What catches my attention is the following from the AIP re FAR 147:

"No person shall without prior authorisation fly any civil aircraft into this area."

So now I am puzzled. How did the blick get in at all. How does anyone get out when tower cannot hear you when you are on the ground?

Rod Smithn
Burner
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 109 times

Unread post by Burner » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:28 pm

rod smith wrote:
So now I am puzzled. How did the blick get in at all. How does anyone get out when tower cannot hear you when you are on the ground?

Rod Smithn
Not a hassle just give them a ring on your mobile phone and let them know your intentions. They are possibly the most friendly and accommodating controllers around!
BenSmit
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Grand Central

Unread post by BenSmit » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:36 pm

Burner wrote:
rod smith wrote:

Rod Smithn
Not a hassle just give them a ring on your mobile phone and let them know your intentions. They are possibly the most friendly and accommodating controllers around!
Hi burner, that answers Rod's second question, but how did the guy get in, without speaking to the controllers, or did he change freq when entering the circuit maybe?
Ben Smit
I am not young enough to know everything
(Oscar Wilde)
SimplyFly
Airspeed active
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by SimplyFly » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:44 pm

From what I heard on the air over the last few days it was not an isolated incident. 124.8 seems to be in general use at Stilbaai. Asking for an accident.

Simpli
Hoe komt wie vliegt ooit tot bedaren
En wie niet vliegt ooit van zijn plaats? - Jan Emmens
dvorster99
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FASH

Unread post by dvorster99 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:32 pm

Update on an old post:

I'm no expert on the topic, but I fly from FASH to FACY quite a bit.

Yes - You have to be on Overberg 119.8 entering and flying in FAR147, BUT once close to the airfield, Overberg instructs you to switch to 124.8 for the Stilbaai circuit.

Before and during take-off, broadcast 124.8 and as soon as possible after being airborne, contact 119.8.

For safety, I monitor both frequencies

Enjoy!

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”