Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Emigration options

Unread post by paulw » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:10 pm

Whirly wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:15 am
For the guys looking at property in Spain, just google "properties for sale Spain" and you will get hundreds of websites. I signed up at Kyero.com and get weekly e-mails.

Don't you all start buying there now and chase up the property prices! :lol:

Whirly.
Thanks Whirly

Some nice properties here too:
https://www.secondhome.nl/en/property/? ... ion=normal

You can also list your property in SA here.
People from all over Europe but especially Netherlands go the the Second Home show twice a year in Utrecht to look to buy a second home for holiday or investment.
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
Horace Blok
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAMO
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Horace Blok » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:44 am

Whirly wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:40 am
BONNIE MAD wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:20 am
What am I missing here?
To my way of thinking, If one is of retirement age, sold all the assets and invested locally or overseas, scaled down in a townhouse complex,
there as still good, quiet places, low crime rate, good infrastructure to retire to in SA. Why go to such extremes, uproot yourself at that age to adapt to another culture, way of doing things etc at that age?
Its a different matter for young people trying to start a career, business, etc and trying to make a living in the cities, where the problems affect one more.
BM,

Failing infrastructure and increasing crime, it is only time till it gets to the quieter places. We also want to do some travelling and for us, Spain would be a great base. We are not wanted nor appreciated here, why stay? :? If you stay in a quiet and less crime ridden place in SA, you will have to travel to do shopping, go to the Dr etc. Then you are exposed to it. Staying and retiring in SA is no longer an option for us, we have made up our minds. :(

Whirly.
@ Whirly - Hear hear. 100%. If I can get the wife to soften up re Spain I'd be happy . . . . . She's keen on an English speaking country - and who here doesn't get that? The UK with 62M is too overcrowded - it doesn't work for me. Ireland is a favoured spot for quite a few Saffas . . . . EU Passport application coming together - thank goodness. But as they say in the classics - don't count your chickens . . .
Hartog
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
⏺ Respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners.

▶️ Life isn't a dress rehearsal.

➡️ Try to learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 114 times

Unread post by cage » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:52 am

If i had to go anywhere it wouldn't be anywhere I'd be packed in amongst a bunch of other retired euro- expats.
The idea of that demographic and an area that has been anglicised makes me feel ill.
Its a lot like Florida.
Fortunately I'm way too young to worry about that.
I have family that live in those soulless townhouses, just seems like a sunny way to wind down to death.
Would rather go out with a bang somewhere else..
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by Fransw » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:50 am

Horace Blok wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:44 am
Whirly wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:40 am
BONNIE MAD wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:20 am
What am I missing here?
To my way of thinking, If one is of retirement age, sold all the assets and invested locally or overseas, scaled down in a townhouse complex,
there as still good, quiet places, low crime rate, good infrastructure to retire to in SA. Why go to such extremes, uproot yourself at that age to adapt to another culture, way of doing things etc at that age?
Its a different matter for young people trying to start a career, business, etc and trying to make a living in the cities, where the problems affect one more.
BM,

Failing infrastructure and increasing crime, it is only time till it gets to the quieter places. We also want to do some travelling and for us, Spain would be a great base. We are not wanted nor appreciated here, why stay? :? If you stay in a quiet and less crime ridden place in SA, you will have to travel to do shopping, go to the Dr etc. Then you are exposed to it. Staying and retiring in SA is no longer an option for us, we have made up our minds. :(

Whirly.
@ Whirly - Hear hear. 100%. If I can get the wife to soften up re Spain I'd be happy . . . . . She's keen on an English speaking country - and who here doesn't get that? The UK with 62M is too overcrowded - it doesn't work for me. Ireland is a favoured spot for quite a few Saffas . . . . EU Passport application coming together - thank goodness. But as they say in the classics - don't count your chickens . . .
Hartog, each to his own!

You have a near perfect retire setup there in Groot Brak! I don't know your specific place but I know Groot Brak is a lovely place, one of the best!

Now you want to go to S Spain...you will at least pay 4 times yo paid for the same place. The infrastructure is not very good inmost parts, even in the expensive parts. Always problems with water and sanitation.. Poor medical care compare to what you can get at Mosselb.The vegetation and beaches are ugly compare to the Garden route. Most of the people(locals and expats) are unfriendly and rude compare to our people, etc I don't think there are any birds or small animals like Hugo found in his garden..

But yes its an interesting place to visit..

Rather go for a 6 months or year adventure there and live at 2 or 3 places for a couple of months. Believe me you will be very very glad to come back to SA..

Only my 2c, each for his own..
HJK 414
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: EHTW
Been liked: 122 times

Unread post by HJK 414 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:38 pm

Fransw wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:50 am

Now you want to go to S Spain...you will at least pay 4 times yo paid for the same place.

The infrastructure is not very good inmost parts, even in the expensive parts.

Always problems with water and sanitation..

Poor medical care compare to what you can get at Mosselb.

Most of the people(locals and expats) are unfriendly and rude compare to our people, etc

Frans,

I have no idea where you went in Spain,

But most of what is stated above is hogwash.
I live there - and have been in most parts of the country.

The infrastructure is phenomenal, top end highways - high speed rail and public transport everywhere for a pittance.
Medical care is rated as top in the world.
And unless you behave like some "entitled" moron - you will not find more accommodating and friendly people

JK
The wisest mind has something yet to learn. ...
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Fransw » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:41 pm

HJK 414 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:38 pm
Fransw wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:50 am

Now you want to go to S Spain...you will at least pay 4 times yo paid for the same place.

The infrastructure is not very good inmost parts, even in the expensive parts.

Always problems with water and sanitation..

Poor medical care compare to what you can get at Mosselb.

Most of the people(locals and expats) are unfriendly and rude compare to our people, etc

Frans,

I have no idea where you went in Spain,

But most of what is stated above is hogwash.
I live there - and have been in most parts of the country.

The infrastructure is phenomenal, top end highways - high speed rail and public transport everywhere for a pittance.
Medical care is rated as top in the world.
And unless you behave like some "entitled" moron - you will not find more accommodating and friendly people

JK
I did say each to his own! :lol:
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:51 pm

Horace Blok wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:44 am
Thats my plan. Use Ireland as a stepping stone for a more sunnier place later. From Ireland go on holidays and decide on a final retirement place. Easy enough to go to Spain to travel there and decide which area, etc.
Same for other countries.
HJK 414
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Unread post by HJK 414 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:54 pm

Fransw wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:41 pm

......Poor medical care compare to what you can get at Mosselb.

True - to each his own - but fantasizing your own "facts" ....... :roll:

Spain's healthcare ranks among top ten in world
Spain is ranked eighth in the world for its standard of healthcare, according to new research.
The Healthcare Access and Quality Index (HAQ), published in the UK journal The Lancet on Thursday, studied the quality of healthcare in 195 countries by measuring mortality rates from causes that should not be fatal in the presence of effective medical care.

The study analyzed death rates from 32 such diseases and conditions over the period 1990 to 2015 and found that nearly all countries saw their rating improve over the years.

Spain scored 90 points out of a maximum 100, placing it eighth in the world rankings, above the healthcare systems of Italy (89), France (88), Greece (87), Germany (86), the UK (85) and Portugal (85).

JK
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:58 pm

I don't know Spain except for Madrid airport transiting once. I was amazed at the modern underground rail system from International to Domestic and the efficiency.
HJK 414
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Unread post by HJK 414 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:08 pm

paulw wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:58 pm
I don't know Spain except for Madrid airport transiting once. I was amazed at the modern underground rail system from International to Domestic and the efficiency.
Paul,

They rank in the Top 10 of EU countries in Infrastucture ratings - just about across the board ....
The only score outside the top 10 is timeliness of shipments from the Ports.

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/facts-fu ... ructure_en

If one wishes to comment - then at least sort the facts.
No one has to move to Spain - not your cup of tea - all good - but let's try to stay real here ...... :wink:

JK
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Fransw » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:22 pm

HJK 414 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:08 pm
paulw wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:58 pm
Paul,

They rank in the Top 10 of EU countries in Infrastucture ratings - just about across the board ....
The only score outside the top 10 is timeliness of shipments from the Ports.

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/facts-fu ... ructure_en

If one wishes to comment - then at least sort the facts.
No one has to move to Spain - not your cup of tea - all good - but let's try to stay real here ...... :wink:

JK
Jan, I think you must calm down now!! Not necessary to start insulting people if they don't agree with you! :wink:

Its going to be hard to beat a good quality life in Mosselbay, end of story! (We all have our idea of 'good' quality! :wink: )

What I'm saying is, go for a couple of months or a year or whatever and decide then. That's if you have the luxury to do that..
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Whirly » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:35 pm

My neighbor in Mossel Bay was selling his newly built spec house, the buyer was about to sign and on his way to do so when he had to turn around as the road was blocked by some (mostly imported and paid) protesters. :roll: Needless to say, the deal did not happen. :evil:

Mossel Bay has always been my ideal retirement destination and that is why we bought there 11 years ago, even bought the stand in front of us to prevent someone from building there and spoiling our sea view. We will keep the house, we were going to build our dream home on the vacant lot, for as long as we can. Even if we move to Spain we will be back frequently till we no longer think it is worth is.

I don't think I fit in with the local "culture" any longer and I am not going to sponsor someone else's medical aid in years to come, which Cyril and his clan are hell bent on implementing (because it works in other countries - obviously he can't count). :roll:

My partner moved to Portugal because it is safe, the infrastructure is great and the medical care top notch. He has had a taste of the medical facilities there and came away smiling. Now HJK tells me that Spain is rated higher than Portugal for that, great news!

Now I just need to start learning a little Spanish.

Whirly.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
skyvan
Frequent AvComer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by skyvan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:21 pm

I'd like to thank all the contributors to this thread (especially HJK), your willingness to share your knowledge is absolutely wonderful!

You have opened up my eyes to aspects I hadn't considered, and also re-affirmed the importance of the decision.

Thank you, gentlemen, very much.
HJK 414
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Unread post by HJK 414 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:18 am

Fransw wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:22 pm

Jan, I think you must calm down now!! Not necessary to start insulting people if they don't agree with you! :wink:

Its going to be hard to beat a good quality life in Mosselbay, end of story! (We all have our idea of 'good' quality! :wink: )

What I'm saying is, go for a couple of months or a year or whatever and decide then. That's if you have the luxury to do that..

Frans,

I am not aware of having "insulted" anyone.
I could not care less whether anyone disagrees with me - everyone has an opinion and they are all the same value as far as I am concerned.

As for comparisons with "Mosselbaai" - that is your Utopian threshold - so be it.

What I do have a problem with and hence wagged my finger ( ... [-X ..) is that you posted factually incorrect statements, and I lifted those from the post you made, and posted the actual situation.

Not because of wanting to be "right" ...... or wanting anyone to "agree" with me - but because I am of the opinion that this thread could be perhaps be read by someone that wishes to relocate - may have limited funds (only being able to apply for the retirement Visa) and is contemplating Spain. Yet his wife / kids or immediate environment are doubting whether it is a correct decision - then a statement - poor Medical Aid - or bad infrastructure could sway someone in a direction - or could be pushed in a direction ..............without the person or his relatives knowing that the statement is hogwash.

Those statements that can be seen as "opinion" - well that is your opinion. Everyone has one.

All I am trying to achieve is that information - posted here - is correct - and people can make up their own mind.
I can not post a "general feeling" / I can not post the "atmosphere" in Spain - nor anywhere else.

What we do agree on is that it is advise-able to travel to Spain and have a decent look around.
Fly to Madrid - get on the high speed train (You will be on the coast in less than 3 hours), and spend some time there.
Rent a car - go up and down the coast and it will quickly become evident whether you can "adapt" to life there.
If you are close to Alicante - my door is always open - fridge full - and I am more than happy to assist in finding accommodation and or pointing you in the right direction - or simply providing information.

If you wish to see Spain as it is (not the 8 weeks of summer holidays that are hectic) - and taste the "normal" way of life - then September / October are great months for climate - and March - April are the joy of spring and everything blooms.

JK
HJK 414
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet

Unread post by HJK 414 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:28 am

Whirly wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:35 pm

Now I just need to start learning a little Spanish.

Whirly.
Whirly - Lesson 1

Dos cervezas por favor.
Dos vinos tinto por favor.
Dos vinos blanco por favor.

Not much else to learn ..... :mrgreen:

JK

Return to “123.45”