Drone flying on your own Farm?

Unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone and also referred to as an unpiloted aerial vehicle and a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), is an aircraft without a human pilot aboard.

Moderator: Moderators

FDB
Flight Planning
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:36 am
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Drone flying on your own Farm?

Unread post by FDB » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:53 am

Hi guys.
I have a question.
I understand the rules for hobby flyers, but one rule gets me.
If my neighbor now builds himself a private landing strip for his microlight that he may or may not use more than once.., does that mean that none of us farm owners in a 10km range of his new strip may fly our drones at all?
User avatar
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 10238
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 354 times

Re: Drone flying on your own Farm?

Unread post by cage » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:55 am

FDB wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:53 am
Hi guys.
I have a question.
I understand the rules for hobby flyers, but one rule gets me.
If my neighbor now builds himself a private landing strip for his microlight that he may or may not use more than once.., does that mean that none of us farm owners in a 10km range of his new strip may fly our drones at all?
No. It needs to be a licensed field which a strip isn't.
User avatar
Wonko the Sane
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4290
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm
Closest Airfield: Waterkloof
Location: Centurion
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 121 times

Re: Drone flying on your own Farm?

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:26 am

cage wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:55 am
FDB wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:53 am
Hi guys.
I have a question.
I understand the rules for hobby flyers, but one rule gets me.
If my neighbor now builds himself a private landing strip for his microlight that he may or may not use more than once.., does that mean that none of us farm owners in a 10km range of his new strip may fly our drones at all?
No. It needs to be a licensed field which a strip isn't.
Correct, the SA law says "Airport" but some other authorities have expanded it to Aerodromes and Airfields and their associated airspace. There is also a inclusion for Strips that support aircraft that ferries paying clients. (Typically game reserves and resorts)

Post a DRONETAM to the pilot advising him that "your" airspace may contain drones :twisted: 8) :lol:

W
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux
RPL (MR)
FDB
Flight Planning
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:36 am
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Drone flying on your own Farm?

Unread post by FDB » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:27 am

That is a relief.
Are you sure though?
I read another post that seems to indicate it may not be the case:

"Re: Place in Gauteng to legally fly drone

Post by edwoodza » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:11 pm
Caa definition, "anywhere any aircraft takes off and lands" so extends to unregistered too. And not limited to places helicopters land regularly either."
User avatar
Wonko the Sane
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4290
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm
Closest Airfield: Waterkloof
Location: Centurion
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 121 times

Re: Drone flying on your own Farm?

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:20 am

FDB wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:27 am
That is a relief.
Are you sure though?
I read another post that seems to indicate it may not be the case:

"Re: Place in Gauteng to legally fly drone

Post by edwoodza » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:11 pm
Caa definition, "anywhere any aircraft takes off and lands" so extends to unregistered too. And not limited to places helicopters land regularly either."
That is correct but vague, the regs are about airspace. If you do not fall in a controlled airspace you can fly, providing the other criteria are also adhered to.
Drone-rules.jpg
classification-of-airspace.jpg

W
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux
RPL (MR)
FDB
Flight Planning
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:36 am
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Drone flying on your own Farm?

Unread post by FDB » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:42 am

Ah ok.
No that is great.
We do not fall in a controlled airspace area then.
I'm just asking because we are on a 780hactare farm close to Cullinan and slowly getting into some Drone Photography as a hobby.
With all our research into the do's and don'ts we quickly realized that there do not seem to be many areas close to PTA where people can go and actually fly their drones so we are thinking about opening the farm up to others in some controlled fashion (Only allowing a certain amount of people at a time or maybe have "Members" that can book visits or something like that to avoid having too many drones in the air at the same time.). No toy drones. Only guys actually into photography/videograpgy and maybe a quad racing club or two for those low height races things they do. Some strict rules like limiting the height, the distance, etc. Not sure yet.

But the last thing we are in the mood for is issues and liability so if those pop up we rather can the idea.
Also do not want to get a surprise if we allow people there, and in a few months some farmer makes his own landing strip we do not know about and we get into trouble.
User avatar
V5 - LEO
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Posts: 7100
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:18 pm
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Location: Namibia
Has liked: 246 times
Been liked: 271 times

Re: Drone flying on your own Farm?

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:48 am

....ok then when you do just check with SAMAA that the "visitors" has licenses as it falls in the "hobby" category - is that right gents?
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
User avatar
Wonko the Sane
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4290
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm
Closest Airfield: Waterkloof
Location: Centurion
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 121 times

Re: Drone flying on your own Farm?

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:54 am

FDB wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:42 am
Ah ok.
No that is great.
We do not fall in a controlled airspace area then.
I'm just asking because we are on a 780hactare farm close to Cullinan and slowly getting into some Drone Photography as a hobby.
With all our research into the do's and don'ts we quickly realized that there do not seem to be many areas close to PTA where people can go and actually fly their drones so we are thinking about opening the farm up to others in some controlled fashion (Only allowing a certain amount of people at a time or maybe have "Members" that can book visits or something like that to avoid having too many drones in the air at the same time.). No toy drones. Only guys actually into photography/videograpgy and maybe a quad racing club or two for those low height races things they do. Some strict rules like limiting the height, the distance, etc. Not sure yet.

But the last thing we are in the mood for is issues and liability so if those pop up we rather can the idea.
Also do not want to get a surprise if we allow people there, and in a few months some farmer makes his own landing strip we do not know about and we get into trouble.
Please be aware that if you are going to charge people for flying drones on your property, you are opening a new can of worms. Please be very careful in this regard. Download the CAA part 101 and just go through it.

http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/RPAS/Remotel ... stems.aspx

and particularly

http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/RPAS/Private ... tions.aspx

and

http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/RPAS/RPAS%20 ... icate.aspx

and if you then wannt to do it legally

http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/Personnel%20 ... Forms.aspx

W
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux
RPL (MR)
User avatar
Wonko the Sane
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4290
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm
Closest Airfield: Waterkloof
Location: Centurion
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 121 times

Re: Drone flying on your own Farm?

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:57 am

V5 - LEO wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:48 am
....ok then when you do just check with SAMAA that the "visitors" has licenses as it falls in the "hobby" category - is that right gents?
SAMAA has nothing to do with RPL's Leo, they offer only a RPAS Proficiency for clubs that allow flying of drones on their premises.
SACAA are the licence issuers...

W
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux
RPL (MR)
User avatar
V5 - LEO
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Posts: 7100
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:18 pm
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Location: Namibia
Has liked: 246 times
Been liked: 271 times

Re: Drone flying on your own Farm?

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:57 am

Wonko the Sane wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:57 am
V5 - LEO wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:48 am
....ok then when you do just check with SAMAA that the "visitors" has licenses as it falls in the "hobby" category - is that right gents?
SAMAA has nothing to do with RPL's Leo, they offer only a RPAS Proficiency for clubs that allow flying of drones on their premises.
SACAA are the licence issuers...

W
....ah txs Wonko :smt023
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
FDB
Flight Planning
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:36 am
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Drone flying on your own Farm?

Unread post by FDB » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:58 am

Why would people need licenses to just come fly them by us?
We for example have friends that are avid wildlife and landscape photographers that now also want to get into some creative shooting using drones. It would make no sense for them to first get a license just to come hone their drone based photography skills there by us surely?
That is the kind of drone pilots we would like to welcome there. Ones that have no need to fly high and fast. Where the focus is on getting better at drone based photography rather than seeing how high and far and fast they can go.

We also have other friends that participate in quad races. Those guys need a flat open area and do some fast flying but at very very low altitudes.

So both those disciplines we thought would be fine to allow. Neither we believe need any licensing?
User avatar
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 10238
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 354 times

Re: Drone flying on your own Farm?

Unread post by cage » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:59 am

Wonko the Sane wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:57 am
V5 - LEO wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:48 am
....ok then when you do just check with SAMAA that the "visitors" has licenses as it falls in the "hobby" category - is that right gents?
SAMAA has nothing to do with RPL's Leo, they offer only a RPAS Proficiency for clubs that allow flying of drones on their premises.
SACAA are the licence issuers...

W
Isn't the height restriction 150ft but permitted up to 450 if at a registered SAMAA field?
FDB
Flight Planning
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:36 am
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Drone flying on your own Farm?

Unread post by FDB » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:03 pm

Hi Wonko.
Do those things not apply to the pilots rather than the venue that allows people to fly their drones there?
User avatar
Wonko the Sane
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4290
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm
Closest Airfield: Waterkloof
Location: Centurion
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 121 times

Re: Drone flying on your own Farm?

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:07 pm

cage wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:59 am
Wonko the Sane wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:57 am
V5 - LEO wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:48 am
....ok then when you do just check with SAMAA that the "visitors" has licenses as it falls in the "hobby" category - is that right gents?
SAMAA has nothing to do with RPL's Leo, they offer only a RPAS Proficiency for clubs that allow flying of drones on their premises.
SACAA are the licence issuers...

W
Isn't the height restriction 150ft but permitted up to 450 if at a registered SAMAA field?
400ft irrespective of location (many other and/or also to be noted)

W
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux
RPL (MR)
User avatar
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 10238
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 354 times

Re: Drone flying on your own Farm?

Unread post by cage » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:14 pm

Wonko the Sane wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:07 pm
cage wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:59 am
Wonko the Sane wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:57 am


SAMAA has nothing to do with RPL's Leo, they offer only a RPAS Proficiency for clubs that allow flying of drones on their premises.
SACAA are the licence issuers...

W
Isn't the height restriction 150ft but permitted up to 450 if at a registered SAMAA field?
400ft irrespective of location (many other and/or also to be noted)

W
What people don't understand is that 400ft puts you properly in helicopter country in many areas.

Return to “Drones, UAVs”