Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Pretoria

Re: Emigration options

Unread post by Fransw » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:31 pm

paulw wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:35 pm
rainier wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:52 pm
Point of my post was that I am worried about SA companies being poached by other countries.

Don't like this one bit.
How about making use of such an offer to setup a daughter/sister company. HQ here, branch there for sales, etc.

That way you also have a backdoor open for easy transfer Visa should you or anyone else in company want to make use of that.
What are the tax implications with a setup like that Paul?
Gerard Schultz
Rolling
Closest Airfield: So many to choose from
Location: Charleston SC, USA and Port Elizabeth, South Africa.

Unread post by Gerard Schultz » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:53 pm

Fransw,

We can apply for US Citizenship after 5 years of our green cards being issued. Green cards are dated February 2017 so we can apply February 2022. That is before my credit cards need to be renewed!!
"It is nowise foolish to tilt at windmills. Providing you learn to knock them down." - Jeff Cooper
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Fransw » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:23 pm

Gerard Schultz wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:53 pm
Fransw,

We can apply for US Citizenship after 5 years of our green cards being issued. Green cards are dated February 2017 so we can apply February 2022. That is before my credit cards need to be renewed!!
:smt023
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Fransw » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:24 pm

unnamed-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Unread post by paulw » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:37 pm

Fransw wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:31 pm
paulw wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:35 pm
rainier wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:52 pm
Point of my post was that I am worried about SA companies being poached by other countries.

Don't like this one bit.
How about making use of such an offer to setup a daughter/sister company. HQ here, branch there for sales, etc.

That way you also have a backdoor open for easy transfer Visa should you or anyone else in company want to make use of that.
What are the tax implications with a setup like that Paul?
I am not sure exactly. If you setup the daughter company there, then those profits can come to SA without paying tax there as far as I know but will probably depend on their tax laws. Then the local company here pay the tax.
But then if the Canadian Government is involved and want them to move across, then they probably want some deal where the government can gain in the taxes.
I don't know much about this though.
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread post by cage » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:32 pm

As the year draws to a close, I notice everyone looking to be somewhere else is still here, as they were last year.
Looking forward to another year of discussing departing for foreign shores ;)
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Unread post by paulw » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:20 am

cage wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:32 pm
As the year draws to a close, I notice everyone looking to be somewhere else is still here, as they were last year.
:lol: For most it is a difficult decision and a matter of finding a job first which for some especially on SA passport can take a long time (Apply for a job and then wait for Visas) or waiting for something else. I had my reasons as well and said for a long time I will be emigrating and be gone by mid to end 2018 but also got delayed.

I am now leaving end of January and family end of March with the dogs. Reason why they are only leaving then is the one dog failed her blood test which is effectively putting me back by 8 weeks. (waiting 4 weeks for results, then another rabies shot and wait another 31 days before you draw blood again)
But maybe a good thing as now I can look for a house before they come over and family can pack last belongings. I will just come over for a week or so to arrange the last stuff and go with them.

There are one or two on this thread who are not too verbal in what they are up to but actively busy moving.

But if I look around me of people who I personally know who are not on AVCOM....
One just received her Irish passport yesterday or day before and for 90% nailed a job in London and ready to go with a salary 3x what she is earning here.
Another one just got lawyer now to get a Visa for him and family for NZ.
Another 2 collegues have UK Passports and leaving now in December/January with their families. Busy packing up.
Another one who I know but I didn't know about them planning to go until 3 weeks ago is busy with her husband to go to NZ. Should be going early to mid next year.
Another ex-colleague just started a new job 1st of December in Perth.
Another one is actively busy negotiating a contract for a job in Denmark and should be going Q1 next year.

I just spoke to someone in London on Monday who's friends in SA is busy packing up to go to Ireland I think she said.

I belong to Facebook groups for Ireland and UK. Between the two there are families going almost daily.

Someone else in one of the groups said that the International Removal companies battle to keep up. One lady is waiting to get a quote from one specific company but he is too busy packing and shipping peoples stuff that he can't get to her to give her a quote.
He apparently said there are 100 containers per month leaving Durban harbour with household effects of people emigrating.
Now you can figure out that some containers are shared containers between 2+ families.
Lots of people emigrating selling everything and only leaving with suitcases and maybe shipping a few boxes if any. An ex-collegue who left for Denmark 2 months ago did that.

The figures that we see of people emigrating out of SA is not a true reflection of emigration. I don't know how they determine those figures but I assume people financially emigrating with SARB and SARS or Home Affairs. Not many people do a Financial Emigration and I wonder if anyone inform HA that they will be gone forever.
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo

Unread post by Whirly » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:22 am

cage wrote:
I did say I will still be here a few more years, but that does not mean I have not done anything about moving. My overseas bank account has grown quite nicely! :D

Whirly.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
Jel
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FALA

Unread post by Jel » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:16 am

Whirly wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:22 am
cage wrote:
I did say I will still be here a few more years, but that does not mean I have not done anything about moving. My overseas bank account has grown quite nicely! :D

Whirly.
Currency... :?:

Watching that Pound quite closely at the moment...really wishing Teresa would grow a set :lol:
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Whirly » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:20 am

Jel wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:16 am
Whirly wrote:
cage wrote:

Whirly.

Watching that Pound quite closely at the moment...really wishing Teresa would grow a set :lol:
Euro and Pound Sterling.

Whirly.
Jel
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Jel » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:23 am

Whirly wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:20 am
Jel wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:16 am
Whirly wrote:

Whirly.

Euro and Pound Sterling.

Whirly.
USD might hedge it a little... EU not going to be immune from the Brexit issues although they like to think so IMHO... don't want to drift the thread too much... I am sitting with USD and waiting for a no deal, then will transfer into GBP...

Back to emigration :wink: er... the thread still relevant and will be talked about FOREVER in my view... its a current issue for as long as the current government in power which is likely forever 8)
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:48 am

cage wrote:
:lol: But it's not a yardstick of the real happenings out there. As Mike Bolhuis says"people who talk about planning suicide are not the ones who does it " :idea:
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
Jel
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Jel » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:50 am

Marius Schrenk wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:48 am
cage wrote:
:lol: But it's not a yardstick of the real happenings out there. As Mike Bolhuis says"people who talk about planning suicide are not the ones who does it " :idea:
Yup and Cage hasn't realised yet that Avcom is accessible from other countries... Cage... when you are overseas, go into your browser, type in www.avcom.co.za and presto, you will still be here :wink:
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Whirly » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:52 am

Jel,

If Brexit causes the Pound or even Euro to devalue, just think what it will do to the Rand! So it would make no difference to the money I have over there already. :D

Whirly.
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB

Unread post by Iceberg » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:07 am

Whirly wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:52 am
Jel,

If Brexit causes the Pound or even Euro to devalue, just think what it will do to the Rand! So it would make no difference to the money I have over there already. :D

Whirly.
Gold is cheap - so maybe time to hedge with gold ETF's?
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger

Return to “123.45”