When nature calls?...

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

John Hilton
Priming
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 11 times

When nature calls?...

Unread post by John Hilton » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:42 pm

Hey all,

A hypothetical situation I have been thinking about and want some guidance and advice.

The situation:
Flying from Livingstone to Lanseria, in my Sling4 Turbo that is around 4.5-5 hours so no problem for fuel endurance, but possible problem for bladder endurance. Now I am stamped out of Livingstone, overflying a little bit of Zimbabwe, then Botswana and onwards into South African airspace. What happens if the need to for a "number 1", or worse, ""number 2 arises. For argument sake Francistown is in range. Can ATC clear me to land there, and would I have to stamp passport to use the "facilities"? What if there was a serviceable bush strip with plenty of toilet-trees around, could I use it - with ATC approval of course?

What would the standard procedure be in this situation?

It hasn't happened yet, but I have done a few legs from Lanseria to Maun (3.5 to 4 hours) and have managed, albeit just...

Thanks in advance!
John
krjockey
Helicopter getting close
Closest Airfield: Matsapha
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: When nature calls?...

Unread post by krjockey » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:25 pm

A technical stop on a cross border flight can be done at a port of entry, so Francistown will be fine. There would be no need to be stamped if you stay airside.
Dragon
Returning to aircraft
Closest Airfield: Morning Star
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by Dragon » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:30 pm

There are others better suited to giving you a full reply but I can give you half an answer.
That is, that the most important thing you can do is prevention.

So unless you suffer from kidney stones you can restrict your fluid intake (within reason) beforehand and obviously avoid diuretics like tea and coffee.

Then if you anticipate further emergencies you can go one of two routes if you are male. 1)Either keep an empty 2l coke bottle stashed away if you have the space, or more fancy, one of the collapsible drinking bladders(easier to collapse), or 2) go to the trouble of acquiring an adult nappy(and a checkers packet), which has the added advantage of coping to a certain degree with a number 2, although that would be a very bad day at the office!

If this is a recurrent theme then go to the trouble of installing a pee tube. The Venturi sucks it out neatly and you can also get a "Lady Jane" adapter for your companion.

But I hear you - if you have to land, you have to land.
bosvark
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Rhinopark
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by bosvark » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:45 am

2l Coke bottle. Too much volume (space) than needed and too little opening. Will be a tight squeeze .......or a tight aim.
Evans VP 1 ZU - VPI (Work in progress)
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Iceberg » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:56 am

I have an empty margarine container with a lid that seals well. (The large round one)
Plus a bogroll if needed.
Only for emergency use of course. :lol:

Wait for smooth air and switch on the autopilot.

Good for no. 1 or 2. :wink:
Only ever rarely used it for no. 1 though.

If you are going up high where it is cold and your heater is not functioning properly - take warm clothes, especially for your legs.
As you know the cold will shrink your body to retain heat and will deposit the extra fluid in your bladder.
Last edited by Iceberg on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 120 times

Unread post by cage » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:56 am

AnAV8R
Reaching altitude
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by AnAV8R » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:33 am

:shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kwest
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAGC + FALA
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by kwest » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:50 pm

Condom in a sick bag works a treat. Just make sure you dispose of the wrappers before you ever tidy up your flight bag on the lounge floor....
Keith Stannard.

"I've got wild staring eyes. And I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
The Hun
Taxiing
Closest Airfield: Silver Creek
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by The Hun » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:53 pm

First thing I installed in my Cubby, was a funnel and a pipe leading outside
Mags On
Closest Airfield: FACT
Been liked: 0

Unread post by 426306 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:12 pm

HTH Bottle.
CWS
Heli Pilot agrees to buy Super.
Closest Airfield: Morningstar

Unread post by CWS » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:15 pm

426306 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:12 pm
HTH Bottle.
Just make sure it’s got no product in it. Years ago we had one that was not properly cleaned out on a trip to Kariba. Once used starts producing vapor and heats up. Could have become very dangerous if it hadn’t fitted through the storm window😀
chrisbe20
Priming
Closest Airfield: Lanseria

Unread post by chrisbe20 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:24 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: I used to fly Beechcraft 1900's on contract in some very friendly areas such as Somalia, Chad, Mali, Niger. This has reminded me of the very serious Africa Belly I used to get (the chicken wings that had more fluff than my dog where a great laxative). We sometimes flew 4hr sectors and I can't even explain some of the "facilities" at "airports" I have used.

Worst is when it hits you just as the pax are boarding, I guess I trained my stomach and that other part to just hold on and have peaceful thoughts :roll:

Unfortunately over a two year period only one of these 1900's had an actual toilet. When I found a toilet at an "airport" well...I'll let your imagination guess what the toilet looked like (nothing better than sitting in a green box, when lucky in 46 degree heat), very lucky if water was available :?

In any event, I managed by limiting my food intake, carrying toilet paper at all times, disinfectant wipes, sanitizer and absolutely no chilli in my food :lol: (Oh, how I missed beloved Chilli).
chrisbe20
Priming
Closest Airfield: Lanseria

Unread post by chrisbe20 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:39 pm

The Hun wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:53 pm
First thing I installed in my Cubby, was a funnel and a pipe leading outside
Heard of a guy back in the day of Rhodesia, he had a funnel fitted into his PA235 with one of those old venturi gyro systems still seen on some old 172's due to a bad bladder...apparently on the first use it sucked his job into it so bad he made an emergency landing. :shock:
ddevos
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAVV
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by ddevos » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:58 pm

chrisbe20 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:39 pm
... with one of those old venturi gyro systems still seen on some old 172's ...
Interestingly you can see those venturis on some brand new aircraft as well after all these years.
Dirk de Vos

If you don't gear up your brain before takeoff, you'll probably gear up your airplane on landing.
Frank Persson
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Baragwanath Rand
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by Frank Persson » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:35 am

In gliding we use pee bags which crystalise on contact with urine. No smell. Can accommodate over a liter. Very compact re storage.Also has a template to accommodate woman.
of all the things I miss, I miss my mind the most

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”