TV about to change in SA

Aviation Trivia, Jokes & Humour

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Posts: 7364
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:46 pm
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Location: Port Elizabeth
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 108 times

Re: TV about to change in SA

Unread post by Roger » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:17 am

...and in other news:

IMDb Freedive – Like Netflix, but with adverts: https://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadcas ... verts.html
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
User avatar
Christo
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Posts: 7737
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:01 am
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: TV about to change in SA

Unread post by Christo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:27 am

Roger wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:17 am
...and in other news:

IMDb Freedive – Like Netflix, but with adverts: https://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadcas ... verts.html
yeah saw that some time ago, forgot to go try it out. It's just for US though at the moment so you will need a VPN. Thanx for reminding me!
Due to the price increase in ammunition, do not expect a warning shot.

Sig Sauer, kinda like Glock except for men.
User avatar
SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2662
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 11:01 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: Arse-end of Centurion
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: TV about to change in SA

Unread post by SlowApproach » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:42 am

Freedive nothing to write home about at this time. The stuff on there are like discards from long ago (kinda reminds me of DStv's repeated repeat playlists :lol:). Things like "Last Action Hero"...

(Not that the movies are necessarily bad, but geez, how many times must one want to watch the same things over and over - especially when they are streamed from elsewhere without the many annoying ads in-between)
Behind every angry woman is a man who has absolutely no idea what he did wrong.
User avatar
Christo
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Posts: 7737
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:01 am
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: TV about to change in SA

Unread post by Christo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:46 pm

Hulu responds to US Netflix pricehike.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/23/1819 ... ve-tv-2019

Edit: Ok it's not an apples vs apples comparison
Due to the price increase in ammunition, do not expect a warning shot.

Sig Sauer, kinda like Glock except for men.
User avatar
SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2662
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 11:01 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: Arse-end of Centurion
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: TV about to change in SA

Unread post by SlowApproach » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:18 pm

For free streaming, Sony Crackle is lekka. (Just need to run it through a VPN of course, because, as usual, Saffers don't figure anywhere in a global reach :wink:). Although it has some (expected) ad breaks during a movie (or series episode) they are nevertheless entertaining 'cos they are so different from our inane local ads and seldom repeat within a particular viewing session.
Behind every angry woman is a man who has absolutely no idea what he did wrong.
User avatar
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4272
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:48 pm
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Location: Wonderboom
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: TV about to change in SA

Unread post by paulw » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:26 pm

Has anyone used Unlocator?
https://unlocator.com/

Seems cheap enough and also allow multiple devices and multiple regions at the same time. IE, you want to watch USA Netflix, Wife wants to watch Kyknet on DSTV.
.
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
User avatar
SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2662
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 11:01 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: Arse-end of Centurion
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: TV about to change in SA

Unread post by SlowApproach » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:22 pm

Unlocator is pretty ok. However, it is basically a DNS proxy service (albeit quite a sophisticated one) whereas Windscribe, the service I prefer (using the downloadable app, not the proxy-based Browser extension that they can also provide, is a proper VPN (uses the OpenVPN and IKEv2 protocols). I've also used NordVPN (and others) in the past but I now prefer Windscribe as it seems a bit less troublesome in many respects and super-easy to use.

Apart from paying a subscription for unlimited use, you can actually also use Windscribe for free for as long as you like, the only proviso being a 10Gb monthly limit and fewer base countries to choose from. (10Gb is not a lot when streaming but it does at least give one the opportunity to "trial" for way longer than most).

As the VPN approach is an "all or nothing" kind of network connection thing, Unlocator is probably better suited to your need for multiple "regional connections" at the same time. (And as long as you are willing to forego the benefits of using a proper VPN of course).
Behind every angry woman is a man who has absolutely no idea what he did wrong.
User avatar
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4272
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:48 pm
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Location: Wonderboom
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: TV about to change in SA

Unread post by paulw » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:52 am

SlowApproach wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:22 pm
Unlocator is pretty ok. However, it is basically a DNS proxy service (albeit quite a sophisticated one) whereas Windscribe, the service I prefer (using the downloadable app, not the proxy-based Browser extension that they can also provide, is a proper VPN (uses the OpenVPN and IKEv2 protocols). I've also used NordVPN (and others) in the past but I now prefer Windscribe as it seems a bit less troublesome in many respects and super-easy to use.

Apart from paying a subscription for unlimited use, you can actually also use Windscribe for free for as long as you like, the only proviso being a 10Gb monthly limit and fewer base countries to choose from. (10Gb is not a lot when streaming but it does at least give one the opportunity to "trial" for way longer than most).

As the VPN approach is an "all or nothing" kind of network connection thing, Unlocator is probably better suited to your need for multiple "regional connections" at the same time. (And as long as you are willing to forego the benefits of using a proper VPN of course).
Thanks, will try both and see how it go's
.
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
User avatar
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9576
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: TV about to change in SA

Unread post by cage » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:17 pm

VPN's offer the worst performance for streaming.
DNS proxies do a good job without the overhead of a vpn.
Most commercial DNS proxies include VPN as a benefit.
Mine even has a DNS via VPN option which allows you to do DNS masking anywhere you are but avoids routing any other traffic over the VPN.

Never had an issue with DNS proxies and for a couple of dollars a month it is a bargain.

I happily manage multiple 4K streams no problem.
Skymaster
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:32 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Location: Johannesburg
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Re: TV about to change in SA

Unread post by Skymaster » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:15 pm

Download Modbro - it's FREE
I watched premier league soccer last night.
And there is live TV from around the world as well as free sport, Tv series, movies etc.
Together with Vader, Morpheus. "Live TV" and a few others I stream over 2500 channels!!
You need a minimum of 20Megs fibre.
And some are still paying for DSTV????
User avatar
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Posts: 7364
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:46 pm
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Location: Port Elizabeth
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 108 times

Re: TV about to change in SA

Unread post by Roger » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:42 am

Cant 'cut the chord' until have access to Rugby (especially since World Cup year) and F1.
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
User avatar
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9576
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: TV about to change in SA

Unread post by cage » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:06 am

Roger wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:42 am
Cant 'cut the chord' until have access to Rugby (especially since World Cup year) and F1.
Use some schmucks dstv now login - though the quality is rubbish for live broadcasts.
Can usually get major international sport from offshore sources easily enough.
User avatar
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4272
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:48 pm
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Location: Wonderboom
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: TV about to change in SA

Unread post by paulw » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:38 pm

Skymaster wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:15 pm
Download Modbro - it's FREE
I watched premier league soccer last night.
And there is live TV from around the world as well as free sport, Tv series, movies etc.
Together with Vader, Morpheus. "Live TV" and a few others I stream over 2500 channels!!
You need a minimum of 20Megs fibre.
And some are still paying for DSTV????
I have Modbro on my Android box. Managed to view reasonably ok with 8mbps but sometimes with buffering or cutting out, but have about 35mbps Wireless connection now since 2 hours ago.
So Modbro should work nicely then.

DSTV Live work fine on 2-3mbps. Thats what I used for the past two weeks on cellphone 3G (Can't even get 4G here in the country/bundus)

Will play tonight :lol:
.
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
User avatar
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Posts: 7364
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:46 pm
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Location: Port Elizabeth
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 108 times

Re: TV about to change in SA

Unread post by Roger » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:14 pm

I see there are many sources for modbro and mobdro. Nothing in play store. Which is the official one?
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
User avatar
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9576
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: TV about to change in SA

Unread post by cage » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:10 pm

I see it is being reported in the UK press that in the last year 1M people cancelled their TV license as a result of streaming services.
Granted they have a much larger group that subscribes to the BBC fee than we do.

(That's a loss of 150M GBP, if you were wondering)

Return to “123.45”