Moderator: Moderators

Float_flyer
Engine full power confirmed
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Avcom losing valuable contributors.

Unread post by Float_flyer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:40 pm

I recently came across an interesting opinion on the state of interpersonal communication

The opinion stated that society has moved to a “feelings are more important than facts” approach, and points direct to widespread lack of critical thinking and narcissism

People must accept that what is “said” online has the same legal responsibility as if in real life

I personally don’t give a damn when a person gives opinions without substantive facts, even if they are perceived as insulting or judge mental (except my wife)

You decide how to react to another’s opinion/facts/statements etc.

If you are of opinion that you have been wronged by it, do something about it. Not just a Mod pm, but a legal response.

The sayings goes

“if you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen”
“sticks and stones”
“don’t throw rocks if you live in a glass house”
“get back on the horse”
“put your money where your mouth is”
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle
Bearcat
thirty thousand
thirty thousand
Closest Airfield: Grand Central
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 449 times

Unread post by Bearcat » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:58 pm

jimdavis wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:19 pm

I believe your second comment about Hierarchy is not accurate. It works in almost every instance where people gather. It works in the home, it works in a mountaineering club, it works in business, in the office, the movie industry and sports. In fact I am hard pushed to find a place where it doesn't work. Those who don't recognise it in the disciplined environment of aviation are likely to come short.

The last two paragraphs are perhaps examples covert disrespect hiding behind sarcasm and a wink.

I am being blunt because this is a time for honesty. I trust my remarks show no disrespect, they are not intended that way.

jim
Hi Jim, I dont have a pilots licence, I have zero hours PIC, I dont own a plane..and for that matter I dont have any qualification in photography :shock:
I guess that rules me clean out of Avcom :lol:
SaraLima
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASH and Morningstar
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by SaraLima » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:19 pm

SlowApproach wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:50 am
My "real name" is Wooly Cockburn. (Now do you see why I don't want to use it here? :lol:)
And my real name is Ivor Biggin - same problem :lol:
There are three simple rules for making a perfect landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
I was flying in uniform when you were still in liquid form :wink:
SaraLima
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by SaraLima » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:31 pm

jimdavis wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:06 am
Yep, we have been down this road many times - but that doesn't make the status quo the best option.

I think pseudonyms stink and are cowardly. Business owners who are polite and friendly on Avcom can only enhance their businesses. But I do agree that employed airline pilots might not be able to express their views freely. Simple - let them keep their pseudonyms with (COM) in brackets after their names - then we all know that they have a good reason for hiding.

But for the rest, people who haven't got the guts to put their names to their opinions, don't deserve to be taken seriously.

Do I feel strongly about this? Yes - VERY.

jim
I must confess, Jim, that I feel somewhat hurt by your comments.. particularly as I wear my nom de plume very transparently and with much levity. It even helps me adopt a different persona and voice when I write.. :shock:

However, that said, it IS a form of protection in this modern, interconnected, privacy-free age in which we live. And for that reason, whether AVcom is an "old boys club" or not, I will continue to use it, even if it means that I will not deserve to be taken seriously here :)
There are three simple rules for making a perfect landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
SaraLima
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by SaraLima » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:02 pm

Pseudonym, or full name.. Unless we have physically met, or you post your facepic as an avatar, you are still anonymous..and I wouldn't know Brian Wiggle (name) from BeesWax (pseudonym) anyway.. so whats all the guff about? You can be as insulting as you wish.. I still don't know you.. and you still don't know me. :D Water and duck's backs comes to mind... :wink:

The problem in AvCom goes a lot deeper than mere pseudonyms.
Jean Crous
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASX
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 48 times

Unread post by Jean Crous » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:04 pm

jimdavis wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:08 am
SlowApproach wrote:
My "real name" is Wooly Cockburn. (Now do you see why I don't want to use it here? :lol:)
WC - why not just use your initials? :lol:

jim
Because Sir Jim, that is equally as bad , for in German a "WC" aka Wasser Closette , is a lllllllooooooo !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jean.
Cubby Aircraft Factory
New front seat solo Cubby MK2
Powered by a Rotax 912 engine
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 236 times
Been liked: 238 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:11 pm

Float_flyer wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:40 pm
I recently came across an interesting opinion on the state of interpersonal communication

The opinion stated that society has moved to a “feelings are more important than facts” approach, and points direct to widespread lack of critical thinking and narcissism

People must accept that what is “said” online has the same legal responsibility as if in real life
Wow, FF, I find that very interesting would you like to PM me a link to the article or discussion, please?

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by jimdavis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:13 pm

Jean Crous wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:04 pm
jimdavis wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:08 am
SlowApproach wrote:
WC - why not just use your initials? :lol:

jim
Because Sir Jim, that is equally as bad , for in German a "WC" aka Wasser Closette , is a lllllllooooooo !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jean.
Indeed JC. That was intentional! :lol:

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by jimdavis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:17 pm

SaraLima wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:31 pm
I must confess, Jim, that I feel somewhat hurt by your comments..
Indeed Owen, but you can't possibly think that was accidental. :lol:

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Christo
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by Christo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:28 pm

Bearcat wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:58 pm
jimdavis wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:19 pm

I believe your second comment about Hierarchy is not accurate. It works in almost every instance where people gather. It works in the home, it works in a mountaineering club, it works in business, in the office, the movie industry and sports. In fact I am hard pushed to find a place where it doesn't work. Those who don't recognise it in the disciplined environment of aviation are likely to come short.

The last two paragraphs are perhaps examples covert disrespect hiding behind sarcasm and a wink.

I am being blunt because this is a time for honesty. I trust my remarks show no disrespect, they are not intended that way.

jim
Hi Jim, I dont have a pilots licence, I have zero hours PIC, I dont own a plane..and for that matter I dont have any qualification in photography :shock:
I guess that rules me clean out of Avcom :lol:
Ridiculous isn't it?!?!?
Due to the price increase in ammunition, do not expect a warning shot.

Sig Sauer, kinda like Glock except for men.
Joe S
Pre-take off checks
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Joe S » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:31 pm

I have a professional life and a private life and do not mix the two, as I need time away from my professional life to remain sane. Flying falls into my private life and I want it to stay that way, in the inter connected world we live in it is not that simple thus the need by some for pseudonyms.

In my professional life my online profile attracts a steady stream of unsolicited communications which I can do without. For me flying is about going flying with friends where everyone is there for the enjoyment of flying and your professional life is not relevant.

If AVCOM wants to appeal to a broad base the separation some of us require between our private lives and professional lives needs to be respected.
southside
HASSELL checks
Closest Airfield: around
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by southside » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:10 pm

I find it ironic that the OP posted under a pseudonym.

As far as I know, you can put your real name in your signature at the bottom of the post.

I can put my real name as Jon Macey if I like...how will mods police this? Will we need a certified copy of our ID and proof of residence to register?

I think it is silly to worry about a topic like this. Let it be...once you have lurked the halls of avcom you get to know which posters have merit, real name or not. The k@k talkers and trolls are easily seen through and weeded out.

If it bothers you that much then dont read it
Wonko the Sane
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Waterkloof
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:15 pm

southside wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:10 pm

As far as I know, you can put your real name in your signature at the bottom of the post.

Yes you can.... 8)

W
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux
RPL (MR)
Multirotordronepilot
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Grootfontein
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:39 pm

southside wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:10 pm

I can put my real name as Jon Macey if I like...how will mods police this? Will we need a certified copy of our ID and proof of residence to register?

I think it is silly to worry about a topic like this. Let it be...once you have lurked the halls of avcom you get to know which posters have merit, real name or not. The k@k talkers and trolls are easily seen through and weeded out.

If it bothers you that much then dont read it

In my opinion many have missed Goose's intentions which I think had very little to do with pseudonyms ( can't stand the word ) although he did make mention of. I think his message was that the level of disrespect shown by members towards each other whether they fly under their real name or not has become a concern and possibly a reason why some people have withdrawn.
Trevor
Defense Contractor/Test Pilot
Commercial pilot,Instructor
Responsible Person Aircraft
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
BVM F80 ShootingStar
1/3 J3 Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Clipped Wing Cub Replica ZU-XXX
If flying slow isn't fun, you're doing it wrong
Float_flyer
Engine full power confirmed
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Float_flyer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:21 pm

jimdavis wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:11 pm
Float_flyer wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:40 pm

Wow, FF, I find that very interesting would you like to PM me a link to the article or discussion, please?

jim
It was a YouTube suggested documentary I watched a while back. I’ll see if I can track it down again
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”