Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Aviation Trivia, Jokes & Humour

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
danie.e
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3525
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:13 pm
Closest Airfield: Henley
Location: Vereeniging
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 18 times

Re: Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Unread post by danie.e » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:44 pm

Speculation is rife but remember one truth: Where there is smoke, there is fire
Danie.e
Don't just stik it, Drastik it
S.A. Agent for ASP Engines, CY Models, King Max servos and Amass servo leads. Reseller of RCGF Petrol engines, Smartfly powerboxes, SkyRC Chargers and Power Supplies - http://www.aspaviation.co.za
User avatar
skytrooper
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:39 pm
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Unread post by skytrooper » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:53 pm

Jack Welles wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:55 am
snoopy wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:02 pm
Kathu Solar Park provides 100 MW at a project cost of R12 Billion, now supplying 179 000 homes, and is owned in part to the Government Pension Fund. Another clean power project Koeberg; generates 1830 MW by comparison.
Koeberg is fantastic, having already paid for itself the cost of electricity is virtually (but not quite :D ) free. It's certainly by far the cheapest producer in SA. That's why it's such a pity that new nuclear is just too expensive for SA currently. I'm still wondering if the pebblebed modular version might still end up being a viable alternative. The trouble with solar etc is that you still need base load for when the sun don't shine and the wind don't blow. Pity about the screwups with Medupi and Kusile and let's hope that the foreign experts that have been called in can sort it at not too high a price! 8-[
Nuclear is by far not "clean" for one and for two, you don't want these dangerous plants be run by those not caring about it's strict regulations but wait, do they even know how to maintain it. Scrap nuclear entirely.
Ubluwulululululu....!
User avatar
Wonko the Sane
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4066
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm
Closest Airfield: Waterkloof
Location: Centurion
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:40 pm

danie.e wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:44 pm
Speculation is rife but remember one truth: Where there is smoke, there is fire
There is fire alright... just not under the boilers and maintenance staff of eksdom...


W
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux
RPL (MR)
User avatar
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3255
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:15 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Muizenberg
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 99 times

Re: Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Unread post by Jack Welles » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:28 am

:lol: Houston we have a problem ...

According to the combined wisdom of Avcommers:

We can't have more nuclear because the current crowd don't know how to deal with sophisticated modern technologies ...
We can't have more renewables because Slick Cyril (or his family) will steal all the money ...
We can't fix the existing malfunctioning coal-fired power stations because they're beyond saving ...

Does that more or less sum it all up? :lol:
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
User avatar
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2572
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:09 pm
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Unread post by Iceberg » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:33 am

Jack Welles wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:28 am
:lol: Houston we have a problem ...

According to the combined wisdom of Avcommers:

We can't have more nuclear because the current crowd don't know how to deal with sophisticated modern technologies ...
We can't have more renewables because Slick Cyril (or his family) will steal all the money ...
We can't fix the existing malfunctioning coal-fired power stations because they're beyond saving ...

Does that more or less sum it all up? :lol:
Yes. In short, we are screwed.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
User avatar
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3255
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:15 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Muizenberg
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 99 times

Re: Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Unread post by Jack Welles » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:18 am

Iceberg wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:33 am
Jack Welles wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:28 am
:lol: Houston we have a problem ...

According to the combined wisdom of Avcommers:

We can't have more nuclear because the current crowd don't know how to deal with sophisticated modern technologies ...
We can't have more renewables because Slick Cyril (or his family) will steal all the money ...
We can't fix the existing malfunctioning coal-fired power stations because they're beyond saving ...

Does that more or less sum it all up? :lol:
Yes. In short, we are screwed.
Clearly 8-[ -- I can see only three ways of dealing with this:
1) I sit here in Muizies drinking chilled Pinot Grigio and checking out the surfer chicks while waiting for armageddon or
2) I sit here in Muizies drinking chilled Pinot Grigio and checking out the surfer chicks while contemplating emigration or
3) I sit here in Muizies drinking chilled Pinot Grigio and checking out the surfer chicks while wondering which of the previous two would be most appropriate.

Signed: Confused in Muizies :?
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
User avatar
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9658
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 145 times

Re: Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Unread post by cage » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:23 am

Negativity is like a social cancer.
It spreads and eats away at everyone who comes into contact with it.

Being positive isn't about ignoring problems or pretending they are not there, it's about not being consumed by all the noise around you.
Nothing sadder than seeing educated men that have been overcome by the emotional side of their brain and have lost any and all perspective.

Eddie, it's best to just avoid the toxic environment..
User avatar
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2572
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:09 pm
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Unread post by Iceberg » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:26 am

Jack Welles wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:18 am
Iceberg wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:33 am
Jack Welles wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:28 am
:lol: Houston we have a problem ...

According to the combined wisdom of Avcommers:

We can't have more nuclear because the current crowd don't know how to deal with sophisticated modern technologies ...
We can't have more renewables because Slick Cyril (or his family) will steal all the money ...
We can't fix the existing malfunctioning coal-fired power stations because they're beyond saving ...

Does that more or less sum it all up? :lol:
Yes. In short, we are screwed.
Clearly 8-[ -- I can see only three ways of dealing with this:
1) I sit here in Muizies drinking chilled Pinot Grigio and checking out the surfer chicks while waiting for armageddon or
2) I sit here in Muizies drinking chilled Pinot Grigio and checking out the surfer chicks while contemplating emigration or
3) I sit here in Muizies drinking chilled Pinot Grigio and checking out the surfer chicks while wondering which of the previous two would be most appropriate.

Signed: Confused in Muizies :?
As Cage says, don't be negative.
I'm seeing the solar guy tomorrow. Bye bye Eskom...
'n Boer maak 'n plan.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
User avatar
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3255
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:15 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Muizenberg
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 99 times

Re: Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Unread post by Jack Welles » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:52 am

cage wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:23 am
Negativity is like a social cancer.
It spreads and eats away at everyone who comes into contact with it.

Eddie, it's best to just avoid the toxic environment..
Alas! My fervent belief that logic and clear thinking would find a way has been decimated! Oh! Woe is me!

Stuck with sitting in the sunshine drinking chilled Pinot Grigio and checking out the surfer chicks while contemplating the follies of mankind 8-[
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
User avatar
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4938
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 49 times

Re: Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Unread post by Fransw » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:55 am

Jack Welles wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:52 am
cage wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:23 am
Negativity is like a social cancer.
It spreads and eats away at everyone who comes into contact with it.

Eddie, it's best to just avoid the toxic environment..
Alas! My fervent belief that logic and clear thinking would find a way has been decimated! Oh! Woe is me!

Stuck with sitting in the sunshine drinking chilled Pinot Grigio and checking out the surfer chicks while contemplating the follies of mankind 8-[
Ed, isn't it a bit early for chilled Pinot blabla? :wink:
User avatar
Wonko the Sane
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4066
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm
Closest Airfield: Waterkloof
Location: Centurion
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:01 am

Fransw wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:55 am
Jack Welles wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:52 am
cage wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:23 am
Negativity is like a social cancer.
It spreads and eats away at everyone who comes into contact with it.

Eddie, it's best to just avoid the toxic environment..
Alas! My fervent belief that logic and clear thinking would find a way has been decimated! Oh! Woe is me!

Stuck with sitting in the sunshine drinking chilled Pinot Grigio and checking out the surfer chicks while contemplating the follies of mankind 8-[
Ed, isn't it a bit early for chilled Pinot blabla? :wink:
Fransw

Most places that serve alcoholic beverages in the lower cape, have world clocks against the walls. So you pick a country where it is past the suitable hour and "Voila!", your beverage is served without reserve....

W
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux
RPL (MR)
User avatar
SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2704
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 11:01 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: Arse-end of Centurion
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 31 times

Re: Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Unread post by SlowApproach » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:03 am

JW, you have a fourth item you also need to contemplate: When the 'lectric punches out big-time, wondering how you are going to chill your Pinot Grigio while contemplating all the other stuff :lol:
Behind every angry woman is a man who has absolutely no idea what he did wrong.
User avatar
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3255
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:15 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Muizenberg
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 99 times

Re: Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Unread post by Jack Welles » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:30 am

SlowApproach wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:03 am
JW, you have a fourth item you also need to contemplate: When the 'lectric punches out big-time, wondering how you are going to chill your Pinot Grigio while contemplating all the other stuff :lol:
Room temperature beer, pommie style? :wink:
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
User avatar
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9658
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 145 times

Re: Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Unread post by cage » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:34 am

Jack Welles wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:30 am
SlowApproach wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:03 am
JW, you have a fourth item you also need to contemplate: When the 'lectric punches out big-time, wondering how you are going to chill your Pinot Grigio while contemplating all the other stuff :lol:
Room temperature beer, pommie style? :wink:
The freezer should keep ice cold for a few days, should provide enough pondering time ;)
rainier
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1188
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:33 am
Location: Somerset West
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: Eskom (aka we want mo' money) load shedding - here we go again!

Unread post by rainier » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:16 am

SlowApproach wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:03 am
JW, you have a fourth item you also need to contemplate: When the 'lectric punches out big-time, wondering how you are going to chill your Pinot Grigio while contemplating all the other stuff :lol:
Same way I do it ?
Sit on my porch flooded in light provided by my batteries and fridge and freezer humming away - courtesy of my solar system, all the while contemplating how much better the night sky looks now that load shedding has darkened the town.

Having said that - it's not as good as it used to be, I gather at least 30% of the homes visible from my porch have some or other backup now without generator noise disturbing quiet contemplations - judging by the amount of lights that stay on.

Boer makes a plan. Not so ?
Who said the sky is the limit ? I think not.

Return to “123.45”