Airline maximum entry age

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

Airwayfreak
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 53 times

Airline maximum entry age

Unread post by Airwayfreak » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:37 am

I was chatting to a young person the other day who has just completed their CPL at the age of 30, total flying time just under 300 hours. At this age/experience, I believe the options become limited in terms of employment opportunities with the airlines being right at the bottom of the opportunity list.

Fortunately, this person has no aspirations of becoming an airline pilot and I felt a small sense of relief as I would have hated the thought that they saw themselves sitting left-hand seat in a wide body long hauler anytime soon. Plenty of other opportunities come to mind such as bush flying, corporate jets etc but to begin an airline career at this stage of their flying career may just be a tad difficult, not impossible of course, but maybe just too late.

What are the thoughts.
Burner
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 99 times

Re: Airline maximum entry age

Unread post by Burner » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:50 am

30 years old with a fresh CPL is definitely not going to put this person on the back foot getting into an
airline. The only exception to this, would be perhaps entry into a fully sponsored cadet program (of which SA hasn't had one for many years), like they have in Europe.

I know of colleagues of mine, who have recently got their first airline job in South Africa, in their late 40's.

The way the industry is moving right now... they could well end up in the right seat of a domestic airline, within a few years. Potentially, depending on their career decisions, P2 on a wide body within 5 years.

They still have a potential 35 years of airline flying ahead of her, should she decide to follow that path.

A lot of companies will actually will count their 12 years out of school, and previous work experience, massively in their favour.
Last edited by Burner on Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Airwayfreak
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 53 times

Unread post by Airwayfreak » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:31 pm

Burner wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:50 am

The way the industry is moving right now... they could well end up in the right seat of a domestic airline, within a few years. Potentially, depending on their career decisions, P2 on a wide body within 5 years.

They still has a potential 35 years of airline flying ahead of her, should she decide to follow that path.
I would be interested to hear what career decisions you refer to. Oh and it was a guy, not a girl :lol: :lol:
Burner
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 99 times

Unread post by Burner » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:40 pm

Airwayfreak wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:31 pm
Burner wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:50 am

They still has a potential 35 years of airline flying ahead of her, should she decide to follow that path.
I would be interested to hear what career decisions you refer to. Oh and it was a guy, not a girl :lol: :lol:
It was with reference to the statement saying that he has no aspiration into an airline job. I.e. If they don't set an airline job as their initial goal, and stay in corporate, contract or instruction for example... they could still end up at an airline job somewhere down the road (if they chose), albeit taking a longer amount of time to get there.

However if the initial goal is airlines, and they follow the right path, then an airline job is easily attainable.

A few examples of some of my former first officers.

One came from a year of instruction. Did 10 months on the 1900 with me. Then got a job with a local contract 737 freight outfit for just under a year, now finds himself flying for one of the bright coloured 737 operators in SA. From fresh CPL to local airline FO in 4 years.

Another went Fresh CPL to another 1900 operator for a year, then my outfit for a year, and ended up in an ERJ for Link.

It all depends on where you set your sights. Other have moved on rapidly into corporate jet jobs, and work abroad. Most of them were in their late late 20's - late 30's.
Brand
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: ORTIA
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 35 times

Unread post by Brand » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:17 pm

Happens often...

38 year old(then) ex-student of mine did his CPL about 10 years ago - now flying for Emirates.

Another flew his first hour at 42(after leaving wine farming) - was in the airlines by 47.

Another 34 year old (then) did his CPL with me about 10 years ago - now at Air NZ.

They all have one thing in common (apart from being "old") - they had a lot of maturity.
Attitude determines Altitude - in Flying and in Life........

Brand Wessels

Return to “Airline Chatter”