Dirkboots
Ooops forgot to turn the fuel back on!
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Emigration - Lessons Learned

Unread post by Dirkboots » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:55 pm

Howzit Avcommers,

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that has noticed this, but it really astonishes me as to how many models go on the market due to okes immigrating. This is only for RC Modelers, which is a small reflection of the actual amount of families immigrating. Last week on BussinessTech I read an article stating that at any given time, 14% of the properties on the market is being sold due to families immigrating. This is scary, since the average property is sold within 16 weeks.

I did a quick search on in the model classifieds section using keyword "immigrating", and found 10 users (24 matches) from December till now. That means, in the last 4 months, 10 avcommers decided to sell their models due to immigration.

Now this post is not to debate the reasons as to why people are leaving SA, we all know the real underlying truth. Looking at this statistics, it is clear that there is a large group of Citizens that want to immigrate, including me. Each one has their own reasons, and I believe there is mutual reasons as well.

However, I do believe there is a much larger group that wish they could immigrate but do not meet their own personal requirements in order to do so (i.e family, business, illness and age), do not have the financial means to do so or simply put, is not aware of the many different methods there is to start the immigration process and gain a permanent resident visa, hence the reason for this post.

I would like to use this forum as an opportunity for those who are fortunate enough (or know of those who is) to immigrate. I would like you to share your experience and knowledge as well as lessons learned with those who wish to immigrate.

The type of information that I would like to see is as follow:

1. Which country do you believe is the best suited for South Africans?
2. Which country do you know is the easiest to get a permanent visa?
3. What method is most economical to immigrate?
4. What method is the quickest to immigrate?
5. Lessons learned and information you wish you had before (what would you do differently?)
6. Is it worth working through agency or immigration attorneys
7. At what cost?

Please, can we also get realistic answers based on the ordinary South African. Not all South Africans has siblings or parrents living overseas, or have R15mil to invest. Although is certainly does help.

Please refrain from any negative or racial remarks. Thanks.
Last edited by Dirkboots on Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh? So you want to argue? BRING IT! I got my caps lock On!!
Heineman
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: MRF Pretoria
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Immigrating - Lessons Learned

Unread post by Heineman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:38 pm

Dirk
I am also in the proses of leaving on my way to NZ.
I was in Australia in January because I had to see for myself what will be install for me when I leave. Australia is not an option for me. The Visa will cost me R180 000 excluding conrainer and other cost Agent cost also R100k everything has lots of red tape. To put your trust in a agent in not an option for me. Leaving is a hard thing to do but because of my children I have to do it. Lets leave it at that.
Planes wirh Futaba
Bryden
Engine Run ups
Closest Airfield: Springs
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Bryden » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:32 am

If you used the correct word, emigrating, you may get many more hits. immigrate is to come in. 8) 8) :D
Carf Edge 540 35% GP123 v2
Pilot Edge 540 37% GP123 v2 ( 2 of )
Sukhoi SU26 33% GP 88 ( 2 of )
H9 Stick 35cc DLE 35
Pulse 125 Saito 125a
Pulse 60 OS 95
Drastik 60 OS 75
Piper Pawnee 33% DLE 120
A bunch of electric foamies, for which, apologies.
cabeng
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rotorua -NZRO
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by cabeng » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:45 am

We left SA 3 years ago and came to NZ
Firstly i must say that it is illegal for me to give immigration advice to anyone coming to NZ as i am not a legal agent ( yip its the law) however everything you need to know is on The INZ website,
We had no "funnies " ie. No sickness. No police clearance issues and were able to adequately proove relationship and qualifications so have obtained resadency without the services of an agent ( saved big money) the entire process cost about R250 000.00 including a container. This covered amongst others. Visas. Medicals. Plane tickets. Pocket money/living moneyfor first month. House deposit (rental) and a cheap car (R12 000, yes that cheap. 3 years on still have it )
These users liked the author cabeng for the post:
rare bird
Clearly Weekends are made in china . They simply dont last !
extra300s
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Malmesbury

Unread post by extra300s » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:07 am

Hi Alex

Wow that is cheap! And would you recommend it?
Futaba!!!!
Dirkboots
Ooops forgot to turn the fuel back on!
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch

Unread post by Dirkboots » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:16 pm

Bryden wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:32 am
If you used the correct word, emigrating, you may get many more hits. immigrate is to come in. 8) 8) :D
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Dankie.
Oh? So you want to argue? BRING IT! I got my caps lock On!!
cabeng
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rotorua -NZRO
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by cabeng » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:00 pm

extra300s wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:07 am
Hi Alex

Wow that is cheap! And would you recommend it?
Karl . All i can say is that for me and my family i recomend it and would do it every time if the circumstances for us were the same. Its a very personal descision and each family will have different goals and motivation.

3 years down the line it is extremely clear that we have made the right descision. My children have a future here, the color of their skin or the country of their birth has no bearing on their future opportunities at all! We sleep well at night and even go shopping well after 10 pm with looking over our shoulders.... living the dream
Clearly Weekends are made in china . They simply dont last !
Casllab
Steep Turn Right
Closest Airfield: Bristol International
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Emigration - Lessons Learned

Unread post by Casllab » Wed May 01, 2019 2:51 pm

I was one of those that sold some stuff due to having left SA. Been in the UK for 6 months, loving it here. Weather isn't nearly as bad as people say and whats more, it's much safer, relatively speaking that SA. The other day we realised we'd left our front door unlocked, no idea how long it had been like that and I don't even bother locking my car at night. Not being careless, it's just not such a big concern here. We were lucky, we left via the Ancestral route and got an 'easy' way in and after 5 years we'll apply for indefinite leave to remain after which citizenship. I know many people who want to leave but just can't, for a long time we were in that position as we didn't know we had this option. Do I miss SA ? In some ways, yes. Family and friends are the hardest part but will I ever want to come back (other than for a holiday)? Absolutely not. For a family of 5, it wasn't cheap to get here but worth every Rand spent.
topflight
Engine full power confirmed
Closest Airfield: North Shore

Unread post by topflight » Fri May 03, 2019 5:05 am

cabeng wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:45 am
We left SA 3 years ago and came to NZ
Firstly i must say that it is illegal for me to give immigration advice to anyone coming to NZ as i am not a legal agent ( yip its the law) however everything you need to know is on The INZ website,
We had no "funnies " ie. No sickness. No police clearance issues and were able to adequately proove relationship and qualifications so have obtained resadency without the services of an agent ( saved big money) the entire process cost about R250 000.00 including a container. This covered amongst others. Visas. Medicals. Plane tickets. Pocket money/living moneyfor first month. House deposit (rental) and a cheap car (R12 000, yes that cheap. 3 years on still have it )
There is some fine detail in this post that is important; housing is really expensive and rent is as well, South Island not that bad yet except Queenstown. A house worth 10 million rand in SA will look like the Queen's palace compared to a 1/2 bedroom house in NZ for the same price - but you get a lot more than that if you can look past that. You can still trust people, walk into a bank without multiple doors and 3cm thick glass to talk through and have stroll down the street at night without looking behind you.

I have moved to NZ a year ago...still here as this is home now.
You have never been lost until you have been lost at Mach 3.
There is nothing more useless than Fuel in the Fuel Truck, and Runway behind you.
hugo_visser
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by hugo_visser » Fri May 03, 2019 6:18 am

Moving to Whakatane, containers left yesterday, and all welcome to vista the new DRAADKAR lz on the main road along the coast to Opotoki. 680 Taneatua rd. Started with my son moving there, a life changing shock. Outlook to life has changed dramatically more positive and goals set MUCH bigger. For the first year will be fixing house, hangar/round barn, it will be tough, but have built several houses and hangars in my time. Have a fantastic KIWI neighbor, same age and living circumstances,he will take us fishing and I will take him flying. There used to be a runway on his farm. The rest is less important.
Looking for a name for our property, such as BLIKSEM, a scaffolding company in Papamoa, hed to stop and say hi, saffers making a name in NZ.
Draadkar pitstop, HOKAAI, Gatvol ?? ideas ??
Hugo.
002.jpg
001.jpg
013.jpg
030.jpg
006.jpg
TLB is going to help me lift the round barn / hangar and build a nice LZ. Do not ask how much it is costing, buckets full, but is does not matter, will be with my family, the most important lesson learnt at 60.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users liked the author hugo_visser for the post (total 2):
Ugly Ducklingflysouth
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 64 times

Unread post by Jack Welles » Fri May 03, 2019 8:45 am

cabeng wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:00 pm
My children have a future here, the color of their skin or the country of their birth has no bearing on their future opportunities at all!
With the greatest respect this is not strictly true. NZ has an affirmative action quota system favouring Maoris over others in place from (IIRC) school rugby teams to university places. This must have a practical affect on the number of places that are available on merit, which must affect the opportunities of non-Maoris.
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
Peblehead
Avionics Master On
Closest Airfield: Foar26ly
Has liked: 4 times

Unread post by Peblehead » Fri May 03, 2019 8:52 am

I have read with interest the comments on the prev threads.
Spain UK NZ and so on...

Yet no one mentioned Panama ?
Great Wx, 5000USD buys you a Passport ( now you have both) you can open a bank account and move money legally, you can own property, medical facilities are as good as anywhere else, currency is real USD and money is safe with all the large banks having representation.

If you have a trade (plumber, electrician) you will have employment before you arrive, and they welcome people, housing in the city is a no go pricy, but in the suburbs very affordable.

You need ZAR 150k to set you up in total with banks and immigration and the legal stuff, 150k in SA can't even buy you a small car!
It's a short hop to NY or to the Caribbean, for those that like snow and winter .....well it's not for you.
HJK 414
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: EHTW
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 124 times

Unread post by HJK 414 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:15 am

Peblehead wrote: ↑
Fri May 03, 2019 8:52 am
I have read with interest the comments on the prev threads.
Spain UK NZ and so on...

Yet no one mentioned Panama ?
Great Wx, 5000USD buys you a Passport ( now you have both)......

Uhmmmm ......
that is a tad optimistic..... [-X

http://www.escapeartist.com/blog/get-se ... th-africa/

Great way to get a second passport though..... Which will open doors.

JK
The wisest mind has something yet to learn. ...
richard C
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 54 times

Unread post by richard C » Fri May 03, 2019 9:45 am

Dirkboots - would you like me to merge this thread with the long-running general thread on Emigration in the 123.45 section ?
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
Falafel
Climbing Out
Closest Airfield: FALA_LCY
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 35 times

Unread post by Falafel » Fri May 03, 2019 10:37 am

hugo_visser wrote: ↑
Fri May 03, 2019 6:18 am
Moving to Whakatane, containers left yesterday, and all welcome to vista the new DRAADKAR lz on the main road along the coast to Opotoki. 680 Taneatua rd. Started with my son moving there, a life changing shock. Outlook to life has changed dramatically more positive and goals set MUCH bigger. For the first year will be fixing house, hangar/round barn, it will be tough, but have built several houses and hangars in my time. Have a fantastic KIWI neighbor, same age and living circumstances,he will take us fishing and I will take him flying. There used to be a runway on his farm. The rest is less important.
Looking for a name for our property, such as BLIKSEM, a scaffolding company in Papamoa, hed to stop and say hi, saffers making a name in NZ.
Draadkar pitstop, HOKAAI, Gatvol ?? ideas ??
Hugo.002.jpg001.jpg013.jpg030.jpg006.jpg
TLB is going to help me lift the round barn / hangar and build a nice LZ. Do not ask how much it is costing, buckets full, but is does not matter, will be with my family, the most important lesson learnt at 60.
Hugo without blowing hot air... you seem like a real "can do" person... would really be interested in seeing the developments on your life there, if nothing else to inspire those of us who at the age of 45 are thinking we are too old to move... its really great to see and you have now made me think that much more can be done... maybe a thread when you land... living vicariously and all that :wink:

Return to β€œ123.45”