SACAA Validation

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

JP Schulze
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

SACAA Validation

Unread post by JP Schulze » Fri May 03, 2019 12:23 pm

Hoping there's someone that can shed some light on this.

I'm currently in Joburg, converting my Canadian License (PPL Portion) to an SA license so I can go on a Flying Safari through Southern Africa. I came out a week early to wrap this up and give me a bit of buffer to sort things out. My entire trip is planned out and a lot is at stake if I don't get this sorted in time.

I'm doing my Validation at Lanseria Flight Centre

The current hold up is, there seems to be a change in process on how the CAA deals with validations. The Air Law exam is no longer an internal exam, and they now require the full online PPL Air Law exam to be done. With a 5 day waiting period for results, and additional 5 day processing period to issue the license. Time that I just don't have, and no visiting pilot who's on holiday will have.

My main issue is, no one seems to know what is actually required, including the CAA. The online exam also requires a 7 day re-write period, which is another issue for visiting pilots if they can't satisfy the absurdity of some of the questions ( thats a whole other issue I'd like to discuss at some point)

Does anyone have current experience with Validations? What is actually the process, current process. Cause no one seems to know.

CAA has my validation letter from Canada and my Flight Test/assesment is done. The air law portion is the only hold up.

Thanks in Advance
JP
A mere 93 model.
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: SACAA Validation

Unread post by cage » Fri May 03, 2019 12:45 pm

JP Schulze wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:23 pm
..and they now require the full online PPL Air Law exam to be done. With a 5 day waiting period for results.
An online exam (especially PPL) you can schedule 24 hours in advance (usually availability) and you should be able to take this at the school you are training at or at the CAA midrand office.
The result is immediate.
PPL airlaw is not difficult and you could easily swat for it with any of the online mock exams which quite closely represent the actual exam.
You are correct about rewrite etc, no way around that except to pass.
JP Schulze
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by JP Schulze » Fri May 03, 2019 12:48 pm

cage wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:45 pm
JP Schulze wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:23 pm
..and they now require the full online PPL Air Law exam to be done. With a 5 day waiting period for results.
An online exam (especially PPL) you can schedule 24 hours in advance (usually availability) and you should be able to take this at the school you are training at or at the CAA midrand office.
The result is immediate.
PPL airlaw is not difficult and you could easily swat for it with any of the online mock exams which quite closely represent the actual exam.
You are correct about rewrite etc, no way around that except to pass.
Thanks Cage, Can you confirm this is the new procedure for CAA in terms of validations. The issue is, without a license, I dont have a license number, and can therefore not access the system. Catch 22
A mere 93 model.
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 116 times

Unread post by cage » Fri May 03, 2019 1:23 pm

Sorry JP, validations are beyond my pay grade.
From a testing perspective you need a license, spl is fine but I'm not familiar with the turnaround times on that these days.
Hopefully others can shed some light.
You do appear to be stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Spoke Eagle
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Silver Creek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by Spoke Eagle » Fri May 03, 2019 2:14 pm

0823031124. Nico Aviatech Krugersdorp
Spesk to him. You will need airlaw and English proficiency

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”