Nico Bezuidenhout returning to Mango?

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

flyhigh
Engine Started
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Nico Bezuidenhout returning to Mango?

Unread post by flyhigh » Tue May 07, 2019 5:57 am

Sylvain Bosc left Fastjet a couple of months ago, he’s at Qatar heading up their Europe commercial operation. I’m not sure about the effectivity of Nico, but that’s just my opinion.
These users liked the author flyhigh for the post:
helishaun
Flaps set for Take off
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by 738 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:27 am

Burner wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:34 am
MadMacs wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:20 am
What has the age of the aircraft got to do with anything, they are maintained to be as good as new all the time?
Exactly!! What irks me, is I think that comment came from a pilot!
Older aircraft = more scheduled down time for maintenance
Newer aircraft = less down time scheduled for maintenance

Older aircraft = more unscheduled maintenance
Newer aircraft = less unscheduled maintenance

Planning to fly a 21 aircraft schedule with only 19 operable aircraft Might be a problem.

Good luck to Nico Bezuidenhout.
Flaps set for Take off

Unread post by 738 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:32 am

MadMacs wrote:
What has the age of the aircraft got to do with anything, they are maintained to be as good as new all the time?
Yes in a perfect world thats how it should be
Burner
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 109 times

Unread post by Burner » Tue May 07, 2019 7:44 am

738 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:27 am
Burner wrote:
MadMacs wrote:

Planning to fly a 21 aircraft schedule with only 19 operable aircraft Might be a problem.

It's not the scheduled down time that affects on time performance for most airlines.

Scheduled maintenance is down time that is known well in advance.

It's running a schedule with zero room for delays, and then playing catch up all day to try get flights going on time.
Flaps set for Take off

Unread post by 738 » Tue May 07, 2019 8:28 am

Acsa stats
The advantages of having your own maintenance facility is obvious with Safair and Airlink stats. Now Mango has an aging fleet with suspect maintenance support, as does Comair, but Comair has a plan, what will Nico’s plan be on aging fleet and maintenance?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flaps set for Take off

Unread post by 738 » Tue May 07, 2019 8:38 am

Burner wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:44 am
738 wrote:
Burner wrote:

It's not the scheduled down time that affects on time performance for most airlines.

Scheduled maintenance is down time that is known well in advance.

It's running a schedule with zero room for delays, and then playing catch up all day to try get flights going on time.
Yes like Ryanair, 25 minute turn around between flights... thats what happens when you need to survive and don't get aircraft for free.....
Falafel
Power on stall
Closest Airfield: FALA_LCY
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 64 times

Unread post by Falafel » Tue May 07, 2019 9:00 am

Seems to be alot of faith put on Nico Bezuidenhout, but is there any proof that he actually is any good?

Do Mango report figures and financial performance separately and are costs allocated accurately to Mango in terms of "realistic costs" rather than in the pool of Billions for SAA :?: :?: :?: :?:

Or does GL just get on well with him and so assume because he is a nice oke he must be good [-X
evanb
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 47 times

Unread post by evanb » Tue May 07, 2019 2:35 pm

Let's be fair, Kulula's fleet is young. Of their 9x B737-800s, 6x came factory new and are now still less than 7 years old, 2x even less than 4 years old. One can't blame an old fleet.

Mango on the other hand have 14x B737-800s which are all 18 or 19 years old.
These users liked the author evanb for the post:
EDP
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: GRJ
Has liked: 296 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by MadMacs » Tue May 07, 2019 3:16 pm

738 wrote:
Burner wrote:
MadMacs wrote:

Rubbish to all your comment above. I'm not sure where you fell out of but no matter the age of the aircraft they are as good as new when signed out as airworthy. Maybe you equate a ten year old aircraft to your ten year old clanky car. Also a new aircraft can suffer from teething problems and have more delays than an older aircraft. If you're a pilot, I suggest you visit your maintenance facility to see how aircraft are maintained.
I'm not old, I'm 18 with 46 years of experience :D
Flaps set for Take off

Unread post by 738 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:45 pm

MadMacs wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:16 pm
738 wrote:
Burner wrote:

Rubbish to all your comment above. I'm not sure where you fell out of but no matter the age of the aircraft they are as good as new when signed out as airworthy. Maybe you equate a ten year old aircraft to your ten year old clanky car. Also a new aircraft can suffer from teething problems and have more delays than an older aircraft. If you're a pilot, I suggest you visit your maintenance facility to see how aircraft are maintained.
So then i must be the unlucky one, remember its an opinion, an opinion and trend i experienced based on 10 000 hrs of airline flying , %99 of the maintenance delays i had was on the older part of the fleet.

You seem to be experienced in your field, can you remember which aircraft went AOG the most? Older or newer aircraft?
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by MadMacs » Tue May 07, 2019 6:09 pm

738 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:45 pm
MadMacs wrote:
738 wrote:

So then i must be the unlucky one, remember its an opinion, an opinion and trend i experienced based on 10 000 hrs of airline flying , %99 of the maintenance delays i had was on the older part of the fleet.

You seem to be experienced in your field, can you remember which aircraft went AOG the most? Older or newer aircraft?
Just remember that there is a fixed schedule of maintenance that the aircraft go through and there is no difference between new or old aircraft, it all depends on hours flown.

I left SAA before the new 737's arrived and I can tell you that those old fluffy's went forever and were very reliable. You'd have to specify what type of maintenance delays you're experiencing and who is doing the maintenance before I can comment.

Take the B747's for instance, they gave us endless problems and in twenty years I rarely encountered a snag free logbook but we sweated blood to get them out on time. The A300's were a dream, they flew all day every day and never had any serious defects.

PS I also realize that i was a bit abrupt with my reply to you above, so I apologize.
These users liked the author MadMacs for the post:
Fransw
Flaps set for Take off

Unread post by 738 » Tue May 07, 2019 8:59 pm

MadMacs wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:09 pm
738 wrote:
MadMacs wrote:

Just remember that there is a fixed schedule of maintenance that the aircraft go through and there is no difference between new or old aircraft, it all depends on hours flown.

I left SAA before the new 737's arrived and I can tell you that those old fluffy's went forever and were very reliable. You'd have to specify what type of maintenance delays you're experiencing and who is doing the maintenance before I can comment.

Take the B747's for instance, they gave us endless problems and in twenty years I rarely encountered a snag free logbook but we sweated blood to get them out on time. The A300's were a dream, they flew all day every day and never had any serious defects.

PS I also realize that i was a bit abrupt with my reply to you above, so I apologize.

You left SAA before the 738 arrived?
Did you retire then?
I suggest you do not go and visit your old maintenance facility , you will be extremely disappointed.
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by MadMacs » Wed May 08, 2019 11:40 am

738 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:59 pm
MadMacs wrote:
738 wrote:

Did you retire then?
I suggest you do not go and visit your old maintenance facility , you will be extremely disappointed.
I left due to health issues. In what way will I be disappointed?
Flaps set for Take off

Unread post by 738 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:14 pm

MadMacs wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:40 am
738 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:59 pm
MadMacs wrote:

Did you retire then?
I left due to health issues. In what way will I be disappointed?
You are quite opinionated and forcible so for someone that left the industry 20 years ago.
I can’t be bothered.
Have a nice day
These users liked the author 738 for the post:
MadMacs
Caravan Driver
Changing Underwear
Has liked: 0

Unread post by Caravan Driver » Thu May 09, 2019 2:50 pm

GL wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:24 am
In my opinion kulula has slipped so badly in the past year or 3 that they are no competition to Safair and Mango:
OTP = worst. I cannot rely on kulula if I have a connecting flight. (It's not OK to shrug and say its not their fault but SAAT's)
PED policy = worst. Switch kindle e-readers off at Top of Descent - give me a break!
Pricing poor.
Discovery Vitality discounts harder to access - so I don't bother.
Car hire partners worst - (you can't let your aux revenue partners screw up your brand).
So kulula is my last choice.
And the absolute strike out was their initial refusal to ground their Max. Stupid beyond belief - passengers simply refused to fly the Max - and how do you explain what a Max looks like and what to do if they find they have been booked on a Max.
Wrenelle has her work cut out.
Tell me I'm wrong!
I heard that Comair decided to make a significant cut to their schedule in order to get their operation under control. Any truth?
"Pilots are a rare kind of human being... They take to the skies to purify their souls and only return to earth once they have received the communion of the infinite!"

Return to “Airline Chatter”