Aeroflot Sukhoi Superjet 100 involved in a serious incident during an emergency landing.

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

giarc64
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Aeroflot Sukhoi Superjet 100 involved in a serious incident during an emergency landing.

Unread post by giarc64 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:56 am

i always wonder what effect a tragedy like this has on surviving captain and cojo.

the heavy burden of command and overall responsibility and accountability.
ZU-CYB (Cubby No 1)
ZS-WPX (KR2)
Mfezi
Reaching GFA
Closest Airfield: FAKT
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: Aeroflot Sukhoi Superjet 100 involved in a serious incident during an emergency landing.

Unread post by Mfezi » Wed May 08, 2019 3:47 pm

MadMacs wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:33 am
With that amount of flames around the rear of the aircraft, the oxygen would get sucked right out and noxious fumes will incapacitate you very quickly, especially as only the forward doors were open and the idiots in front trying to get their bags out the overhead stowage. Very sad.
There are a large number of witness accounts posted on various Russian news sites. From what I gather, the people who did take suitcases were a very small minority. It also appears that it may not have made a lot of difference - according to some of the last witnesses that got out, no-one came from behind about the 12th row. I think what you describe about the lack of oxygen is exactly what happened - everyone aft of a certain row were overcome almost immediately and did not even attempt to get out.

I'll post a few here - my Russian is fairly good but Dany may be able to provide better translations:
Кирилл Бабаев подчеркивает, что сидящие рядом с ним люди быстро покидали горящий лайнер — никто не занимался спасением своей ручной клади. «У меня в самолете остались и паспорт, и удостоверение адвоката, и кошелек. В руках был только телефон — с ним я и выбежал с борта. Сейчас многие СМИ сообщают, что люди хватали с полок чемоданы и загородили проход остальным. Но я, наоборот, видел, как пассажиры помогали друг другу. Например, одна женщина упала на выходе. Так ее подняли и вывели на трап», — сообщил он.
Kirill Babaev stresses that those people sitting next to him quickly exited the burning airliner - no-one was busy with saving their hand luggage. "I left my passport, attorney's letter and wallet in the aircraft. All I had in my hands was my telephone, with which I ran out of the aircraft. Now many mass media reports that people were grabbing suitcases from the overhead containers and blocked the passage for the rest. However, on the contrary, I saw passengers help each other. For example, one woman fell on the way out. So, they lifted her up and took her to the ramp."
Одним из нескольких пассажиров, спасшихся с последних рядов, стал Олег Молчанов — по словам мужчины, самолет он покинул последним. «Женщины начали кричать на ультразвуке. Нечего пояснять, ор стоял, орали все. После 12-го ряда почти никто не выжил. Я вышел последний за мной с задних рядов не было людей. Те, кто был на передних рядах и не выбрался — угарный газ. Два раза хапнул, и все», — сообщил пассажир.
One of a few passengers who escaped from the back rows was Oleg Molchanov. According to the man's words, he was the last to leave the aircraft. "Woman started to scream in a high pitch. There is nothing to explain, the shouting remained, everyone screamed. After the 12th row almost no one survived. I left last, behind me from the rear rows there were no more people. Those who were in the front rows and who did not get out - carbon monoxide. I grabbed twice, and that was all".

And from another woman who also survived, Marina Sitnikova:
«Никто не думал, что жертв так много. Люди сказали, что задний выход был заблокирован, все выходили через передний. Даже пассажиры с девятого ряда не смогли спастись. Спаслись те, кто сидел в десятом, были счастливчики с двенадцатого, а дальше — никого. Я всех спрашивала, но из хвоста мы никого не видели в числе спасенных: у них выхода не было», — пояснила Ситникова.
"No one thought that there were so many victims. People said that the rear exit was blocked - everyone exited through the front. Even passengers from the 9th row could not escape. Those sitting in the 10th row were saved, there were lucky ones in the 12th, but then - no one. I asked everyone, but we did not see anyone from the tail among the saved: They had no way out"
Dragon
Rolling from unmanned
Closest Airfield: Morning Star
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 37 times

Unread post by Dragon » Wed May 08, 2019 4:49 pm

image.jpeg
Some witnesses state there was a pile up in row 10 with people grabbing their baggage this would have caused burns and inhalation injury to all behind that point if true.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wingnutter
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Chek Lap Kok VHHH
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Wingnutter » Wed May 08, 2019 6:27 pm

Dragon wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:49 pm
image.jpeg

Some witnesses state there was a pile up in row 10 with people grabbing their baggage this would have caused burns and inhalation injury to all behind that point if true.
I’m guessing red = didn’t make it, green - survived, orange - survived with injuries?
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.
Burner
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 98 times

Unread post by Burner » Wed May 08, 2019 6:57 pm

Wingnutter wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:27 pm
Dragon wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:49 pm
image.jpeg

I’m guessing red = didn’t make it, green - survived, orange - survived with injuries?
I count 45 red blocks including the cabin attendant who passed away. Isn't the official toll 41?
Ugly Duckling
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 253 times
Been liked: 185 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Wed May 08, 2019 7:06 pm

With sufficient warning fire & rescue services can be positioned in appropriate locations to respond with minimal delay.
These users liked the author Ugly Duckling for the post:
MadMacs
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
Dragon
Rolling from unmanned
Closest Airfield: Morning Star
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 37 times

Unread post by Dragon » Wed May 08, 2019 9:17 pm

Wingnutter wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:27 pm

Sorry guys I'm just passing it on as I found it so I have no answers or explanations, but I would assume so.
Aquila
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: VHHH or FAVB
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Aquila » Thu May 09, 2019 4:16 am

bladewalker wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:38 pm

FYI: 24R is still under construction and can not be considered as a usable surface. Last time I saw it a month ago, it was still just a gravel surface.
Ah okay I wouldn’t know what its current status is, I see its NOTAMed as closed until end of May. It is however included on charts with its relevant approaches so I would assume its very near to being usable. Either way I just mentioned that runway to illustrate how big airports can be.
Raccoon jet driver...

See Horizons!
RiNCEw1ND
Engine full power confirmed
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo International
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by RiNCEw1ND » Sat May 11, 2019 7:15 am

Here's a pretty good read about people removing luggage in an evacuation situation and some other factors to consider: http://www.nycaviation.com/2019/05/emot ... cies/41427
Romeo E.T.
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 100 times

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Tue May 14, 2019 11:50 pm

Airport camera view (new)

sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
Romeo E.T.
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Tue May 14, 2019 11:55 pm

Cabin footage from about 5nm Final up to the second HARD impact

sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

Walter105
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by Walter105 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:18 am

Romeo E.T. wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:55 pm

Don't want to judge before everything is known as to what was going on in the cockpit but at the moment it certainly seems as if the crew caused this with a very bad landing. :(
The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your arm.
Romeo E.T.
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Wed May 15, 2019 2:27 pm

Walter105 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:18 am
Romeo E.T. wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:55 pm

Don't want to judge before everything is known as to what was going on in the cockpit but at the moment it certainly seems as if the crew caused this with a very bad landing. :(
ME TOO !

I was following the thread on Pprune
and between all the posts by SLF's and C172 pilots criticizing etc, I did manage to gain an "impression", that the SU 100 has a similar FBW to the Airbus product, and that the approach and landing was done in "Direct Law", whatever the difficulty factor is, in that statement.

But one poster on Pprune dared a C172 pilot to not make assumptions, and that a "direct law" approach and landing is a serious piloting skill necessity.

Time will tell

Romeo E.T.
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Wed May 15, 2019 10:58 pm

enhanced landing sequence

heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 95 times

Unread post by heisan » Thu May 16, 2019 9:30 am

Romeo E.T. wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:58 pm
enhanced landing sequence

Interesting how the video skips from a normal looking flare to a nose-first landing?
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”