Bangladeshi Dash 8 Crash

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

DatRat
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Rand Airport
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 0

Bangladeshi Dash 8 Crash

Unread post by DatRat » Thu May 09, 2019 12:51 pm

A Biman Bangladeshi Airlines Dash 8 Q400 crash landed at Yangon airport, Myanmar. Reports about the cause of this crash are still sketchy at the moment but all passengers and crew are safe, getting treatment for their injuries at local hospitals. The flight originated from Dhaka-Shahjalal international airport (VGHS) to Yangon (VYYY).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richard C
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Bangladeshi Dash 8 Crash

Unread post by richard C » Thu May 09, 2019 2:46 pm

That was a very hard landing !!!
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
Volo
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by Volo » Thu May 09, 2019 4:12 pm

At very least Bombardier know that the tailplane is good for 20g's :?
These users liked the author Volo for the post (total 2):
DatRatBearcat
dr727
ATC Delay
Closest Airfield: Nelspruit
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by dr727 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:29 pm

it isn't a crash but an unintentional contact with the runway
These users liked the author dr727 for the post:
DatRat
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 196 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Thu May 09, 2019 4:30 pm

richard C wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:46 pm
That was a very hard landing !!!
Richard, I think you might have understated that!

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
Sea Rescue
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Sea Rescue » Thu May 09, 2019 5:48 pm

Wow !! - looking at the first picture, viewed from the rear, the anhedral on the wings made it look like a droopy winged B-52 bomber !!
Am sure the toilet roll in the "loo" looks like a flat-pack of tissues ??? And I feel for the folk who must have suffered spinal injuries from that lot ?? Maybe they must try and run their aircraft on straight Jet-A1 and stop adding a small spade of Curry-Powder in the tanks ?
Dragon
Paying Landing Fees
Closest Airfield: Morning Star
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by Dragon » Thu May 09, 2019 11:49 pm

No, there's something wrong with this picture, the bends are in the wrong places and the wrong directions- the gear are situated in the engines. This is no ordinary hard landing. He either landed hard with gear up to get that origami, or more likely he somehow ripped his gear off and then bounced around creating the appropriate origami. The wings are flexed down at the shoulders. With wheels down the wings would flex up there as the fuselage collapsed. Instead the fuselage was already on the ground and the wings have flexed down at the shoulder. Look at the nose, there is no ripple underneath with a droop, it has pushed upwards not flexed down. So it has hit something going forwards and flexed upwards. And the floor has been dragged behind a bakkie it is worn out from getting beaten up. I suspect this landed short or long or next to the runway and proceeded to dismantle itself on rough ground. If someone pulls a weather we will probably get the why.
African Flyer
Heli and Fixed Wing Pilot now best mates
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by African Flyer » Fri May 10, 2019 1:22 am

Dragon wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:49 pm
If someone pulls a weather we will probably get the why.
Reports are that it was raining heavily when they tried to land.
Positive rate! :D
richard C
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 54 times

Unread post by richard C » Fri May 10, 2019 8:21 am

Dragon wrote:
No, there's something wrong with this picture, the bends are in the wrong places and the wrong directions- the gear are situated in the engines. This is no ordinary hard landing. He either landed hard with gear up to get that origami, or more likely he somehow ripped his gear off and then bounced around creating the appropriate origami. The wings are flexed down at the shoulders. With wheels down the wings would flex up there as the fuselage collapsed. Instead the fuselage was already on the ground and the wings have flexed down at the shoulder. Look at the nose, there is no ripple underneath with a droop, it has pushed upwards not flexed down. So it has hit something going forwards and flexed upwards. And the floor has been dragged behind a bakkie it is worn out from getting beaten up. I suspect this landed short or long or next to the runway and proceeded to dismantle itself on rough ground. If someone pulls a weather we will probably get the why.
Now that was what I was thinking (but was not as observant as you !!). We have even seen aircraft spin in and look like this.

I can't believe there are no fatalities. It reminds me a little of the SFO B777 wreck - tail severed, wheels off, bottom ripped out and cabin floor collapsed, and main spar broken.
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
ScaleFF
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: EGSU
Has liked: 0

Unread post by ScaleFF » Fri May 10, 2019 6:37 pm

Dragon wrote:
Similar to this, just a bit less violent?

Dragon
Paying Landing Fees
Closest Airfield: Morning Star
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by Dragon » Fri May 10, 2019 7:17 pm

ScaleFF wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:37 pm
Dragon wrote:
Similar to this, just a bit less violent?

If you will indulge me, in actual fact this is a perfect example of why I don't believe it to be a hard landing onto the gear (and rather suspect the damage occurred after touch down when the gear ripped and it was farming.

Compare the damage to the wings on this crash to the Dash8 in ours
image.png
Notice in this one with gear down how the wings have only flexed down outboard of the gear, while at the shoulder where they connect to the fuselage the gear has tried to flex them upwards. In our Dash8 it is downwards here. The moment arm at the shoulder is in opposite direction in each case.

So I believe the Dash 8 did not lose its wings on touch down. It lost its wings after losing its gear so that it had huge weights hanging on its wings flexing all over the place because they now not supported from below as it bounced across unprepared turf, and wings are stressed more against bending upwards(positiveG) than downwards(negativeG) so it was a question of time before it sheared. I do think it ploughed across the ground like that though except not on a runway because it must have been mighty uneven to cause the damage we see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”